Who doesnt listen to music while running? (Read 3009 times)

to the holy-ah than thou, i am a usah...like 90% of the time. inside, outside, durin races, in the woods and in heavy traffic. i am at least 20-40 seconds slowah per mile without it. it doesn't make me a BAAAAD person.

In order to see the truth, sometimes you have to loose an eye.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Utri/

xor

what?

To the holier-than-thou, I run with music in 90 percent of instances, including indoor and outdoor running. This includes: during races, in the woods, as well as in heavy traffic. I am at least 20-40 seconds slower per mile without the use of music. It doesn't make me a bad person.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

YES! i have a personal-translatah

In order to see the truth, sometimes you have to loose an eye.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Utri/

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I like your Maine accent!  I still have a Texas accent even though I've lived in Maine 25 years.  People look at me funny when I talk.

I've run on the treadmill so much that I should probably record my treadmill for a minute or so and play it on repeat when I run outside. Seriously though, I never run outside without music if I have a choice. On the treadmill I watch Netflix.  I've run without any musc/tv occasionally if my Ipod is dead or something or if I'm on a hotel treadmill with no TV, and it doesn't really bother me. I just prefer to run with it. 

when i first started running i didnt listen to it and i was ok with it, it was nice being able hear my footsteps and really zone into the run. the first time i used an ipod was at my first half marathon. i was having a somewhat hard time with the distance and i was glad i had  it with me. nowadays im plugged in just about every time i go out. i never feel unsafe even with the volume at full blast, i find that my eyes work better for scanning my surroundings.

I guess I'm safe replying to this zombie thread since I didn't do that yet.

I'm ALL about the music.

When I first started running, the kids were little and they would scream at me if I put music on the stereo.  I did not listen to a drop of music for 5 WHOLE YEARS.  So music it was when I could manage to get out to the gym and run on the TM (a necessity, the music that is) and it carried over to my outside runs.  I don't use it when I'm on more isolated trails.  Occasionally I'll forget to take it, and be amazed that I don't need it, and disappointed that my breathing sounds so heavy and terrible.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Man in Tights

I don't. I love the rhythmic beat of my feet as I pound the asphalt. I love the street noises.  The sound of running is music to my ears Cool

xor

I like the sound of running just fine when it isn't That Guy having a loud conversation right behind or in front of me with That Other Guy or That Gal about something I find annoying.  Then music is very cool.

Also helps when running near steam engine guy.

I like the sound of running just fine when it isn't That Guy having a loud conversation right behind or in front of me

WHAT DID YOU SAY?

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

xor

WHAT DID YOU SAY?

The pudding is delicious.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

No music for me.  I love it when I'm cleaning so I guess I can see it as motivation, but I've never needed it for running. 

I also hate the feeling of earbuds, any earbuds, in my ear.  Things should never be in my ear, and I have tiny ears that many don't fit right. I'd have to run along with a stereo Smile

Start a group run. Take turns carrying the stereo. And the spare batteries.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

It depends on my mood, the mood of the race/run, and if my iPod is charged or not.

I generally find myself running with, although I tend to zone out of it after a while. I am super slow, though, so running with music makes it seem like it's not taking to long. Keeps me from getting discouraged.

At home on the treadmill I listen or watch tv, can't not have something or it will drive me crazy (I am OCD, tune into things that will irritate me). Outside it's different because of so much going on. I listen to keep me from getting distracted (I keep the volume low/safe) and again tend to zone out after a bit.

If I don't have music I have to have ear plugs, otherwise I get ear infections. Basically, I always have to have something in my ears (unless indoors), so I might as well have music playing in them, too.

I prefer not to listen to music when running. Instead of getting lost in the music, I like getting lost in my head ....