Radiohead - In Rainbows (Read 764 times)

Mishka-old log

It's only been 4 years since their last album Roll eyes I've only had one listen, but this one is really great. Right now it's only available by download from their website. There's a double disk with extra stuff that comes out later in the year. Here's the great part about the download...you pay whatever you want. Whatever it's worth to you. I haven't heard it enough to start characterizing it, but if you liked their last few albums, you'll dig this one.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I heard that in the UK the average price the album is going for is ~US$8.50. Pretty good deal. I'm considering downloading it, even though I've never really listened to more than a few of their songs. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Mishka-old log

You might take a listen to some sound bites on Amazon first. If the stuff you've heard is off their first 3 albums, it's quite different than the stuff they're doing these days. Actually, here's a myspace profile (which will probably be removed soon) that has a few of the new songs.
        mbk

Interestingly you can't listen to the album on Amazon because you can't even buy it on Amazon. It's not being released by any record label, only on the internet. I bought it for $10 and it is worth every penny!
          Mishka-old log

Good point on the Amazon thing. It's definitely worth it. Can't wait for lunch...it's waiting for me on my iPod.
              I read about their concept for putting the album out yesterday. I'm sure more bands are going to do the same thing. I predict Nine Inch Nails to be one of the next. Trent Reznor is free from his label now & I don't think he'll ever be on one again. He's been screwed over too many times.
              mbk

Looks like we may have been duped, that this is just a PR gimmick and that they may still release the CD in the old fashioned way. Article here.
                  I read about their concept for putting the album out yesterday. I'm sure more bands are going to do the same thing. I predict Nine Inch Nails to be one of the next. Trent Reznor is free from his label now & I don't think he'll ever be on one again. He's been screwed over too many times.
                  Trent is such a rebel. He uploaded the entire Year Zero album on NIN's website for free streaming to their fans. I read that he got in trouble for that.
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Mishka-old log

Looks like we may have been duped, that this is just a PR gimmick and that they may still release the CD in the old fashioned way.
                    That's terrible if it is true, but I'd be surprised if that was their intent. The article does admit that it would be very "un-Radiohead" of them to pull something like this. I guess only the band knows for sure. I'm satisfied with the music I received. I feel like it deserves more attention than I've been able to give it to really appreciate it. As far as the low recording quality, I listen to enough shoddily-recorded lo-fi indie stuff that makes In Rainbows sound great in comparison. No gripes there from me.
                    mbk

As far as the low recording quality, I listen to enough shoddily-recorded lo-fi indie stuff that makes In Rainbows sound great in comparison. No gripes there from me.
                      I don't care about "low" quality either (I listened to it on my work laptop with headphones on and didn't notice anything wrong with the quality). I just don't want to buy something that was primarily meant as a promotional gimmick to attract attention for the CD release. To be honest, I'm not a huge Radiohead fan and I bought the music from their site because I wanted to support their independence from the record companies and their embrace of digital media. I'm not interested in a media stunt. I'm glad I bought the album, the music's great.

Looking gooooood ;p

Looks like we may have been duped, that this is just a PR gimmick and that they may still release the CD in the old fashioned way. How can you be duped when you can have it for free??? Roll eyes Stop looking a gift horse in the mouth and enjoy the music... Phil
                        The best route to run is one which takes you furthest from the staff canteen....
                        mbk

I didn't get it for free. I paid $10 to support the band (I thought that was a fair price since they had no physical production or shipping costs). There's no gift horse here. If I had known there would be a CD coming out (which isn't clear yet) I would have waited and purchased the CD. Although they offer the download for almost free, I wouldn't have downloaded it without paying what I thought was a fair price.
                          Mishka-old log

I'd be upset too if I was approaching it from your standpoint. The initial marketing aspect was a very noble one to support. I'd like to see something like that take off, where the individuals responsible for creating the music are able to grab a larger share of the profits (or at least eliminate some of the profit that go to individuals that add little, or no value to the product itself). I had heard prior to the internet release that the CD was going to come out later, but would be a special release at a higher price with bonus tracks, lots of artwork, etc. At any rate, buying direct from the band is very attractive to the idealists among us, and has a lot of promise. Hopefully the bands learn as they go and understand that they need to communicate the details of the versions/formats they plan to release so their fans can make an informed decision.

Why is it sideways?

Perspective from the NYTimes. Interesting how the article still is written in terms of economic self-interest. The ethical moment is construed as a personal feeling, the "warm glow," almost indistinguishable from the "warm glow" we get when sitting in front of the television. On this view, mbk wasn't buying an album, he was buying a warm glow. When the ethical moment becomes a product to be purchased, then ethics of marketing (or is it the marketing of ethics?) becomes problematic, to say the least.