DFW Runners - The Grasslands Run - March 22nd - Who's In? (Read 923 times)

They have a 50 miler, full marathon, and a half marathon - all on the trails. I'm running the half marathon with a few friends from work and it is all of our first trail race - looking forward to a fun day. All are welcome to join. Here's the linkage.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Burninated Peasant

I wish. I enjoyed the half there last year - couldn't see anybody ahead of or behind me for most of the run. It was very sandy in places, since the race was before all the rain last spring. The end of the course was poorly marked, so make sure you pay attention to the verbal instructions at the start. MTA: I are good at grammar
      andyndallas

Not ready for anything that far just yet.
        ...and miles to go before I sleep

You'll ruin your knees!

I'll be out there as a volunteer for the start and up until about noon-1 pm... looking forward to seeing any RA peeps! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Maybe http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/texas/recreation/caddo_lbj/caddo-lbj_gen_info.shtml Warning Wild Animal Warning: Our national forests are a refuge for wild animals, including dangerous animals like bears, alligators and venomous snakes. Wild animals can be upset by human presence and can unexpectedly become aggressive. Do not give them a reason or an opportunity to attack. Always keep your distance. Your safety is your responsibility. Have fun Cool

Vim

derek

Our national forests are a refuge for wild animals, including dangerous animals like bears, alligators and venomous snakes. Wild animals can be upset by human presence and can unexpectedly become aggressive. Do not give them a reason or an opportunity to attack. Always keep your distance. Your safety is your responsibility.
              There's nothing like a wild animal chasing you to motivate you to HTFU!

Derek

Len

Damn Yankee

If I were to run that race, I'd be sporting the .38 in my fag bag.

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Carl Bard

Oh man...I'm flying into Dallas on the evening of the 23rd for business. I would have definitely done the half if I was in for the weekend as well. Actually, can you recommend any non-concrete (I know, that's hard to find in Dallas) decently lit areas to run on in the DFW area? I'll be staying in Richardson - Central and Campbell - and need to be in the office there around 8am. My training program has a 4 mile, 9 mile and 5 mile run scheduled for that week. I'd like to stick to it as much as possible. I know that the White Rock Lake trail is asphalt and about 9 miles, but is it OK to run there before the sun rises?

You'll ruin your knees!

Mike, If you're in Richardson and you want dirt, you can try... Good, not too far - Rowlett Creek Preserve... http://www.dorba.org/trails/trail_guide/garland.html found here ==> http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=2525+Castle+Rd,+Garland,+TX.&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=49.310476,81.738281&ie=UTF8&ll=32.943573,-96.653595&spn=0.205717,0.31929&z=12 I have not run here, but some buddies swear by it. I don't think it is highly technical, good rolling single track, but may have heavy bike traffic...could be muddy if it has rained in the past 72 hours. Almost as good, pretty close - Arbor Hills - http://www.dorba.org/trails/trail_guide/arbor_hills.html found here ==>http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=arbor+hills+nature+preserve,+plano,+tx&ie=UTF8&ll=33.00636,-96.767921&spn=0.20557,0.31929&z=12 NOTE: there are more single track trails than the 2.2 miles listed on the site provided, just not for biking! Some concrete, but some descent single track! Not too technical, will be muddy if it has rained in the last 72 hours. Best, but a longer drive from Richardson - Northshore Trail - Lake Grapevine - http://www.nttr.org/html/northshore.htm found here ==>http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Park+Road+three,+Grapevine,+Tarrant,+Texas,+United+States&sll=32.98343,-97.06436&sspn=0.012851,0.019956&ie=UTF8&ll=32.896885,-96.892548&spn=0.41165,0.63858&z=11 Great single track trails that drain quite well, so OK to run there even if it has rained recently. The north end of the trail is the most technical (9 miles long). If you know your schedule and are interesed in some trail running at Arbor Hills (my office is about 3 miles from there), I'd be happy to try to meet to guide you for a run. The White Rock trails are OK to run before daylight, I'd be more concerned in the evening, particularly on weekends. You shouldn't have any physical security issues, more car break-ins than anything else...just be smart. I have run there on many occasions in the early morning (4-11 am) with no problems. Hope to see you in Dallas! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Thanks Lynn for the info! I may be interested in meeting up at Arbor Hills one morning - if you don't mind slowing down a bit (I took a look at your training log and your pace is quite faster than mine). I used to live off of Midway and Frankfort, so this is only a few miles away. I'll try to get in touch with you in a few weeks as my schedule shapes up.
                        Midway and Frankfort
                        I used to leave near that intersection too.

I signed up for the half. Hopefully, I'll show up. Evil grin

Vim

I signed up for the half. Hopefully, I'll show up. Evil grin
                            Awesome. Hope to see you there, Tim. Should be a fun day!

A guy I work with has two registrations for the Grasslands half marathon held on March 22nd. He cannot attend due to family commitments. He is looking for a home for them. They are available for the low price of free. Of course, if you feel the need to reimburse him the face value of $30 each - he would gladly accept the money. I've spoken to the race director and they will transfer the registration to new runners if we let him know by this Friday. If you are interested, let me know in this thread and I will be happy to set things up for you.

Dude! Well, I'm already signed up. You planning on staying out there?

Vim