More Science of Sport discussion on barefoot running (Read 2796 times)

xor

That looks like a mash-up of Mortal Kombat and High Heat Baseball.

I was thinking Sonic the Hedgehog doing his spin move but I like yours better. 

XLB?  sounds pretty cool.  I liked XFL.

xor

sport jester

He Hate Me

an amazing likeness

I just read all this. 

It proves that I am stupid.

Or at work.

Or just weak.

I need to go lower my IQ.

A penguin was driving through the desert when her car broke down....yada..yada...blew a seal.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

JimR

Jim, are you confused like me?  Or are you pointing to something that indicates Robert is The Snake?

Sorry, I didn't realized you'd l inked to that thread already.  No, nuttin there in that regard.

I'm assuming someone like sports jester just has this need to somehow be recognized or considered or something like that regarding his views, and this sparks a need to run around telling folks that he got someone out there to act on something he said.  So last time it was Sandy Snakenberg, and now it's whoever this Stew Smith (what's with all the 'S' names?) is that's mentioned jester in a blog.  And before that I think it was something he did that involved Nike and he felt the need to spread that around.

I imagine that IRL he runs around absolutely shoving this stuff at people, jumping on anyone that bites.  He talks like he's pretty used to being ridiculed but it won't stop him from insisting how poorer the world is for not listening to him.

It's entertaining but kinda like what I've decided with ricky dicky, I think I'll just refrain from being the audience.

xor

Honest question.

So there's Rich.

And there's sport jester.

There was also a dude who, among other things, wore womens' clothes.  NTTAWWT, of course, but it was just another in the long list of hmmmmm stuff that went with the guy's adamant (but odd) views on running.

Does anyone remember who the third dude was/is?  I've searched through RA a bit, because he showed up here a few years back, but I simply don't recall.

JimR

Honest question.

So there's Rich.

There was also a dude who, among other things, wore womens' clothes.  NTTAWWT, of course, but it was just another in the long list of hmmmmm stuff that went with the guy's adamant (but odd) views on running.

Does anyone remember who the third dude was/is?  I've searched through RA a bit, because he showed up here a few years back, but I simply don't recall.

nor do I.

---

Your sig:

"Nothing needs less justification than 'making others happy'. "  Sweet. From an episode of The Partridge Family."

Was that the episode that Keith wanted to produce classical music?  And I think it was Harold Gould who played the musician that critiqued is performance and I think utted that quote (I'm guessing this without googling)

xor

It was that episode!  haha!

Feeling the growl again

Honest question.

So there's Rich.

I recall this column in Discover magazine years back that talked about all the eccentric "scientists" (ie crackpots) that sent them letters and videos demonstrating their wild theories and thoroughly convinced of their own genius.  Of course if anyone disagreed they were labeled as "closed-minded" or inferior, and just didn't understand the genius.

Whenever Richard or sport jester post they sound exactly like the examples in this column.  I tried to find it, as it was thoroughly entertaining, but apparently it is too old for the internet to locate easily.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

JimR

It was that episode!  haha!

Hah!  I know my Partridge Family episodes, I tell ya.

Remember that one where Danny made Reuben look stupid?  Man, that one was a doozy.

I've been away from RA and this is what I come back to?

So, I googled the Robert in that artlcle Sport Jester linked to and found this:

http://www.wweek.com/portland/article-627-people_say_im_crazy.html

Dunno if it's the same, but amusing reading, as has been this thread.

And what I really had wanted to log onto RA to say was: I inadvertently washed my Garmin 305 in the washing machine earlier this month. It is fine. YMMV.

xor

Hah!  I know my Partridge Family episodes, I tell ya.

Remember that one where Danny made Reuben look stupid?  Man, that one was a doozy.

I saw one recently that I had totally forgotten about.  Bottom line was that there was a booking mistake and they landed at "a black club".  The back story was basically The Blues Brothers plot:  Evil Moneylenders were going to close down the club, and it was up to the family to put together a good show, attract people, and make money to save the day.  The Partridge Family.

The story involved them interacting with the two black dudes who ran the club.  One was Richard Pryor.

