More Science of Sport discussion on barefoot running (Read 2796 times)

mikeymike

A tiny amount. A typical week would see him running 160 miles, with about 4 - 6 mi barefoot (usually as a cool down jog on grass at a very low intensity). He likes "minimal" shoes - but then so do most elite distance runners be they track, road or trail. You don't see many 2:10 marathoners wearing Brooks Beasts.

Exactly my point.  Lots of elites do some barefoot running.  Hell if you add up the barefoot running that many of them do it might even add up to more miles per week barefoot than many of the loudest barefoot evangelists, but it's a tiny fraction of their total weekly mileage.

Runners run

Purdey

Self anointed title

Exactly my point.

Yep - I was backing you up! Smile

Thanks for posting this. 

This correlated with my experience: Learning - skill will improve and mechanics will be adjusted.  But not without risk...

...The eccentric load on the Achilles tendon and calf muscles is enormous. Your feet and ankles are working much harder, doing what is probably their job, what they are designed for, but they haven’t done it for many years, perhaps a lifetime! The end result is that the strain on the muscle and tendon systems is just enormous, and people break down very quickly....

I don't think these ideas limited to barefoot or Vibrams. They relate to any transition to less shoe.

I'm pretty flat-footed and started in really clunky shoes.  That was about three years ago.  Over time, I've moved to more neutral shoes.  Early this year, I did a lot of running in Kinvaras.  Too little, too soon. In hindsight, it overloaded my calves.  Breakdown, calf strain, months off. 

I'm back to the drawing board, and running in all kinds of shoes right now. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

I'm pretty flat-footed and started in really clunky shoes.  That was about three years ago.  Over time, I've moved to more neutral shoes.  Early this year, I did a lot of running in Kinvaras.  Too little, too soon. In hindsight, it overloaded my calves.  Breakdown, calf strain, months off. 

The Kayano and Trance are "really clunky" shoes?  I started in New Balance 1011/1012 and was thrilled to move to the lighter, faster Kayano!

Reading your post made me realize I may have followed the same path, taking my Achilles to the edge where it could (did) break with just a little extra stress.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

It's a process. Fun.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

SMART Approach

Been running in Saucony Mirage-4mm heel drop. They felt good so I ran most of my non long runs in them. I developed my first calf strain in 25 yrs of running. I am kind of a fraid to go back. For me, maybe too much too soon even though I am low miles.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Seanv2

I don't think these ideas limited to barefoot or Vibrams. They relate to any transition to less shoe.

I am feeling this too. Just moved down to the Brooks Ghost, the first "neutral" shoe I have ever run in. I really like the way they feel, but I am definitely getting some soreness in my calves.The plan for now is to switch back and forth between the ghosts and slightly clunkier Revennas.

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Why is it sideways?

1) Try new things, slowly and in moderation, so that you can concentrate on their effects.

2) Listen to your body.

3) Adjust!

Kinda funny that this guy isn't barefoot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=826HMLoiE_o

What shoe is he wearing? You get a real good look at the 3:05 mark.

mikeymike

That's a great video (for real.)

I remember we tried to i.d. the shoe a couple years ago when someone posted it.  Looks like some kind of Adidas cross trainer paired with brown dress socks.

Runners run

Lane

It's also easy to see that he's landing on his forefoot.

Can you imagine hunting an animal for 8 hours and then having to drag it back home?

SMART Approach

I am feeling this too. Just moved down to the Brooks Ghost, the first "neutral" shoe I have ever run in. I really like the way they feel, but I am definitely getting some soreness in my calves.The plan for now is to switch back and forth between the ghosts and slightly clunkier Revennas.

The Brooks Ghost is far from a minimalist shoe. I love it - great fit and cushioning, plenty of shoe.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

It's also easy to see that he's landing on his forefoot.

Can you imagine hunting an animal for 8 hours and then having to drag it back home?

Yes, I can imagine hunting an animal for 8 hours.

However, I just end up dragging myself back home.

But for me it's really more about being out in the woods for the day.

Seanv2

The Brooks Ghost is far from a minimalist shoe. I love it - great fit and cushioning, plenty of shoe.

Yeah, I love it too. My point was transitions between shoes should be undertaken carefully whether or not its "minimalist". The Ghost isn't a minimal shoe at all, but it is definitely less of a beast than my last shoe (the brooks ravenna) and I am feeling the difference in my calves.

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

SMART Approach

Maybe you need the stability????? The two shoes are very similar and almost identical in weight other than the Ravenna has a stability post.