What time do you run? (Read 834 times)

Lozza

I run after work, about 7pm. I actually prefer running in the dark so no one can laugh at me! I do stick to well lit areas in the winter and keep the music low but I find it easier. I think because you can't see as far ahead, the run doesn't seem as long!

Just Be

There's something inherently relaxing about running at night. On my slower runs sometimes I get the feeling that I'm just floating along effortlessly, as if I am totally one with my environment. That only seems to happen in dimly lit areas, though.

an amazing likeness

Speaking of the scary, dark farm story...I once headed out on a run at around 9PM in the small, rural town of Luverne, MN. I had scoped out the area a bit, but wasn't all that familiar with things and as I left town it got very dark as the street lights faded behind me. Then a little ground fog came up and I decided that the best thing would be to run in the middle of the road, on the double yellow line. As the fog got denser, I had a sense that I wasn't alone. I could hear movement to the sides...and then...I ran into the back of a cow. Black as night Angus. Whoa that scared the bajeepers out of me. Shocked

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I have been running at 5 am for awhile now, only in a gym ( at our local complex, so no one is there) because i am too scared to run outside by myself ( i know, i'm a wus) but would love to start running outside and enjoy it more....so tell me what time do you do your runs, if the morning, how did you get over the fear? (if you had it to begin with)
          I have run at all hours, quite literally. I've never had a fear of running in the morning; nobody is out at that point and it's usually the most pleasant time to run as long as you get done before rush hour starts. Most of my runs are either at 6:00 am, noon, or 6:00 pm (sometimes 2 or 3 of those in 1 day) - that equates to before work, lunch time, or after work. I've also done runs in the middle of the night (2:00/3:00 am) but that was mostly in college. A few weeks ago I did a trail run at 8:00 pm, so it was quite dark by the time I finished around 9:30 or 10:00 - my friends kept going 'til midnight though. Headlamps are your friend if you run in the dark.

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

During the week I run at 5:30am, Thursday night I run with a group at 6:30pm and the weekends I get started 7:30 - 8am I enjoy running at 5:30am because it is quiet, cool and not many people or cars around. Bob http://bobrunner.blogspot.com
              I have been running at 5 am for awhile now, only in a gym ( at our local complex, so no one is there) because i am too scared to run outside by myself ( i know, i'm a wus) but would love to start running outside and enjoy it more....so tell me what time do you do your runs, if the morning, how did you get over the fear? (if you had it to begin with)
              I run at 5:45am and it's winter here in Aus so it's pitch black outside. Fortunately I live in a fairly safe neighbourhood, but even so I stick to main roads that are well-lit, and parks that are popular with other runners/fitness groups and have lamps around their tracks. During summer when it's light I run wherever. Either way I've never had a problem. I probably should carry my phone tho!
                I take off usually between 8-10pm depending on how warm it is that day and what I have going on. For me the later I run the better but I need at least 2-3 hours before I can sleep good. If I don't have to get up early the next day and especially if it is near a full moon, it isn't unusual for me to go out at 11pm. My preferred running surface is the middle of small residential streets so that I can avoid the crown. Love having the roads to myself. I guess I could do the same in the morning, though I don't function well early and I would have to be very early on a weekday to avoid traffic.

Old, Slow, Happy

I run after work in the evenings. I can usually get out about 5:00. I get out of bed at 5:00 am and get to work by 6:00. That doesn't give a slow guy like me time to get my miles in in the morning. When I am traveling on business, I run in the morning. Often I'm in the middle of a city (ie. Philadelphia, Orlando, Chicago, etc.). I always run on the streets in the cities. I've never been afraid. I probably should be, but I'm just a country boy and don't know any better. The worst thing that happened was in Orlando. It was bout 4:30 am. I was running past several "Gentlemen's Clubs". I guess the ladies were just going home when I was going past. They made several off-color comments about my body and especially my legs. They also invited me to go home with them. I was terribly offended. It upset me so bad that I ran past there everyday. Big grin

running buddies

I run in the early mornings most of the time. I'm not afraid (5'3" female) because I have my dogs with me. They may not be a complete deterrent to someone determined to do me harm, but they make me a much less easy target. I know not everyone has or wants a dog, but you could see if you could borrow one from a friend or neighbor. There are lots of unexercised dogs out there, with owners who would probably be grateful if you took them out. It might be complicated at first as the dog got used to running with you and not pulling you along.
                    "Be patient and tough. Someday this pain will be useful to you." Ovid 2009 Goals 1. Don't get injured 2. Run 3-4x/week for at least 30 minutes 3. participate in at least one run or tri (maybe 2) "And remember, Dead Freakin' Last is better than Did Not Finish which is way better than Did Not Start" (Allison)
                    JakeKnight

Shortly after donning my spiffy running shoes. Rarely before.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                      -----------------------------

adiaz16

Speaking of the scary, dark farm story...I once headed out on a run at around 9PM in the small, rural town of Luverne, MN. I had scoped out the area a bit, but wasn't all that familiar with things and as I left town it got very dark as the street lights faded behind me. Then a little ground fog came up and I decided that the best thing would be to run in the middle of the road, on the double yellow line. As the fog got denser, I had a sense that I wasn't alone. I could hear movement to the sides...and then...I ran into the back of a cow. Black as night Angus. Whoa that scared the bajeepers out of me. Shocked
                        i use to live in WI,,,i can only imagine running into a cow! i wonder who was more scared, you or the cow Big grin

Double IPA Please!

I live in PA..I run mid morning typically- every once and again Ill run in the evening. Running at the crack ass morning is just not for me- I'm not on top of my game and I feel my performance suffers as well.

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

I want to get out there around 5am, but this has not been happening. 8-11pm will be my usual run time now.

Vim

Purdey

Self anointed title

With two young children and a busy job... I run when I can. Usually about 0600 or lunchtime (sometimes both) and rarely in the evenings.

With two young children and a busy job... I run when I can. Usually about 0600 or lunchtime (sometimes both) and rarely in the evenings.
                                EXACTLY what I was about to post. For me, it's mostly just lunchtime, regardless of the weather. Has given me quite a few HTFU points.

http://www.runningnotes.net