Darn the time change...it's back to the treadmill. (Read 859 times)

I run my childcare program 7:30-5:30. Until today I was heading out the door right after closing, and I had time for 4 miles or so. Now it's beginning to get dark by the time I get changed. There's not enough daylight in the morning for me to run, shower, and open up. So I guess it's back to the treadmill, at least on weekdays. Undecided It's funny, because I used to do ALL my running on treadmills, and now I really just can't stand them. BOOOOORIIIIIIING! Hopefully I can find a group to run with during the week, but I'm too afraid to run alone in the dark--I'm a girl!

Member Since 2008

I run in the dark all of the time. Just wear bright clothes and carry a flashlight.
        They have little bottles of mace that have a hand strap at my running store.
        You may find my running Vlog at Run Cast TV and my running log here
        Tykesmom

I've had to start running in the dark as well. I just make sure that I have plenty of reflective gear on, and now I even have a headlight! Found it online - it's a small, but bright LED light that fits over the brim of my baseball cap - I can see where I'm going and cars can see me! I also carry a little can of pepper spray in my pocket. I guess I'm lucky to live in a neighborhood where there are lots of runners and walkers, so it's not too scary. You have my sympathies - I HATE the treadmill Angry
            I hear ya! I started working 7:30-3:30 so I can come home when there's still light enough to run, because I live in Baltimore, and running at night in the dark = baad idea. I wish i could get up early and run in the morning, but I am so not a morning person...
              It's not so much that I'm afraid people won't see me--I'm afraid of someone getting me. I'm going to really try to find a running buddy or group.

Best Present Ever

Funny, I am thrilled with the time change. I run in the early morning, and now it's a bit light at the end of my run, as opposed to being pitch black the entire time. Plus i can easily get my kids to bed earlier because it's dark earlier. They can tell time, but don't seem to really notice the time. The whole evening routine is a lot easier. I guess there's no pleasing everyone ...
                  I run my childcare program 7:30-5:30. Until today I was heading out the door right after closing, and I had time for 4 miles or so. Now it's beginning to get dark by the time I get changed. There's not enough daylight in the morning for me to run, shower, and open up. So I guess it's back to the treadmill, at least on weekdays. Undecided It's funny, because I used to do ALL my running on treadmills, and now I really just can't stand them. BOOOOORIIIIIIING! Hopefully I can find a group to run with during the week, but I'm too afraid to run alone in the dark--I'm a girl!
                  I'm with you - I hate running in the dark, but I hate the treadmill even worse....I do run on the TM sometimes (about once per week) but greatly prefer out of doors.......Hopefully you can find a running partner...... How about Mr. waytogomon.......maybe you can get him to running..... Smile Big grin Wink

Champions are made when no one is watching

Last winter I somehow managed to do just about all my runs that were going to be under 40 minutes on one of those blasted things. I'm not sure how I managed to stay sane. It's usually dark by the time I have to go to work, and dark after...so yeah running in the dark is totally the way to go. Relatively safe neighborhoods, street lights, and avoiding the treacherous side-walks is how I manage it usually. Besides, I seem to run better in the cold anyway.

~J

A Saucy Wench

I run in the dark too. Most of the time I am not alone, but sometimes I am. Even though statistically evening is safer from attack, I prefer morning dark runs because of less traffic. I'm definitely more afraid of cars than people.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I'm definitely more afraid of cars than people.
                        I agree. The streets in my town are always super busy. I've found that early in the morning (before the high school kids are heading to class) is perfect. My fear of running in the dark has not been because of being attacked, it's mostly for the fear of being hit by a car OR the fact that I'm clumsy and I'm very likely to roll an ankle or do a face-plant onto a curb! Blush MTA: I like having a treadmill to rely on for those hectic or bad weather days. I actually just got a new (slightly used) treadmill from my boss. My previous treadmill finally gave up the fight about a week ago and I was worried about what to do about my winter mileage.

Michelle

uncontrollable

My treadmill broke - I am so mad! I do have a gym membership but sometimes I just like to hop on right @ home. Confused

peace

Bugs

I run at 5:30 in the dark. I'm not convinced it is any more unsafe than when it is light out. I would advise staying in a well lighted street with a reasonable amount of traffic.

Bugs

Kimmie

you know, I have people to run with but my neighborhood just isn't very well lit. I think I will go get a head lamp because I really prefer to get my runs in during the morning hours. Just don't give up! You'll figure it out.

uncontrollable

I run at 5:30 in the dark. I'm not convinced it is any more unsafe than when it is light out. I would advise staying in a well lighted street with a reasonable amount of traffic.
                                I'm glad to hear you do that - I am going to make that part of my routine as well. You can see the headlights well enough ahead to move to the side. I LOVE the fresh air - even in the dark. I'm stuck in the hospital working 12hr shifts so I know if I can just get in the habit of getting up earlier - it will be worth it.

peace