What's a recommended running jacket for cold and/or rainy days? (Read 127 times)

Antonio3535

I've started running 6 months ago, just 30 mins 3 days a week, I'm 55.  I usually run with a heavy raincoat, a bit too heavy and makes me sweat!.  I wonder who can advice some nice running jacket for cold and/or a waterproof jacket if possible.

Any recommendation for experience runners?  Nothing expensive please.

Cheers!

Christirei

you might just go to Target and check out their Champion line, they have some pretty good stuff and it sounds like you aren't out a long time so it would be probably be sufficient for what you need. Its generally not to pricey either and tends to hold up well, i have two pairs of Champion tights and they have been great and lasted me more than one season

paul2432

What temperatures are you running in?

I wear a lightweight fleece jacket; getting a little wet doesn't affect your comfort much. The fleece won't absorb water like a sponge (or cotton) jacket, and having a full zipper to regulate temps helps a lot. THICK fleece is no bueno, unless it's below 20 degrees f (and it sure won't be RAINING if it is).

If it's raining, you are breaking Rule #1 by running in it. But if you MUST be a rule breaker scofflaw, there are several good lightweight water resistant jackets, what we old people used to call "windbreakers", that will keep you dry without getting to hot. And you can layer them over a thin fleece for cooler temps. I can't find the exact model, but I have a Northface jacket that is somewhere between the Flight RKT and the L5 that packs into it's own pocket down to something smaller than a beer can and weighs just a few ounces. The fabric is almost transparent it's so light.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

JMac11

RIP Milkman

What temperatures are you running in?

This has to be answered before advice can be given. 55 and rain is very different than 40 and rain.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Cyclists are the experts on spending hours outside exercising in rain.

After Boston 2018, I bought a cycling rain coat.  Best purchase ever.  It keeps me dry and not-too-warm-not-too-cold for both easy runs and workouts in anything between 32 and 50 degrees with rain.  And the "butt-overhang" that cycling tops have (for lack of a better term) keeps my rear end nice and dry and warm.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Village people

Cyclists are the experts on spending hours outside exercising in rain.

After Boston 2018, I bought a cycling rain coat.  Best purchase ever.  It keeps me dry and not-too-warm-not-too-cold for both easy runs and workouts in anything between 32 and 50 degrees with rain.  And the "butt-overhang" that cycling tops have (for lack of a better term) keeps my rear end nice and dry and warm.

I purchased a Sugoi cycling jacket on eBay a few years ago. I row in it but it would be great for cold rainy runs.

I forgot about the cycling clothes!

Something people forget about is the water run-off from a rain jacket, and your shorts/tights/pants get soaking wet. The butt overhang at least keeps your butt dry, and maybe if you're lucky it drips off behind you and not on the back of your legs. Cycling tights can be found with waterproof fronts.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

morphex

I've used a very light rain jacket for cycling. With a zipper in front, and optional layers of clothes underneath, it's enough - flexible.

It's very colorful too - bright orange - so easy to spot.

On Instagram at https://instagram.com/morphexx

On Twitter at https://twitter.com/blogologue

Blogging at http://blogologue.com

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Cycling tights can be found with waterproof fronts.

Just avoid the ones with the chamois...'cause running in those would be uncomfortable. I've seen a few people do duathlons in regular cycling shorts and I don't know how that can doesn't feel awkward as hell.

One of my favorite cold and rainy run jackets is a Gore (NOT Gore-Tex...I don't think the companies are connected) cycling jacket. It's super lightweight and breathable, but sheds water really well. It's kind of magic. It's about a decade old, so I'm not sure what model it might be or if it's even still made.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

The best value rain jacket I have is a North Face model. Fairly breathable, pit zips, full zipper, adjustable hood. Get one of these on sale and you're golden for a great price.

The best quality rain jacket I own is a Columbia Outdry Ex Calderado,  no longer made. That sucker was spendy ($200 list price) but I'll be glad I have it on my rainy long run this week. Very light and breathable.

I used to have a jacket called the Asics Storm Shelter Jacket. I got it as a gift.

When is it cold and/or wet enough for the Asics Storm Shelter jacket, you may ask? Never. It has never been cold or wet enough that I didn't overheat in the Asics Storm Shelter Jacket.

Runners run

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I used to have a jacket called the Asics Storm Shelter Jacket. I got it as a gift.

When is it cold and/or wet enough for the Asics Storm Shelter jacket, you may ask? Never. It has never been cold or wet enough that I didn't overheat in the Asics Storm Shelter Jacket.

If a jacket for cold and wet weather came with a guarantee that the weather would never be bad enough to need it, I'd buy that jacket in an instance.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

The Asics Storm Shelter Jacket can't prevent extremely cold or wet weather but it can give you the option of having your core be too hot instead of too cold, for those times when you'd prefer that.

Runners run

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Another view is to buy a windbreaker and treat it like a wetsuit -- you get wet, but keep the warm water near your body.  If I bought a rain-"proof" jacket I would soak it from the inside anyway -- especially since they usually aren't very breathable.  So, any cheap running windbreaker will do down to 30F or so.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do