What does RA sound like? (Read 823 times)

Hint: more times than I can count people who have never "seen" me, but have talked to me on the phone have said that they had a completely different image of me based-upon my voice.
    I had to laugh when I read this! I've done the same, and when they meet me IRL, they're surprised at what a shrimp I am. I sound so much "bigger" on the phone. Big grin I don't think I "read" with specific voices...I read hearing my own voice I guess. Does that make me unimaginative and dull? Oh wait. I can hear Kirsten's voice, but she's the only one I've really met. I can see it now. A new request for Eric... a chat feature!
      Speaking of restraint, your mom left her handcuffs on my nightstand again.
      Advantage Globule.

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I had to laugh when I read this! I've done the same, and when they meet me IRL, they're surprised at what a shrimp I am. I sound so much "bigger" on the phone. Big grin
        You do sound taller, now that you mention it--and I know you're a shortie. Wink I've had several people tell me that they expected me to be tall and brunette--which cracks me up. Maybe they are picturing Cindy Crawford...right? I always think that my voice is like some weird cross between Rachel Ray, Pink, and Kathleen Turner (especially when I'm sick). My mom and I have almost the exact same voice. In HS people would call for my mom, I'd answer, and they'd start yakking away. Before my brother's voice changed he sounded the same, too. It was really hilarious when 3 of us in one household all had the same voice. I'm trying to think who you sound like, Joni. I think your voice is really soothing. It's funny when you know someone with a celebrity voice. If you ever listen to Kathy & Judy on WGN Radio you would know what my friend Becky sounds like--she sounds just like Kathy. Even her laugh is the same. I think when people see my picture or know what I look like THEN hear my voice that they are surprised. I think a lot of people expect a more "cutesy," higher-pitched voice, not my goofy, semi-husky rasp.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

My mom and I have almost the exact same voice. In HS people would call for my mom, I'd answer, and they'd start yakking away.
          Same thing here! When I lived at home, I could easily have a conversation with my parent's friends if I didn't want to tell them. But I didn't- I was good!
          I think when people see my picture or know what I look like THEN hear my voice that they are surprised. I think a lot of people expect a more "cutesy," higher-pitched voice, not my goofy, semi-husky rasp.
          I can relate to that too! Small bodies, big mouths voices. Big grin
            You sound a lot like your mom, Jeff. Loud, and screaming all the time.
            Ah, ha ha ha. Tears. Rolling. Down. My. Face.

Looking gooooood ;p

So, we all sound like Monty Python characters this side of the Atlantic, eh...? When reading me think of John Cleese playing the Centurian in Life of Brian when reading me and you'll have it about right Wink
              The best route to run is one which takes you furthest from the staff canteen....
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I can relate to that too! Small bodies, big mouths voices. Big grin
                You know what just occurred to me...I don't think I have ANY friends who have higher-pitched "girly" voices. Huh...I wonder if we subconsciously seek out people who sound like us. Eryn has a deeper voice...as do our mutual friends Beth and Kathy...all alto/tenor type singing voices, too. Hmmm....

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

So, we all sound like Monty Python characters this side of the Atlantic, eh...? When reading me think of John Cleese playing the Centurian in Life of Brian when reading me and you'll have it about right Wink
                  "Well, no, sir. Umm, I think it's a joke, sir... like, uh, 'Sillius Soddus' or... 'Biggus Dickus', sir. "

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I always think that my voice is like some weird cross between Rachel Ray, Pink, and Kathleen Turner (especially when I'm sick).
                    I'm having a heck of a time imagining that combination -- what I end up "hearing" is the three of them in an argument. Tongue I did have you pegged for the Rachel Ray style -- the whole rapid-fire delivery that one would expect for an elite chatterbox.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Scout7

You know what just occurred to me...I don't think I have ANY friends who have higher-pitched "girly" voices. Huh...I wonder if we subconsciously seek out people who sound like us. Eryn has a deeper voice...as do our mutual friends Beth and Kathy...all alto/tenor type singing voices, too. Hmmm....
                      I think it's evidence that you have entirely too much time on your hands to be thinking about these sorts of things.
                        I think it's evidence that you have entirely too much time on your hands to be thinking about these sorts of things.
                        I hear Walter Matthau when I read that.

Amy

Funny! Big grin MTA: I know what Scout sounds like but from now on I'll only hear him as Walter Matthau. Evil grin

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Evil grin

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I did have you pegged for the Rachel Ray style -- the whole rapid-fire delivery that one would expect for an elite chatterbox.
                              You'd get a kick out of listening to Eryn and I talking...it's like Rachel Ray x2. Wink

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I listen to several CNET tech podcasts. At the 41:00 minute mark of this one, I can be heard, having called in and left a voice-mail. Doing a Sean Connery impersonation. I'll leave to to the rest of you to comment on how much of a geek someone would have to be to leave joke voicemails with CNET.