Goal of Sub-3 Hour Marathon (Read 15845 times)

nice result sparky!
    - the grisly details http://alansmiles.blogspot.com
    kcam

Well done Sparky.

Re Victoria, I wouldn't call it an especially fast course. There are no really serious hills, but overall the constant rolling wears you down. But it is a very scenic course.

I have a new sig. 

yeah - I've ran the last 2 fulls and the HM the last 3 years their. It seems to be our fall vacation! I'd love to try Portland but the wife isn't ready for the full yet so is sticking to HM's. We also love the City so that's the other perk. I agree that its not an overly fast course - BUT I really don't know anything different so I'll be none the wiser. I'll save the uber-fast courses for the day when the PR's stop coming.

I like the new sig and suggest that everyone adopt the race strategy of "bhearn-like".

Congratulations, Sparky!

I saw your training log and it was very evident that you put in the disciplined training effort to make this happen.

Not too many runners can negative split on a sub-3 hour marathon - and now I've seen two of them right here on this thread...

You and Bhearn have set the standard for the rest of us trying to get there!

Best of luck on your continued running (hope you can nail the 2:55 next!)

John

Nice one, Sparky

You had me worried when you posted those splits, but I checked the web site and saw the 2:59:18. Not only did you nail the sub-3 but that was an impressive overall finish for a field that size. One of your 2 splits had to be a minute faster than what you posted.

Well done!

Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Thanks everyone!

Jim - Yes I just recalculated everything. I ran a 1:31:33 in the first half and a 1:27:45 second half. I've never been good at math and now painful memories of elementary addittion classes are coming back to me.

MTA: first half split time due to fat sloppy fingers

bhearn

Thanks everyone!

Jim - Yes I just recalculated everything. I ran a 1:32:33 in the first half and a 1:27:45 second half. I've never been good at math and now painful memories of elementary addittion classes are coming back to me.

Ummm.... that still adds up to 3:00:18.  Smile

Ummm.... that still adds up to 3:00:18.  Smile

well shit then. I give up.

I'm in law school... all I need to learn is how to milk people's hard earned money

The person who can figure out my splits can have that extra time off their next race.

The person who can figure out my splits can have that extra time off their next race.

math lesson for sparky law students:

From the official results: 

Gun time: 2:59:23, chip time 2:59:18, so difference= 5 sec 

Halfway split: 1:31:33 (assume gun time), less 5 sec = 1:31:28 calculated half split "chip" time 

Real 2nd half split = 2:59:18-1:31:28 = 1:27:55

So: 

first half: 1:31:28, and 

second half: 1:27:55 

negative split of 3:33

Given that your maths gave you a 3:00:18, and your real result was 2:59:18 that means I saved you a minute! I'd like to claim that time - not for my next marathon - but for may last one. I missed out on my sub 3:00 by a mere 23 seconds so one minute off would have been fantastic.

Running - cheaper than therapy

My race report:

http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/b453d4a558f3460c813e26f96ec30551#focus

It just sort of seemed to snowball into this longass thing...

Hey Jim, can you please add me to the hopefuls list. I'm going for sub 3 in Chicago (10/11).

Thanks!!

Post Asthma Era PRs: 5K--18:39 (Mar 2016), 10K--39:40 (Feb 2018), HM--1:28:04 (Jan 2017), MAR--2:59:12 (November 2017)

Hey Jim, can you please add me to the hopefuls list. I'm going for sub 3 in Chicago (10/11).

Thanks!!

hey - me too!  plus we have the exact same 10k PR or 38:38! 5k is 18:06 (on a significantly short course!), my half is 1:25:28 and full is 3:03.  i think there will be quite a few aiming for sub 3 at chicago if the weather is good.

- the grisly details http://alansmiles.blogspot.com

Right on Hereford...

Wow, you guys...couldn't help but notice how similar our PRs are, NeedACleverName and Alan.

Let's use the new table feature, just for kicks...

5k  10k  HM
                             NeedACleverName  18:13  38:38  1:24:28
                             alan fletcher  18:06  38:38  1:25:28
                             Dakota RR  18:13  38:39  1:24:04

The marathon is a different story. Mine is 3:30:28, but it's three years old and the only one I've run.

MTA: I'm also running Chicago with a Sub-3 goal, so we should make arrangements to meet up at the start!

Ok, I hope I've entered  everyone on Hopefuls list who wants to be there. If you've asked me once and still don't see your name up there, tell me again and slap on an angry face!

I've decided to delete marathons from the hopefuls list that were run by graduates. However, graduates are allowed to get more than one degree. Marathons that have yet to be run by those ringers will remain on list.
                              Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Wow, you guys...couldn't help but notice how similar our PRs are, NeedACleverName and Alan.

Let's use the new table feature, just for kicks...

5k  10k  HM
                                 NeedACleverName  18:13  38:38  1:24:28
                                 alan fletcher  18:06  38:38  1:25:28
                                 Dakota RR  18:13  38:39  1:24:04

The marathon is a different story. Mine is 3:30:28, but it's three years old and the only one I've run.

MTA: I'm also running Chicago with a Sub-3 goal, so we should make arrangements to meet up at the start!

Wow, how about that?? FWIW, my marathon PR is 3:24:29, but it's a year old, whereas my shorter distance PRs have all been set in the past several weeks. I'm so ready to say goodbye to that PR!!

Post Asthma Era PRs: 5K--18:39 (Mar 2016), 10K--39:40 (Feb 2018), HM--1:28:04 (Jan 2017), MAR--2:59:12 (November 2017)