Low Hematocrit (Read 2084 times)

I was supposed to donate some white blood cells for a research study at the hospital I work at (in exchange for $150!!). Today, I went down for a vein check, and she told me I was probably ineligible for the study because my hematocrit was only 29 (normal is 38), and my blood pressure was 99/56. I know that athletic people usually have low blood pressure, but that doesn't explain the low crit. I also understand that young women usually are slightly anemic because of their menstrual cycle, but I usually have a really light period, and I try to eat a lot of green veggies. The only thing I can think of is that I rarely eat red meat (too lazy to cook it). So I have two questions: 1) Any ideas as to why it is so low? and 2) what can I do to raise it? Just take an iron pill?
      There's always EPO. From what I understand Iron pills don't work very well. The thing about Iron is that you can get a ton of it in your diet very easily, but only a small fraction of it will be absorbed. There are two kinds of Iron. "Heme" and "Non-heme". All plants have Non-heme iron. Herbivores eat the plants, their body converts it into Heme iron in their blood. So when you eat the green veggies, you are eating non-heme iron. When you eat the cow, you are eating heme-iron. It's very difficult for the human body to make use of non-heme iron. Some people just don't have the blood pH to do it at all. Heme Iron is generally a much better source of iron than non-heme iron. Some vegetarians may have alternative ideas, but I think the best way to go is to eat some red meat every couple of days. It's also important to note that iron absorption is dependent on the presence of Vitamin C, and you need to make sure you are getting enough. Again, this is something that you would be better served getting from food rather than supplements. It is very common for runners, especially female runners, to become anemic.
      For message board success, follow these three easy steps in the correct order: 1) Read, 2) Comprehend, 3) Post.
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

29 is very low. You need to go see a doc. You need a bunch of blood tests and possibly a urinalysis and a colonoscopy depending on what the blood tests show.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

It is very common for runners, especially female runners, to become anemic.
          Yes. But not this anemic.
            29 is very low. You need to go see a doc. You need a bunch of blood tests and possibly a urinalysis and a colonoscopy depending on what the blood tests show.
            Thanks for the advice Trent and Easy_Tempo. I did have a problem with severe anemia about 5 years ago - I was taking aspirin for headaches, and the aspirin caused a stomach ulcer. My hematocrit at that point was 6, and I had to get several transfusions. Ever since then, I've always been relatively anemic, but that was quite a while ago, and I would think that the ulcer would have healed by now. Do you think this is something I should take care of right away? I'm flying to Montreal for a week-long research conference on Saturday, so I don't know whether I should go see the doctor before that or if it could wait until I get back. I have noticed that I've been pretty tired lately, but always thought that was because I've been increasing my mileage.
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Are you sure it was your crit that was 6 (as versus your hemoglobin, which is equivalent to about a hematocrit of 18)? 6 is fairly inconsistent with life. Both 18 and 6 are low. I would at least go to the doc to get some blood testing done now. And maybe a test for blood in your stool.
                whoops, yes it was hemoglobin, not hematocrit. Blush ok, sounds good. I'll make an appointment.
                  Listen to Trent, I'm just some guy on the internet who reads WebMD magazine while in the doctors office.
                  For message board success, follow these three easy steps in the correct order: 1) Read, 2) Comprehend, 3) Post.
                  swhitaker

Mine used to be 28 or 29 about 5 years ago. Things that raise it: potatoes, spinach (but you have to eat the right things with any vegetable that has iron in it), red meat, chicken... If you donate blood, they usually have a pamphlet that you can pick up and get more information about the things to eat. I never saw a doctor, but I expect mine was related to my period. Once I went onto bc it went away.
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

swhitaker - It just depends on the cause. Again, 28 is very low and it implies that something may be very wrong. If it is the result of heavy menstrual bleeding, it can be easily cured through dietary changes and possibly going on the pill. If it is due to GI bleeding or leukemia or something like that, it ain't gonna go away from eating spinach. There is only one way to know why the crit is that low: get checked out. If the testing results are reassuring, good for you, you have not lost anything except a few bucks. If it shows serious illness, then you have begun the process of getting it taken care of. There is little to be gained and much to be lost by ignoring serious medical signs and hoping that they go away.
                      swhitaker

I wasn't saying she shouldn't go to the doctor, just telling an alternative. I was 17/18 at the time so I didn't know that I should go to the doctor and the people at the blood bank (the only people who knew besides me) never said I should go to the doctor either. It didn't seem like a big deal, so I didn't go and didn't donate blood more than twice because of eligibility. It turned out okay, but I know that it isn't true for all people.
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Understood. Just making sure that others reading this don't get the wrong idea.
                            my mother's solution to all this is to simply eat a giant steak. She sure has my back!! Confused
                            xor

Eat enough giant steaks, and you'll have back too.

...among other things. Dead