Why Is the Republican Field So Extreme? (Read 2137 times)

I've voted in every local and national election  since I was able to vote

+1

I could not wait to register to vote once I turned 18 and have since also voted in every election.

Lateral shift: All mail voting. My county was the last hold out and still offered in person voting. It took a bill pushed through the state legislature to shut down this option and force everyone in county (and now state) to vote by mail.

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

Feeling the growl again

I think Romney is running a dumb campaign.  He continually lets himself get put on the defensive against Perry who gets held out as this brilliant governor of a successful state because Texas has created more jobs than Mass, despite the fact those were mostly low wage jobs that have not even kept up with the rate of increase in Texas' population.

Meanwhile Massachusetts' unemployment rate (7.4%) continues to be more than a full point lower than Texas' (8.5%), the median household income is higher, percent of adults who have graduated high school and have advanced degrees is higher, divorce rates are much lower, crime rates are much lower, murders per 100,000 people are about half of Texas', roads are safer, population is healthier, etc. etc.

And in health care it's not close.  Perry likes to mock "Romneycare" as the model for "Obamacare" but his state has the highest rate of uninsured residents in the US (27%) while Massachusetts hast he lowest (3%.)  And while it's true it did not stop the spiraling costs, since Romney passed the MA healthcare law, healthcare costs in MA have grown slower than they have in many other states, including Texas.

Maybe Romney is waiting until it's closer to primary season to lower the boom or hoping Perry will spiral out of control on his own and go down in a ball of flames without Romney having to get his hands dirty, but it would seem he's got ample material to work with if he ever wants to start actually campaigning.

I don't really buy into trying to compare stats between two such vastly different states outside of the proper context that may explain many of the described differences (for example, Massachusetts is not dealing with a huge influx of Hispanic workers both legal and not, or tens of thousands of Katrina transplants), but I would agree that his campaign has not seemed very organized or strategic in how they have approached positioning vs Perry.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

mikeymike

I don't really buy into trying to compare stats between two such vastly different states outside of the proper context that may explain many of the described differences

Neither do I, which is why it makes no sense for Romney to let Perry trumpet his "job growth" record and for him to turn defensive about how Massachusetts has "lagged behind" in job growth.  Tougher to grow jobs when you already have one of the lowest unemployment rates and highest per capita incomes in the country.

Runners run

Feeling the growl again

Neither do I, which is why it makes no sense for Romney to let Perry trumpet his "job growth" record and for him to turn defensive about how Massachusetts has "lagged behind" in job growth.  Tougher to grow jobs when you already have one of the lowest unemployment rates and highest per capita incomes in the country.

Agreed.

Kinda like a 22min 5Ker running a 3min PR and snickering at his buddy who "only took 20sec off" to run 15:10 or something.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Lateral shift: All mail voting. My county was the last hold out and still offered in person voting. It took a bill pushed through the state legislature to shut down this option and force everyone in county (and now state) to vote by mail.

This makes me a little sad.  Queuing up with your neighbors at the polling place is a kind of civic statement or ritual, even.

Feeling the growl again

This makes me a little sad.  Queuing up with your neighbors at the polling place is a kind of civic statement or ritual, even.

I see your point.  However, I also remember the headache of trying to drag a screaming infant and cranky 2-yr-old through the process with me.

You'll ruin your knees!

I see your point.  However, I also remember the headache of trying to drag a screaming infant and cranky 2-yr-old through the process with me.

...just try dragging a dead guy in there!  Sheesh! 

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

...just try dragging a dead guy in there!  Sheesh! 

Vote early and often!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Our kids got dragged in there when they weren't cranky.  Civics lesson, you know.  The dead guys came in through the back door.

came in through the back door.

Also known as the Devil's Playground.

Yeah- me too. I miss going up to the local fire station and seeing neighbors, local volunteers-we're in a  pretty small rural precinct.

For the last 12 years (2 different homes) I've voted in a church.  Which always seemed a little odd to me. 

Meanwhile Massachusetts' unemployment rate (7.4%) continues to be more than a full point lower than Texas' (8.5%), the median household income is higher, percent of adults who have graduated high school and have advanced degrees is higher, divorce rates are much lower, crime rates are much lower, murders per 100,000 people are about half of Texas', roads are safer, population is healthier, etc. etc.

And in health care it's not close.  Perry likes to mock "Romneycare" as the model for "Obamacare" but his state has the highest rate of uninsured residents in the US (27%) while Massachusetts hast he lowest (3%.)  And while it's true it did not stop the spiraling costs, since Romney passed the MA healthcare law, healthcare costs in MA have grown slower than they have in many other states, including Texas.

Massachusetts ahead of the curve again. I was living in Boston during the 1972 presidential election when McGovern's only win against Nixon was Massachusetts-great times. Within 2+ years Nixon resigned in disgrace.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

My sister is a 99% protestor of various things.  I told her to please leave the cops alone.  I added that the protestors should read "God Bless You Mr. Rosewater" by Vonnegut, quoting large sections of the book on their websites if they wish, and then go home.  Most everything they are trying to say was said in that book almost 50 years ago.  It's not like things have changed greatly.  Here is a sample:

Noah and a few like him perceived that the continent was indeed finite, and that venal office holders, legislators in particular could be persuaded to toss up great hunks of it for grabs, and to toss them in such a way as have them land where Noah and his kind were standing.

Thus did a handful of rapacious citizens come to control all that was worth controlling in America. Thus was the savage and stupid and entirely inappropriate and unnecessary and humorless American class system created. Honest and industrious, peaceful citizens were classed as bloodsuckers, if they asked for a living wage. And they saw that praise was reserved henceforth for those who devised means of getting paid enormously for committing crimes against which no laws had been passed. Thus the American Dream went belly up. turned green, bobbed to the scummy surface of cupidity unlimited , filled with gas, went bang in the noonday sun.

E Pluribus Unum is surely an ironic motto to inscribe on the currency of this Utopia gone bust, for every grotesquely rich American represents property, privileges, and pleasure that have been denied the many.An even more interactive motto, in light of the history made by the Noah Rosewaters, might be: Grab much too much, or you’ll get nothing at all.

It's not as short as "Jump you Fuckers".  So it doesn't fit on a sign.  But it's rather well written angst against the capitalistic machine.