Anybody Else Here Doing Chicago? (Read 1125 times)

Although I'd like to be able to say otherwise, the chip didn't lie...I had to drop out at about mile 15 on Sunday. From the start, I just didn't feel good. Had a tightness in my chest that was there from the start. Thought it was a cramp from nerves/anxiety/breakfast...something. But it never went away. Progressively got worse until I had to stop. Pace was right about where I was hoping to be up to that point. Just wasn't my day, I guess.
    Frank - I so wholeheartedly applaud your efforts. I had those same feelings at mile six, and I just knew it was going to be a LONG day. I seriously wanted to drop, but forced myself to walk the last half and pray to God I wouldn't pass out or die. Tongue You made the right choice for your body...who knows what would have happened to you if you would have pushed it? It was crazy out there.
    "If you run 100 miles a week, you can eat anything you want - Why? Because (a) you'll burn all the calories you consume, (b) you deserve it, and (c) you'll be injured soon and back on a restricted diet anyway." ~ Don Kardong
      But it never went away. Progressively got worse until I had to stop.
      Chest pains freak me the hell out, and I'd do the exact same thing as you if I had a chest pain that wasn't getting better. Sorry it wasn't your day, but good to hear you played it smart.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

DH and I are also among the battered, cramped but unbroken finishers of Chicago 08. My goals were fairly modest (4:45, no walking) but they went out the window by the halfway point. We're from northern CA and were completely humbled by the hot temps and humidity. I know, I know, it wasn't REALLY humid, and it could have been A LOT hotter, but it kicked our respective asses nonetheless. I've never experienced cramping during a marathon before but it just about took me down completely by mile 22. The four miles that followed were probably the most painful that I've ever done, and DH and I finally hobbled across the finish line together at 5:24:59. The second slowest time for either of us (4 previous, not logged here). Despite the less than stellar performance on my part, I have to say that it was a great race. The crowds were just incredible and god bless the people lining the route, spraying water, handing out ice and skittles, and just hollering their hearts out for 33,000 slightly insane strangers staggering by.
        Thanks for your post. My friend ran it in 5:25:48. It was her first marathon, but she is in great shape and trained hard for it. I know she's disappointed, but I haven't talked to her yet. I forwarded your post on to her. She's from Massachusetts, so the heat was probably hard on her, too.
        protoplasm72

Frank4 - Good call on the drop out. Chest pain isn't something to mess around with. Glad you are feeling better. yoderc - I remember you. That explains why you had so much energy at the end Shocked And I am one of those people that registered but never pickup up my packet. Not sure why anyone would if they weren't planning on running. I don't want shirts from races I didn't run.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Frank4

Thanks for the reassurance, everyone. This was the first time I have quit a race, and definitely not something I want to make a habit of. I ran an easy 5 miles this morning and felt fine...nothing like Sunday. Hopefully that was just a fluke thing that happened to spring up at the wrong time, but I'll be paying close attention to anything like that for a while now. Addie - you earned your HTFU status on Sunday if you were feeling like that at six miles, but you still managed to finish. GREAT JOB!
              Thanks for your post. My friend ran it in 5:25:48. It was her first marathon, but she is in great shape and trained hard for it. I know she's disappointed, but I haven't talked to her yet. I forwarded your post on to her. She's from Massachusetts, so the heat was probably hard on her, too.
              I like what Frank4 said earlier about thinking of it as a long training run and setting your sights on the next one. Somewhere cooler.

6/9/24 Cinderella Trail Run 50k, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR