2016 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 667 times)

mikeymike

For those who will be traveling to our fair commonwealth for the marathon, there are 95 breweries in Massachusetts. Here's a map of them:

http://bostinno.streetwise.co/2016/01/22/new-england-craft-breweries-map-of-every-massachusetts-brewery/

Runners run

Sjpcollins

That's a lot of beer!! Does Boston do anything on the Monday night to celebrate your patriots day?

There is actually a pub here that sells beer from Boston. I think it's called (originally enough) Boston Larger....maybe.....not sure it has a green and silver label.  They also sell Samuel Adams but I didn't enjoy that.

mikeymike

Boston Lager is one of the Sam Adams beers. Thas easily the most famous and commercially successful beers to come out of Boston and helped launch the craft beer revolution back in the late 1980s. They are so successful that many don't consider them craft/micro anymore.

Most of the Patriots day celebrations happen during the day. Lexington has a big reenactment of the battle of Lexington and Concord and whatnot. In Boston, the marathon is the celebration. By Monday night most of us are pretty tuckered out.

Runners run

Cyberic

For those who will be traveling to our fair commonwealth for the marathon, there are 95 breweries in Massachusetts. Here's a map of them:

http://bostinno.streetwise.co/2016/01/22/new-england-craft-breweries-map-of-every-massachusetts-brewery/

Nice. Problem for me is that craft beer is made out of quality cereal, and therefore helps my bowel function. That is not my goal on this particular trip to Boston.

Sjpcollins

I see, I wondered if anything went on. I image a few runners will be out drinking that night any ways.

Boston lager is ok but I couldnt drink a lot of it, the taste wains on me. Craft beers and ciders are big in UK at the moment, and there's always a steady flow of German beer and European & Australian lager about

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

For the table.

First Boston. Goal is a PR at <3:20. Using Pfitz 18/55-70 plan. My wife is running her first Boston too.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

Not too sure what to put down for a goal now that I am working far more hours than I was in the past and spending much more time on my feet than I did for the last two buildups in 2015 and 2013. I think going under 2:35 would be within reach, but still a lofty goal that keeps me motivated to get in some high-level training. As always, much of this is contingent on the weather and staying healthy throughout the buildup, but I think it is attainable.

I have been battling some annoying injuries that have not caused me to miss much time, but have caused me to cut back on intensity and duration. It's also hard to stay motivated as I am doing almost all my mileage on my own and now that it is winter, taking that first step out the door after a long day at work when it is dark and cold outside is sometimes a challenge.

Sjpcollins

Ausen, impressive goal!  Doing a lot of running by myself too. Dark mornings and evenings aren't great. So been fitting in lunch time runs.  If your work has showers, that's the way to go

jfa

taking that first step out the door after a long day at work when it is dark and cold outside is sometimes a challenge.

That it is.  You're not alone. Lots of us are heading out with Patriot's Day on our minds.

Sjpcollins

Oh cool. Where will people head do you think ?

And on the subject, where's best for food in Boston, particularly places that do rice or pasta haha

Are we there yet?

FYI - there is a group forum "Boston and Beyond" - Password: ColtGoucher - all BOS runners welcome. Smile

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BostonandBeyond/forum

Basically, its a weekly post of mileage leaders and motivation leading up to race.. All are welcome. Perhaps its that extra kick of accountability you need for Apr 18th. Cheers and good luck.

Mostly harmless

Hi Julia!  Thanks so much for all the work you've put into this thread.  There are lots of great resources on the first page!  I was looking at that and was interested in the pace band that you linked to.  Unfortunately, it looks like that link no longer works.

I did some searching and found this link that offers some tips for pacing Boston.  It doesn't include a pace band but I suppose one could transfer the splits onto a homemade band if desired.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Julia1971

Hi Julia!  Thanks so much for all the work you've put into this thread.  There are lots of great resources on the first page!  I was looking at that and was interested in the pace band that you linked to.  Unfortunately, it looks like that link no longer works.

I did some searching and found this link that offers some tips for pacing Boston.  It doesn't include a pace band but I suppose one could transfer the splits onto a homemade band if desired.

Thanks!  Maybe next snow storm I'll go through and check all the links. Smile   I added the link to RunnersConnect (and will put in a plug for their podcast while I'm typing because it's awesome).  And, I also added FindMyMarathon.com, which has customized pace bands.

Cyberic

Thanks. Great link.

Julia1971

And on the subject, where's best for food in Boston, particularly places that do rice or pasta haha

FWIW, if you don't find a restaurant, I went to the pre-race pasta dinner for the first time last year and I was pretty happy with my decision.  My expectations were pretty low - food prepared to feed thousands of people is probably going to bland and sparse.  But, it was actually really tasty!  And, it felt like a potluck dinner at home where you could take as much (or as little) of anything as you wanted.  The only downside is the line going into the dinner was really long.  I want to say I waited maybe a half hour, which made me anxious since I was running a marathon the next day and I still had to walk to my hotel after...  In any event, I would definitely recommend it.