Is the Chicago Marathon fun? (Read 841 times)

northernman

Fight The Future

Not sure if this is the wrong forum for this, but I was wondering if anyone here has run the Chicago marathon, and if so, is it a fun run? Looks crowded in the pictures, but maybe that is part of the excitement?
      I had a great time in 2006, and a BQ. Cool But if you wnat to go for a PR/BQ, then try to get in one of the seeded corrals. I got in the third corral that year with a 1:40 half-marathon qualifying time. Last year the wether was terribly hot, but that's rare for October in Chicago. Go for it, and have fun! Smile

The Greatest of All Time

Not sure if this is the wrong forum for this, but I was wondering if anyone here has run the Chicago marathon, and if so, is it a fun run? Looks crowded in the pictures, but maybe that is part of the excitement?
        My experiences with it have been very good. I am running it again this year. They had a bad year in 2007 so I am hoping for better this year.
        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
          As a native Chicagoan, I'm admittedly biased, but I think its a fantastic race. The spectator support is plentiful, colorful and loud. The course is flat and fast, and winds through many of the city's neatest neighborhoods. The crowd of runners can get congested, but also adds to the excitement.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Mr R

I didn't really enjoy it much. Yes, I ran fast, but the crowd support is really thin during those lonely miles in the second half. Also, I happen to find pancake-flat courses are more painful, because you're repeating the exact same stride over and over. A few little rollers or bumps are actually nice in such a long race, because they let you use slightly different muscles. My chip time was only two seconds behind my gun time, because of the corrals. The one thing I didn't prepare for was how long it would take to actually get to my corral. I was seriously concerned that I was going to miss the start. Be ready for that. I don't really understand the appeal of a 40,000 person race. I'm happy that 40,000 people are running a marathon, but I'd rather not deal with those kind of crowds. The only thing I'm concerned about is having a decent number of runners around my pace. There are so many fantastic mid-size races worth trying. When I hang up the spikes for good and go back to the roads, Cal International and Grandma's will be the first ones on my list.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

All business

I really enjoyed the Chicago Marathon. I ran it in 2006 and 2007. Yeah '07 was really hot, but i knew that was an anomaly. Yeah, it's totally flat, but enjoy it. I'm not a fan of the crowd, which is why i'm not running it this year. And MrR is totally right about getting into your corral, it was a pain, so arrive early. But the race is a great tour of Chicago. You get to see a bunch of different neighborhoods, where all sort of people come out and root for you (from downtown-folk to the cheerleaders in Boystown, to the Pilsen blocks where they handed out tacos, into china-town where there were dragons out there dancing to the drummers). Definitely recommended. That being said, I've done it, and will therefore try something else this year, maybe Milwaukee.

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

Kimmie

I'm still debating... I ran it last year. I can decide later because my charity has saved me a spot. I always said that I didn't want to repeat marathons yet, but last year was so crazy with the weather, that I feel like I have to redeem myself there.
                JakeKnight

But the race is a great tour of Chicago.
                  It's hard for me to give a review of this race, because it was my first marathon - a long time ago - and I knew nothing about the things runners look for, and had nothing to compare it to. Also, it was 4 and a half hours of blurry, foggy pain. But the one good thing I do remember is what jdmcgregor said up there: it was a really cool way to see the city. If the route is still the same, it takes you through just about every place you could want to see in Chicago. Including parts of the city I wouldn't normally visit without a platoon of infantry Marines for backup ... but it felt pretty safe in a crowd of 30,000+. And I remember all the screaming crowds. I'd like to go back and see what I think now. One tip I do remember: unless you're lucky enough (read: planned far ahead of time) to get a room at the host hotel or another one nearby, stay farther out and take the train in. We stayed at a friends place, hopped on the train, and it dropped us off right at the starting line, no stress at all. I know other people were freaked about driving and parking and all that.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                  -----------------------------

Feeling the growl again

No, it's just fast. For a major city marathon I have always been disappointed by the crowd support in many areas of the course. It is not like Boston where it is constant throughout the race. In addition I hate crowds, moving at a snail's pace like so many cattle, etc. The best solution I found (staying far out with relatives and taking the train in) requires a very early start to the day and is not worth the headache.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Frank4

Born and raised near Chicago, I am also somewhat biased, but I think this is a great race as well, and a great way to see the city, particularly those areas you woudn't normally venture into on your own, as JK said. Being a loop course, with many hotels and the train near the starting line, it's a very good race, logistically, for a big city. I ran a few years back and am signed up to run it again this year. The first time I ran Chicago was my first marathon. I made many mistakes and paid for them, but still had an awesome time and am very much looking forward to running it again this year. If you're going to sign up, you'd better act fast. They sent out an email yesterday saying they were near capacity...so I'm guessing registration will close in the next couple of days.
                      JakeKnight

Born and raised near Chicago, I am also somewhat biased, but I think this is a great race as well, and a great way to see the city, particularly those areas you woudn't normally venture into on your own, as JK said. Being a loop course, with many hotels and the train near the starting line, it's a very good race, logistically, for a big city.
                        I can't wait to go back and try it again. /high-jack on You wouldn't happen to know if there's anyway to get old medals would you? Anybody? Chicago was my first ... and I lost the medal long ago. I wouldn't mind having one. Do races keep big surplus boxes of 'em hiding in a warehouse somewhere? Has to be from 1997. Sorry for the high-jack, but I thought a local might know.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                        -----------------------------

It was my 1st marathon and I loved it. I thought the crowds were amazing and I don't remember a lack of people cheering you on-they made the marathon for me. And it was a fantastic way to see Chicago-parts I never would have seen under any other circumstance (but I am slow, so I was really able to take it all in!).
                            I enjoyed it, but it was also my first marathon so I have nothing to compare to. It really is a great way to see the whole city - I live here, but I certainly don't run through most of the neighborhoods on the course on a regular basis. The heat was pretty painful when I ran (2007), but I don't feel like that has anything to do with the actual marathon.
                              FYI, open registration for the 2008 Chicago Marathon closed today, 4/23. You can still get a bib by running for a qualified charity group.

You wouldn't happen to know if there's anyway to get old medals would you? Anybody? Chicago was my first ... and I lost the medal long ago. I wouldn't mind having one. Do races keep big surplus boxes of 'em hiding in a warehouse somewhere?
                                AFAIK, there aren't any secret caches of old medals stored away. I've seen people ask in the past, but never saw any helpful suggestions other than the obvious (ebay). I found a 1986 currently available, but no 1997. Sad