Important (Read 1503 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

so tell me about cooking in the crockpot.  I'm not against them in principle, and I prepare and like a lot of the kind of food that ought to be good when cooked in a crockpot (soups, dried beans, braised things).  I've generally been dissatisfied with the food I make in the crockpot, though.  The beans are often mushy, the food doesn't taste that good. Spices lose their flavor, the veggies end up mushy and tasteless.  I don't even like steel cut oats in the crockpot -- too mushy.  THe only time I've used it for oats is when I host a post-run brunch -- it's nice to to put the oats in the crockpot and clear the stovetop for my husband to use for bacon and whole wheat pancakes.

Am I doing something wrong, crockpot-wise?

The only way to problem solve is for you to walk us through what you are doing.  Crockpots are generally fairly foolproof; most beans get to a certain level of firmness and then hold that.

Also, your use of the word "mushy" reminds me of this:

have you ever went over a friends house to eat
    and the food just aint no good
    i mean the macaroni's soggy the peas are mushed
    and the chicken tastes like wood
    so you try to play it off like you think you can
    by sayin that youre full
    and then your friend says momma he's just being polite
    he aint finished uh uh that's bull
    so your heart starts pumpin and you think of a lie
    and you say that you already ate
    and your friend says man there's plenty of food
    so you pile some more on your plate
    while the stinky foods steamin your mind starts to dreamin
    of the moment that it's time to leave
    and then you look at your plate and your chickens slowly rottin
    into something that looks like cheese
    oh so you say that's it i got to leave this place
    i dont care what these people think
    im just sittin here makin myself nauseous
    with this ugly food that stinks
    so you bust out the door while its still closed
    still sick from the food you ate
    and then you run to the store for quick relief
    from a bottle of kaopectate
    and then you call your friend two weeks later
    to see how he has been
    and he says i understand about the food
    baby bubbah but we're still friends

The oats stick to any surface but teflon.  The cast iron is easier to clean if only because I can burn any residue off if I need.

FWIW, my DO is actually a chicken fryer.  It is great. I would never use the coals-holding top that the traditional DO has, and this does everything else and has a handle.

Who makes that? I likey. A LOT.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Best Present Ever

I've never heard that song, but I've been invited to dinners like that.  I've never cut and run, but I've wanted to. 

My experience with beans is that when they're cooked too long, they get mushy, whether on the stove or crockpot.  It' s just that on the stove I can monitor.  (I guess I could monitor the crockpot too, but the point is not to have to).  I mean, split peas or lentils get mushy, and i don't mind, but they don't take long enough for the slow cooker to seem worth it. 

Imminent Catastrophe

FWIW, my DO is actually a chicken fryer.  It is great. I would never use the coals-holding top that the traditional DO has, and this does everything else and has a handle.

Now I want some fried chicken. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I've never heard that song, but I've been invited to dinners like that.  I've never cut and run, but I've wanted to. 

My experience with beans is that when they're cooked too long, they get mushy, whether on the stove or crockpot.  It' s just that on the stove I can monitor.  (I guess I could monitor the crockpot too, but the point is not to have to).  I mean, split peas or lentils get mushy, and i don't mind, but they don't take long enough for the slow cooker to seem worth it. 

I put unsoaked dried beans into the crockpot.  I add 3-4x the bean volume in liquid.  I turn on the crockpot.  6-8 hours later, the beans are perfect.  These are red beans, pintos, black beans, etc.  Not lentils or split peas or mung beans, of course.

Arguably, that song was the first rap song.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I put unsoaked dried beans into the crockpot.  I add 3-4x the bean volume in liquid.  I turn on the crockpot.  6-8 hours later, the beans are perfect.  These are red beans, pintos, black beans, etc.  Not lentils or split peas or mung beans, of course.

Arguably, that song was the first rap song.

Trent, is that 6-8 hours on low?

A Saucy Wench

Trent, is that 6-8 hours on low?

I do "refried" 8 hours on high....but again they are supposed to be very soft when done.  But I didnt find them much too soft.  I had tossed in the ham rind from Xmas dinner for flavor and the pot liquor was really good so I kept it with a few unmashed beans and had hot bean soup.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I think it is low, yes.  It does not have any real controls.  Just on and off and time buttons.  Did I mention, it came from CostCo? Wink

A Saucy Wench

I think it is low, yes.  It does not have any real controls.  Just on and off and time buttons.  Did I mention, it came from CostCo? Wink

You know if one were to do an analysis of your internet postings one might thing you were a sales rep FOR the companies you most despise.  Panera.  Costco. 

With the exception of some little marathon somewhere.

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Lazy idiot

You think he doesn't despise that little rinky dink marathon?

Oh, wait... that's me. 

Tick tock

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Does the Flying Monkey 5K Marathon start before or after the Flying Monkey Half-Marathon?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Imminent Catastrophe

Does the Flying Monkey 5K Marathon start before or after the Flying Monkey Half-Marathon?

It starts at the same time as the Flying Monkey 100-miler.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I couldn't do it without your help.

A Saucy Wench

I couldn't do it without your help.

hee hee.  I like the way it rolls off the keyboard.

Well, at least I didnt go find any REALLY interesting  forums to googlespam you in....yet.