why do you want to run faster? (Read 218 times)

runningafast

Hi everyone,

I am thinking about trying to run faster and am interested in your thoughts on why you want to/try to/work to run faster?

thanks.

runningafast

So I can gloat about it, act like having an 85% or better age graded score is no big deal; basically humblebrag.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

1. Run more miles in less time.

2. It's fun.

3. Race day glory & trinkets.

Dave

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

Because i am the slowest i have been my whole life right now.

Been off for 3 weeks with a injury.

Going to try 3 miles in the morning.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

Because I like winning things.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

tcg

I want to continue to say I can place in my age group as long as possible. That's getting harder but I'll keep at it.

pedaling fool

Running slow is like plodding along -- it's uncomfortable; running fast has a certain fluidity -- it feels so good.

Christirei

so i can be the best runner that i can be, don't want to be satisfied with just being an everyday hobby jogger, if i'm going to put the work in i want to see some results

robwantstorun

Hi everyone,

I am thinking about trying to run faster and am interested in your thoughts on why you want to/try to/work to run faster?

thanks.

runningafast

I've been asking myself that and some related questions of late.  Some of the things mentioned above drove me to try to find ways to run faster - to compete with both myself and others.  Over the past few weeks though, I find myself rethinking the value of trying to run faster.

Do I need more medals, trophies, or what not?

What difference does it make at this point if I finish a race in the top of the field, the middle, or the rear?

What am I willing to sacrifice for a few seconds, even a few minutes, faster finish?

I recently completed the most intense training cycle I've ever done and it was pretty successful - second fastest 10k, top five half marathon, and new marathon PR.  All of those were great... but, in the end, they're just numbers with no value other than what I decide in my mind they have.  So, at least for the moment, I'm running less, eating less cautiously, spending more time with my elderly mother and my wife, etc. - trying to broaden my experiences and thinking about my PR's more as history than goals.

Maybe in a few weeks, months, or years, I'll find myself desiring to run faster again, but for now I think I'm going to be happy just thinking of myself as a "hobby jogger" - which is what I really am anyway.   :-)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

they're just numbers with no value other than what I decide in my mind they have.

Not entirely. There are lots of physiological benefits to pushing your body harder.  But, of course, it's your call. Enjoy life and jog as you wish. Smile

Lots of miles, mostly slow, sometimes fast....................

Why? Because you can.

Fast is relative.

This years fast is last years marathon pace.

Get off my porch

Why is it sideways?

So much of contemporary life requires restraint and reserve and repression. I like to run fast because I can do as I feel, I can let it rip, I can grimace and howl and fly. I can be an animal.

#artbydmcbride

I've got that extra gear......it feels great to slip it into place and pound down the road....

Runners run

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

I like winning.  Well, my age group, usually, but I've won a few small local races outright.

delicate flower

I race because I like to compete.  When I run faster, I do better in these running competitions.

<3