(I looked it up.  The episode was called "Soul Club" and Louis Gossett Jr was also in it)

THE PARTRIDGE FAMILY CAN DO ANYTHING

xor

I've been away from RA and this is what I come back to?

So, I googled the Robert in that artlcle Sport Jester linked to and found this:

http://www.wweek.com/portland/article-627-people_say_im_crazy.html

Dunno if it's the same, but amusing reading, as has been this thread.

And what I really had wanted to log onto RA to say was: I inadvertently washed my Garmin 305 in the washing machine earlier this month. It is fine. YMMV.

Oh.  Well sonofagun.  I have a feeling I found my "third person".  There isn't one.  It is sport jester.  And it wasn't cross-dressing, it was this:

"After leaving Portland State University, Vervloet found work impersonating a woman for a Portland phone-sex service. "Somebody told me, 'You don't know what it's like being a woman,' so I thought I'd find out," he explains. "But the real women [at the service] didn't like me because I made more money than they did."Vervloet then sold sex toys and donned rubber gloves to swab out private viewing booths at Fantasy Video. "I got what I wanted out of the job," he says. "People say 'sex sells,' and I wanted to know why.""

It must have been 4 or 5 years ago when a friend of mine showed me this mega-thread about "aerobic is dead" at good ol' CoolRunning website.  It was started with this guy by the name of Richard whom, for some reason, everybody was just attacking.  At first I felt it was not fair but, well, very quickly I recognized why.  So I guess I should be a bit careful but, I guess without knowing much of a history, I'd have to say Sport Jester has some intereseting things to say. 

It was back in 1973 when Frank Shorter came to Japan and won his third straight Fukuoka marathon title, he swang by and stopped at this physiologist's office.  He was measuring the balance when a person stands up and almost predicted the performance level.  I remember, in his comment, he said that it's actually harder to stand still (balancing) than running.  He said, for those who can run a marathon in 3 hours, can you stand still for 3 hours?  I've never done that; but then again, I know I'd get bored after about 10 minutes and it would drive me crazy!!  At any rate, it showed Shorter's balance graph and it predicted that one of his legs was significantly weaker than the other (I think I have the article somewhere).  He cam back a year later and won Fukuoka marathon for the fourth time but, as we know, finished second to Cierpinski in the Montreal Olympic marathon with practically one broken foot and never been the same since (though I think his Montreal Olympic marathon was the best and gutsiest of all his marathons).

I get very stiff and tight when I have to walk for a long time (like being dragged to a shopping mall by my wife and/or daughter and have to walk around for hours).  I'd much prefer to jog--it feels easier to me.  I've been naughty in the class and had to stand in the corner of the room for the length of the class (50 minutes) and it was a torture. 

I actually believe there's something to be said about the way you stand, the way you walk and the way you run. 

That being said, however, I think it's rather silly to claim that those millitary people who had to walk with 140lb weight on their back are "a better athlete" or "a better runner" than, well, runners.  Some of his claims seem to get rather childish; I don't think, if you run faster or run in the Olympics, that you are better equipped with "science of running".  In fact, I've seen so many people who are somewhat fast (not quite made it to the very top) and they think they hold all the keys.  I remember talking to Peter Snell and he was laughing about this Kiwi runner who's run 1:47 for 800m, not too shabby, but he claimed that he had all the answers.  "If you think you can compete against the rest of the world with 1:47, good luck!" he said.  Frankly, I have no idea what those things have got anything to do with being smart of intelligent.  By the way, I don't know if SJ has ever dealt with Kenyans but, surprisingly, they actually prefer thick bulky shoes to run in.  Them having been running around in barefoot while childhood just happens to be out of necessity--they ain't got no shoes while growing up!!  Have you seen a picture of Tergat nipping Ramaala at NYC marathon some years ago?  I was a bit surprised how he prefered such thick shoes--I think he was even wearing Nike Katana TRAINING shoes, not even racing flats.  I don't think them growing up not wearing shoes is THE reason why they run fast--it probably had helped; but not the cause of it. 

In regards to millitary program; I can't really respect any "fitness program" that still uses a 12-minute test or trying to see how far (fast) one can run over 1.5 miles.  I thought it was rather funny that SJ used a term "Jack Daniels' barf" but millitary is the one who's probably still using what's left over from World War II.