Eating before early morning runs (Read 1177 times)

The shirtless wonder

For early morning long runs I wake up 2 hours prior to my departure time and eat a bagel. Then I go back to bed until my run time approaches. It was odd at first but it works well for me.
      I never eat before runing, main reason is I'd have to go to the bathroom anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hrs later Sad

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Yoda the 4-eared cat

Funny how different we are. If I run in the evening, around 7pm, the last time i will have eaten is around 1pm. I find it's my favourite time of the day. Good energy levels and no digestion issues. if I run in the morning, very rarely, if I don't eat I find it seriously hard going. Eating something small 15-20 minutes before going out is slightly better. As to the physiological benefits of one or the other, nothing to say. But I'd much rather enjoy my run than come back feeling like death. Tongue
          I usually run in the morning after a 15 hour shift and I try to get something down about 2 hours before I get home. Usually it will be something light like an apple or pudding and then I will drink some of the propel with caffeine to basically wake me back up
          2009 Goals...:
          -run more miles than 2008

-build base to train for 2010 Rome Marathon
            Another interesting article regarding this... http://www.clutchfitness.com/forums/view.php?pg=myth-fat-burning-zone
              I'm strictly a morning runner and I run on empty. From what I've read, during a run the digestive process slows down considerably so the body can optimize the energy needed for the working muscles. Anything I eat before a run would just sit in my stomach and make me uncomfortable.

C-R

By sheer coincidence I had my long run last night (usually a Sunday morning thing). I left immediately after dinner which consisted of chicken/cheese quesedillas (and yes picante sauce albeit medium spicy). I ran 11 miles at a 9:40 pace with avg HR of 138 (I practice Low Heart Rate training and this my current normal speed for my long run) and other than a little heavy feeling in the first mile, felt no discomfort or anything restricting my performance. This is not the first time I've run after meals and each time the run was normal. Now I don't believe I would eat this heavy on race day and I don't think I would be downing any buffalo wings or Thai food, but for me it doesn't seem to have any adverse effects. Running on empty for anything longer than a 10K would not be desirable and I think would impact my performance.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Hannibal Granite

When I run in the morning I have just a few few drinks of water or other beverage before I head out, my stomach just can't handle a lot of food in it before a run. In fact, I had to end my long run early yesterday because I was still full from a big dinner the night before. For a morning race I'll eat a banana or maybe part of a powerbar if I can have it eaten more than 2 hours before I'm starting the warm-up. The shorter the race(and therefore the more intense) the less I worry about having any food beforehand - I'd rather run a race a little hungry than a little full.

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

Wow, I'm surprised to hear so many "running on empty" folks. I could not survive more than 4 or 5 miles without my requisite Clif Bar about an hour before running. I admit on shorter runs, I feel "lighter" on empty but I hit a wall pretty quickly. Weight probably has a lot to do with this - at 190 lbs. my 250 calorie Clif Bar is a lot less to deal with than those of you that weigh less. Not to get too personal - but any 190 lbs plus runners go "on empty"?
                    2010 Goals: Danbury Half Marathon: <1:42:00; boston="" run="" to="" remember:=""></1:42:00;><1:42:00; nyc="" marathon:=""></1:42:00;><3:45:00; finish: run amuck and warrior dash! finish:="" run="" amuck="" and="" warrior=""></3:45:00; finish: run amuck and warrior dash!>
                      Not to get too personal - but any 190 lbs plus runners go "on empty"?
                      I'm in the low-190s now. My weight over the last two years has been in the 225-193 range, dropping to the current weight. As I posted earlier, under about 2 hours I don't eat, over 2 hours I do. If I run in the morning it's usually because I'm starting a very long run though and have to get an early start... my long runs are usually 4-12 hours. I always eat before the long stuff, regardless of time of day.
                        Not to get too personal - but any 190 lbs plus runners go "on empty"?
                        I'm not 190 plus anymore, but since arriving at RA last year I've dropped from 220 down to about 185. Sometimes I run on empty - sometimes I don't. For me, unless it's a long run - it really doesn't matter very much.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Scout7

If you slow down the pace, you can go much further. People overthink this sports nutrition stuff entirely too much.
                            If you slow down the pace, you can go much further. People overthink this sports nutrition stuff entirely too much.
                            Thanks. That's very helpful. I'll take that under consideration. Roll eyes
                              Here's Dr. Phil Maffetone's take on this. One of the regulars on the Low HR Training Forum emailed him. I get the impression that he is of the opinion that we all have different needs in regards to this issue. It's definitely worth reading. http://www.runningahead.com/groups/LOWHRTR/Forum/efd03491e11b4dd5a2d2e98f65bcfe60
                              Scout7

Thanks. That's very helpful. I'll take that under consideration. Roll eyes
                                I'm here to help.