2016 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 667 times)

Mostly harmless

Thank you so much for all the advice! This has been a great deal of help. I was leaning toward option 2 already but now I'm convinced.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

I look my best blurry!

This is the 6th year I've registered and shown up in Boston consecutively, but this will only be the 4th one that I will hopefully run.  My Boston history has extreme highs and extreme lows.  I'll be happy with a middle ground performance.  Fingers crossed.

I ran 18 miles yesterday with my meniscus tear and piriformis syndrome but both kept quiet.  I am feeling optimistic.  Yay.  Let's run.

Sjpcollins

Well done on getting through 18 miles wannaberunner! Just a few weeks now, take it easy, perhaps avoid Sprint sessions and hills for a while.

Not long now folks!! #excited

I look my best blurry!

Well done on getting through 18 miles wannaberunner! Just a few weeks now, take it easy, perhaps avoid Sprint sessions and hills for a while.

Not long now folks!! #excited

Thank you!  No worries.  I don't do much speed work, unfortunately.  I will have to save that for another race.  I'm hoping that the easy running now will afford me some tempo runs and easy pick ups in the next few weeks.

Sjpcollins

If it helps, I find an intense 30 mile n cycle at 90 rpm or above (whatever you can manage) is a great a t cross training exercise.  If your legs can take it, it's worth doing.

Cyberic

I looked at the 2015 starting times and they were from 10:00 to 11:15, depending on which wave you were in. I have two questions about the time I should leave.

My first is about traffic. I'll be staying in Somerville with my wife, who's not running. Should I ask her to drive me to the starting line, or should I take the subway to the finish line, and then take the bus to the starting line, with the runners?

My second depends on the first answer.

Either:

- How long does it take to drive from Somerville to the starting line, on marathon morning?

Or:

- How long before race start should I show up at the finish line to catch the bus?

Thanks.

xhristopher

I looked at the 2015 starting times and they were from 10:00 to 11:15, depending on which wave you were in. I have two questions about the time I should leave.

My first is about traffic. I'll be staying in Somerville with my wife, who's not running. Should I ask her to drive me to the starting line, or should I take the subway to the finish line, and then take the bus to the starting line, with the runners?

Either:

- How long does it take to drive from Somerville to the starting line, on marathon morning?

Or:

- How long before race start should I show up at the finish line to catch the bus?

Thanks.

Did you get the email sent to runners yesterday from the BAA about transportation? It links to answers that address many of your questions.

Cyberic

Did you get the email sent to runners yesterday from the BAA about transportation? It links to answers that address many of your questions.

Thanks. I did. I feel pretty stupid now, lol. I'll start by rading that.

New skirt in town

My annual pre-race par-TAY is on!  Please feel free to stop by, grab some carbs, some drinks, and some sunscreen.  Right across the street from the Expo! More information here:https://www.facebook.com/events/599156680233256/

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

I just saw this thread, new to RunningAhead, but glad to be part of the group!

I'll be at Boston this year as well, 3rd one, looking to make my swing for the fences attempt.   I've been using a self modified version of the Jack Daniel's Running Formula (Plan C from the First Edition).     I'm hoping 2:45-2:50 goal time.

Looking forward to following this thread and good luck with all the training!!

Kyle

Julia1971

Given the post about a party...  I'm happy to try to organize something but I get the sense that people are staying all over the Greater Boston area and that may be difficult.  Maybe we can have an online "party" of sorts and increase the traffic in this thread that weekend with pictures/comments about what we're all up to that weekend.

I'm excited that for the first time, I'm staying near Boylston!  Whoop!  Whoop!  (In previous years, I've stayed at The Langham, which is the happy place I go to when things go wrong in my personal life.)

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

Either:

Or:

Thanks.

You are probably better off taking the subway to the finish and then bus to the start. I've always stayed with family in Concord and had a non-running family member drive me to the start which has worked out fine, but Concord is closer to the start than Somerville.

Plan to get wherever you need to be early -- there may be lines and waits. The starting villages are fine to hang out for a while if you need to. Bring a large garbage bag to sit on since the ground may be damp.

Another consideration for anyone not taking the bus to the start: you will only be able to check bags at the finish line area so if you go directly to the start, you will not be able to check a bag.

Cyberic

You are probably better off taking the subway to the finish and then bus to the start. I've always stayed with family in Concord and had a non-running family member drive me to the start which has worked out fine, but Concord is closer to the start than Somerville.

Plan to get wherever you need to be early -- there may be lines and waits. The starting villages are fine to hang out for a while if you need to. Bring a large garbage bag to sit on since the ground may be damp.

Another consideration for anyone not taking the bus to the start: you will only be able to check bags at the finish line area so if you go directly to the start, you will not be able to check a bag.

Thanks a lot for the info.

I look my best blurry!

I have been the cross training queen since I started this habit but I am not very inspired this year.  I have been able to run which almost takes the fire out of me.  LOL

If it helps, I find an intense 30 mile n cycle at 90 rpm or above (whatever you can manage) is a great a t cross training exercise.  If your legs can take it, it's worth doing.

Dreamn

Bib numbers and corrals have posted Smile.