Garmin 305 won't turn on (Read 957 times)

ud32

I think I had this problem before and pushed 3 buttons (Power, Mode and lap/reset) at the same time to reset it. I tried that and it still doesn't work. Any ideas ??

It is fully charged. When I hit the power button, the main "Garmin Forerunner" screen comes up for about 3 seconds and then it just goes blank.

Now what ??

SMART Approach

Could be dead as a door nail. This has happened to me twice in 4 years with my 305. No options other than to call Garmin first and then you will need to send it in and then purchase a refurbished model. Usually around $79 if I remember correctly.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

RobUSVI

I had one do that for a while... I let it completely drain (took a few days), then charged it and it started to work.  However, I've seen them die completely as well.  I really don't care for the 305 design.  There are some vent holes on the back side that suck sweat into the case eventually rotting out the inside.

ud32

I was afraid of that. Will put it back in the charger and see what happens. Kinda lame if it is dead. I think I have had it about 2 or 3 years now. You'd think they'd last much longer.

Since the Forerunner screen shows and then goes blank, it could be a corrupted file.  Sounds like it isn't completely dead.

If nothing else works, try a hard reset.  Warning: Doing this will erase all of your (run, biking, etc.) data!  Turn off your Garmin.  Hold down the Mode button.  While holding the Mode button, press the power button.  It should come up and then ask if you want to erase all of your data.  Select yes.  

Hope it works for you!

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

I had the same thing happen to my 205 in November.  I got the main Garmin screen when I turned it on, then it would go blank.  Put it on the charger and took about 3x longer for it to show Charging Complete.  I tried turning it on again and nothing...not even the Garmin screen.  I decided to just buy another 205 since I got it for a little under $100.  My original 205 was only a little over 2 years old.

I just read Cassie's reply and I tried that with mine and still nothing.  Hope it works for you.

the man put the gun away

have you tried the old, "pressing really had on the faceplate" trick?   I have to do that with mine every now and again.

kcam

I had one do that for a while... I let it completely drain (took a few days), then charged it and it started to work.  However, I've seen them die completely as well.  I really don't care for the 305 design.  There are some vent holes on the back side that suck sweat into the case eventually rotting out the inside.

Cover the holes with small pieces of scotch tape.  The beeps won't be as loud but salty water won't get into the watch either. 

ud32

Fully charged today, I did the triple button reset and it powered on just fine. Gonna cover the holes in scotch tape and use it this afternoon!

Thanks!