Carbs make me pass out sleepy (Read 2566 times)

De-slacking in progress

Every time I eat anything considered a carb it sends me straight into la-la land. A good bowl of pasta or pasta salad and I'm unconscious for hours. Even cereal makes me sleepy. I know sugar laden carbs can do this, but regular plain old pasta? Confused I'm in my mind training for more miles starting.... and I need the fuel long term, but is there something about me that carbs make me sleepy? Been to Dr before I started running- everything checked out perfect other than my weight...

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

Hmm. Only thing I can think of is that maybe you need to eat better quality carbs. Bad carbs (not necessarily sugary) will give you an energy boost followed by a crash that can make you very tired. Choose whole wheat pasta vs. regular pasta. Most cereals - even whole grain cheerios - can be kinda high on the glycemic scale. They may be whole grains but they're proccessed whole grains. Maybe have a protein with your carbs too. You might just need more sleep? Confused You can get more info on the glycemix index here: http://www.glycemicindex.com/ but even that's just a guideline b/c the glycemic affect of carbs can be affected by what else you eat at the same time. One last thing. Based on your weekly mileage, you don't need to obsess about carbs and fueling your runs. Just eat smart & healthy - get your carbs from fruits and vegetables and don't worry about pasta, breads and cereals so much. We're about the same build, I'm 5'8 ~165-170lbs. I mostly do not eat white bread or cereals. I eat whole wheat bread, old fashioned or steel cut oats and treat pasta as a side dish. Lean meats and veggies keep the blood sugar stable and can help with energy balance. I'd like to lose a few lbs right around the middle so I watch the carbs too. Good luck. And BTW, you've done a great job getting from where you were to where you are. Keep it up!

Maybe it's the irish in me, but I'm all about potatoes as fuel. Just as something else to try.