I just missed a BQ by 1 second (Read 1026 times)

I will write a more complete race report later (maybe), but I just ran the ING Georgia Marathon. It was my 2nd marathon. It was mostly uphill the last 6 miles - a very tough test. I ran an excellent race - I did the best I could. I had a strong kick at the end. The last several hundred yards was a winding, tightly packed finish. I had to weave in and out of runners, and even bumped one runner to the side accidentally. I did this because I knew it was going to be close. My watch said I finished in 3:30:58. The chip time, though, said 3:31:00. To qualify for Boston next year (2009; I will be 45), I needed a time of 3:30:59. This is, to say the least, very disappointing. I am certain, if the finish were a normal wide straight finish, I would have shaved several seconds off my time. I don't know what I expect anyone to say, but I could use a good pep talk right now! I should be proud -my first marathon I ran last November in 3:43. So I improved my time by 12 minutes in 4.5 months. But this one hurts... Undecided
      That is awfully disappointing... Looking on the positive side, you did have a great run, took several minutes off your last time, and I am sure will make it on your next try. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

mikeymike

Now you know you can run a BQ. This is a good thing. And it goes without saying that a 12 minute PR in under 5 months is outstanding. The 2009 Boston Marathon is a year and 21 days away. If you do nothing differently and just keep running, you'll likely BQ with ease on your next try. If you wait until the fall you'll probably BQ with half dozen minutes or more to spare.

Runners run

I should be proud
          Yes you should. It's quite easy to understand your disappointment, it's one of those odd situations where coming up a full minute over would probably be easier to accept. That's especially true when your path to the finish was obstructed. I remember being very impressed with your first marathon report, and your effort and result this time are really amazing. If you just keep running and avoid injury a BQ is yours for the taking. Congrats on a great race!

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Jill_B

I fly.

That's a terrific time regardless! I know it's a long shot, but you could try contacting Boston and talking to them. Especially since your watch gave you the time, the worst thing they'll say is no, so it can't really hurt, can it?

Bring it on.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

3rd time will be the charm, I'm certain of it! 1 second...you can totally do it next time! There are some great, flat marathons in the Midwest this Fall if you want to try again. Milwaukee is almost slightly downhill the entire way and Grand Rapids is very flat.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

It will only make it that much sweeter when you do BQ. I BQ'd on my 8th marathon, although the first two the subject of Boston wasn't even in my vocabulary. It was after my 3rd marathon that I set a BQ as a goal. Find yourself an "easy" marathon with a net downhill or flat and you'll be fine.
                  Wow that is so heartbreaking, I'm not really that sensitive but that would almost make me cry, or at the least curse and kick the curb. I'm sure your times will only get better, so you will do it, probably next time. Can't get more motivation than just missing a BQ by a second.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Ojo

I know it's a long shot, but you could try contacting Boston and talking to them. Especially since your watch gave you the time, the worst thing they'll say is no, so it can't really hurt, can it?
                    First, congratulations on your marathon! I do know someone who missed by 4 seconds and contacted Boston -- she will be running this year. Good luck to you!

Sara

MM #2929

(((Joe))) what a heart breaker!!! But aside from that, GREAT RACE and amazing PR!! Shocked Mikeymike is right:
                      Now you know you can run a BQ. This is a good thing. And it goes without saying that a 12 minute PR in under 5 months is outstanding. The 2009 Boston Marathon is a year and 21 days away. If you do nothing differently and just keep running, you'll likely BQ with ease on your next try. If you wait until the fall you'll probably BQ with half dozen minutes or more to spare.
                      you have time! and the next time will be a no brainer and probably do another PR by a few cushiony minutes.

Jennifer mm#1231

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Great job. I live in" THE ATL " and it is not the place to get a BQ. If you can do 3:31:00 in Atlanta you can do 3:25:00 in Jacksonville or Disney. Boston is rated a 2 out 10. The Atlanta marathon is 8 out 10. The next time out should be a breeze(26.2) Cool

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Way to go! FWIW - I heard the timing was a litter screw at ING, the BAA will accept your time as qualifying if you ask them to - some people are too proud to ask - but 1 second is nothing over 26.2 miles
                          MM# 1477
                          runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

uncontrollable

Great job, regardless. Though I know that doesn't wipe out the frustrating part of it. I missed my Boston time in Phili 2 yrs ago by much more - 4 minutes - but it still was ' so close ' to me. It's hard. A lot of work went into the training. You can do it though and IT IS worth it. It is magical & unforgettable.

peace

If you do nothing differently and just keep running, you'll likely BQ with ease on your next try.
                                Frowzy, the above quote was what I was thinking when I read your post. Good work