Goal of Sub-3 Hour Marathon (Read 15845 times)

DoppleBock

I think I'm the misfit, but my 5k is soft. Hopefully that will change in a month...

19:13 (1st 5k of 10k, but my 24:17 4-mile ~18:36), 38:49 10k, 1:26:40HM

I'm also official registered for Chicago also (switched from BayState, I got a late charity entry).

The 5k is the least meaningful predictor of the ones you have listed - Get that 10k to low 38s or high 37s and 1/2 marathon to low 1:25s, high 1:24s and you should be right there!

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Thanks, but I think the most meaningful PR I have is the marathon one  One of these days I'll get my other times to kind of align with my marathon time. Though according to Daniels' they kind of do, according to McMillian not really....

The 5k is the least meaningful predictor of the ones you have listed - Get that 10k to low 38s or high 37s and 1/2 marathon to low 1:25s, high 1:24s and you should be right there!

bhearn

Thanks, but I think the most meaningful PR I have is the marathon one  One of these days I'll get my other times to kind of align with my marathon time. Though according to Daniels' they kind of do, according to McMillian not really....

Same here, which is odd, because McMillan has always been a good predictor for me.

Funny, my 5K, 10K, and half times are all *exactly* 5 seconds ahead of yours. But you edged me in the marathon.

Its funny, since I feel like running a 2:55-2:56 marathon is easier than running something like a 1:23 half or a high 37's 10k. I just think I'm a wuss when the lactic acid starts to build or my HR gets into the mid-to-high 170s... I've got a bunch of 5ks coming up, so hopefully I'll get my pace down and not be a wuss.

Same here, which is odd, because McMillan has always been a good predictor for me.

Funny, my 5K, 10K, and half times are all *exactly* 5 seconds ahead of yours. But you edged me in the marathon.

bhearn

... and your 5M time is exactly 5 seconds ahead of mine. I think we're twins.

DoppleBock

Its funny, since I feel like running a 2:55-2:56 marathon is easier than running something like a 1:23 half or a high 37's 10k. I just think I'm a wuss when the lactic acid starts to build or my HR gets into the mid-to-high 170s... I've got a bunch of 5ks coming up, so hopefully I'll get my pace down and not be a wuss.

I am the same way ... I was never intimidated by going for a 2:50 (6:30 pace), but I do not even think of hitting predicted times for shorter races.  Some of it is I do good at peaking for a particular race and have never tried to peak for anything shorted than marathon.  Taper is the other. 

Well, I'm the exact opposite...I have just ran a 16:50 5K, a 35:00 10K, but only ran a 3:12:42 marathon.  Of course since the marathon in Dec I healed all my injuries (I think) and got a real good solid base of between 70-85 miles a week the last few months.  Today starts day one of training for a Oct Marathon.  I hope the solid base I built and my current race times lead to a solid sub 3:00:00 marathon.
                2010 Goals 3000 Miles 1/2 Marathon-Sub 1:20:00 Marathon-Sub 3:00
                flovesparko

Dopplebock,  absolutely unbelievable!  I'm amazed!  Well done and Congratulations!

You should be looking to breaking 2:45 with that speed.

Well, I'm the exact opposite...I have just ran a 16:50 5K, a 35:00 10K, but only ran a 3:12:42 marathon.  Of course since the marathon in Dec I healed all my injuries (I think) and got a real good solid base of between 70-85 miles a week the last few months.  Today starts day one of training for a Oct Marathon.  I hope the solid base I built and my current race times lead to a solid sub 3:00:00 marathon.

dtto: you should be easily under 3

I'd kill for a 16:50 and 35:00!!!

ksrunr All American 10K Feb. '10 Cowtown Half marathon Feb. '10 Boston '10

DoppleBock

dtto: you should be easily under 3

I'd kill for a 16:50 and 35:00!!!

I don't believe you - I don't think you have it in you to kill someone

That is my focus the rest of 2009 - Get my 5k - 10 mile race speed in the < 17:00 5k, < 35:00 10k & < 58:00 10 mile.  10 milers are hard to find around here, so I may not get to prove it.

Ya, the 16:50 was ran Friday, after coming off some good 80+ mileage weeks and wasn't training for 5K. The only marathon I have ran was the one in Dec with a injury and really had no idea how to train for it, so I hope to stay healthy this year.  Hopefully everything will come toghether.  I have a good base and will be reaching multiple 100 mile weeks this time around.
                          2010 Goals 3000 Miles 1/2 Marathon-Sub 1:20:00 Marathon-Sub 3:00

For reference started running age 32

2:57:35 with a 29:15 5mile  age 36

2:52:35 with a 1:20:20 half and 35:33 10km. age 37

2:55:50 with a  36:48 10km.  age 40

over 3:00:12 with a 1:24 half and 29:40 5mile age 44

younger at 60 miles a week I could count on running the 26.2

at 30 sec a mile slower than the half  and 55 sec slower than the 5mi/10km

now at age 51 with 50 a week  3:18:02

off a 1:28:08 and 31:25 5mi.  

can't do the 60 anymore without breaking down

ran my best 26.2's when i had a mix of long runs,[18mi.] much slower than race pace,8 min. miles,

combined with 5mile and 10km's run much faster than 26.2 pace for marathon"speed work"  that way you were strong for the distance but very comfortable for the 1st 13 of the marathon   Good Luck  training. 

Marquess of Utopia

If you ran a marathon now you should go sub 3.

Last november I should have run a sub 3 hour off a 1hour 10 mile race; but I got shin splints then my milege dropped after that. The big hills in the marathon did help.

At Grandma's next week I'm looking to run about a min per mile slower than my 5K pace. (With 70-85 mile weeks) 

You should think about going sub 2:50.

<style> </style>

“Funny, my 5K, 10K, and half times are all *exactly* 5 seconds ahead of yours. But you edged me in the marathon.”

“Well, I'm the exact opposite...I have just ran a 16:50 5K, a 35:00 10K, but only ran a 3:12:42 marathon”

“I am the same way ... I was never intimidated by going for a 2:50 (6:30 pace), but I do not even think of hitting predicted times for shorter races…”

Comparisons such as these often don’t mean a lot unless you are looking at the full picture. The shape you were in at time shorter racers were run vs when marathon was run has to be considered. Training mileage is part of this equation and means a lot. The type of courses that prep races were run have to be compared with marathon course and the number of attempts made at various distances can be a major factor. Then there is weather and dozens of othe variables.

If Dopple Beck runs a 10k once every blue moon and focuses training completely on marathons and ultras, off course he is likely to have more success at the marathon.

Hubbardsw ran his 3:12 marathon in Honolulu on a notoriously slow course off about half the training the he's had recently when he ran the 16:50 5k and 35:00 10k.  It only stands to reason that the times won’t line up, but at this point there isn’t enough data to assume he is has any more ability at one distance than another. I believe that something in 2:40’s is a very reasonable goal. With another few months of training, who knows? Sub 2:40 wouldn’t be a complete pipe dream considering the mileage he's putting in.

Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33