OK Marathoners and Half Marathoners...A Question... (Read 1087 times)

Better I Leave

...do you guys still register/participate in 5K/10K runs? I'm curious as I'm new to this whole "world of running" cuz I can see benefits to it to maintain fitness and/or work on speed etc...yeah?

an amazing likeness

You're going to get about a gazillon replies...but in general, I think you'll find that most folks run a variety of the popular race distances. Focusing on one distance is less common. Many of the longer distance training plans will have runners race shorter distances as well.

Shorter answer = For all the reasons you mention, yes.

(As an example, I'm just a run of the mill aging jogger and this year my race mix was: 1x1mi, 1x5K, 1x4mi, 2x5mi, 4x10K, 1x10mi, 15x13.1mi.)

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

bojangles

I sometimes even sign up for the one mile run for the little kids. Feels amazing coming in first. A win is a win.

Better I Leave

You're going to get about a gazillon replies...but in general, I think you'll find that most folks run a variety of the popular race distances. Focusing on one distance is less common. Many of the longer distance training plans will have runners race shorter distances as well.

Shorter answer = For all the reasons you mention, yes.

(As an example, I'm just a run of the mill aging jogger and this year my race mix was: 1x1mi, 1x5K, 1x4mi, 2x5mi, 4x10K, 1x10mi, 15x13.1mi.)

Wow...You did 15 half marathons this last year? Much respect my friend. I'm shooting for 4 half marathons, 2 tough mudders and a few 5-10Ks next year myself. Thanks for the feedback. Smile

Better I Leave

I sometimes even sign up for the one mile run for the little kids. Feels amazing coming in first. A win is a win.

**giggle** kewlness.

I'm a big fan of mixing it up and doing different distances...so far in 2012 I did 27 races; 13 of those were half marathons and the remainder split between 5K's and 10K's (two more still to come this month--a 5 miler and a 30K).  I also did a couple duathlons & some road cycling events.  

I don't enjoy doing a lot of speed work during my training runs, so I get my speed work in by racing the shorter distances--the fun of it being a race makes it feel better to me vs trying to go fast in my training runs.

Next year I'm training for my first full (end of June) so I may cut back a little bit on the shorter distance races but we'll see!

TakeAHike

Check out the goals in my signature below.  I plan to race everything from 800m to 26.2 miles in 2013.  Racing is fun.  Variety is cool.  Or maybe not.  Run the distances you like and enjoy.

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

Walk-Jogger

I'm happy to race anything that comes along, from 60 meters up to 25k and our annual 8 mile hill climb. Have never done a marathon though. I love a mix of a lot of short fast training sessions and a few nice relatively hard long runs. I don't get in enough of the long runs because I'm a weather-wimp. My 5k and 10k races are a very important ingredient of my half-marathon training.

Retired &  Loving It

xor

5ks yes, 10ks no (but I will likely do one sometime soon because I haven't run one since... yikes... 2002ish).  I don't like 10ks, never have.

I feel like a slacker, 2x 10k, 5x 5k, 2 x halfs.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

#artbydmcbride

I like to run a variety of distances in racing.

Runners run

CeeDotA

Not a fan of the 10K. Regardless, if there were more of them happening, I'd do more of them. But to answer the question, I'm not really a (half) marathoner, so I guess my answer is in reverse. I intend on running lots of 5Ks (and other shorter distances), but I'm still doing two halfs in the first half of 2013.

Current PRs:

5K: 27:06 (11/10/12) | 5M: 44:03 (6/1/13) | 10K: 1:00:48 (7/4/12)

15K: 1:27:53 (3/17/13) | 10M: 1:30:25 (4/13/13) | HM: 1:59:55 (4/28/13)

Next race: Ashland 4th of July 10K

Runshortii

I enjoy HMs and I'm doing my first FM next fall, but I still plan on racing a variety of distances. I enjoy half marathons a lot but I love 5Ks as well. I personally find it harder to race a 5K than to race a HM so they're a fun challenge for me.

In 2012 I have run three marathons, one half, one 10k, one five-miler and one 5k. 

Turbolegs

Most marathon training plans have several tune-up races comprising of atleast a 10K and a half marathon in the ramp up. So you would end up doing some anywayz. In fact, loosely speaking, 5ks are also recommended when you are in a stage to add speed to your training.

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.