Vaporflys soon to be banned! (Read 368 times)

Again, I think the "ban" would just be for championship events, and results that are eligible for records. I doubt there's more than a handful of people HERE who are currently elites competing for money and national team membership, so a ban would not affect us. We could still wear Vaporflys to get a PR or win our age group in a firecracker or turkeytrot run and not be disqualified.

Shoe companies would have to stage special events like Breaking 2 or the Hoka 50 mile record attempt to get their fastest shoes on their fastest runners for marketing. But they will still sell a boatload of Vaporflys and Carbon Rockets to the rank and file even if they are banned from major competition.

To be sure, midsole foam COULD be considered a "spring" since it stores and returns energy, albeit not the same way a carbon blade does. The Skechers Hyperburst stuff is amazing. Maybe the rules clarification would have a measurement of the maximum amount of energy return allowed regardless of shoe composition and materials used.

They seem to be interested in stack height for some reason, though. Stack height alone is meaningless regarding cushion or energy return unless it's designed to for either. If stack height alone equalled performance, these guys would have set a lot of records:

Image result for Kiss band

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Technology technology, remember what clap skates did to all the world records and Sharksin suits likewise in the pool.

I'm running London in Alpha Flys so chuck it.

LOL, well I’m going to bet that you’ll comfortably run Sub 2:30....AND do 10 press ups before you cross the finish line. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

I remember having these Moon Shoes as a kid. I was able to jump 2 feet off the ground and run pretty fast in them. Maybe those should be banned as well for being too springy.

Image result for moon shoes kids

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

I had to throw in my sarcastic mention of the Moon Shoes. In all seriousness, this is the most relevant comment. Regardless of shoe design, the amount of energy return is the most important factor in regulating rather than design. Think about how much technology innovation has changed the game of golf. Players are hitting the ball so far due to the equipment that golf courses are having to be redesigned to be longer to keep the game challenging. The old wooden clubs from 50 years ago are a completely different game than today due to the equipment. Running shoes are going to have innovations so banning the innovations is not the right path, just regulating the result of the new design.

Maybe the rules clarification would have a measurement of the maximum amount of energy return allowed regardless of shoe composition and materials used.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

Another editorial article this morning suggested that only the (unavailable) Alphflys and their triple carbon plate and 3" midsoles (so the springs have more energy return) tech would be banned, but the existing Vaporflys would not. It's a slippery slope if anything goes, so regulations and limits are being updated to keep pace with technology.

Alphaflys are indeed like the Moon Shoes! (thanks AndyTN) 

Marky_Mark_17

Another editorial article this morning suggested that only the (unavailable) Alphflys and their triple carbon plate and 3" midsoles (so the springs have more energy return) tech would be banned, but the existing Vaporflys would not. It's a slippery slope if anything goes, so regulations and limits are being updated to keep pace with technology.

Alphaflys are indeed like the Moon Shoes! (thanks AndyTN) 

The Alphaflys could easily be banned under existing IAAF rules anyway which require shoes to be reasonably available to all athletes.  Anyone can go out and buy a pair of Next%'s - sure, sponsorship deals prevent non-Nike elites from wearing them in competition, but that's their own contractual decision.  The Alphaflys on the other hand aren't exactly mass market (yet).

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

undue monkey

Science Of Sport made a pretty compelling case that simply regulating stack height would almost certainly work as a regulation. Also, while a rocker sole does have some effect, it's not actually the plate acting like a blade that gives the energy return, it's the foam. The problem is that the foam, especially when it's in a nearly 2"" stack, is not stable enough. The plate is just adding low weight rigidity to the midsole.

undue monkey

I think you may be projecting a little

If people won running barefoot you'd have second place screaming about how running barefoot is unfair and provides an advantage. 

Running Problem

Problem Child

The Alphaflys could easily be banned under existing IAAF rules anyway which require shoes to be reasonably available to all athletes.  Anyone can go out and buy a pair of Next%'s - sure, sponsorship deals prevent non-Nike elites from wearing them in competition, but that's their own contractual decision.  The Alphaflys on the other hand aren't exactly mass market (yet).

This matches the old NASCAR rule that a car manufacturer could only race a car they sold something like 2,500 units to the public. They started selling 2,500 cars that were just like their race cars, changed the horsepower rating from the engine to the rear wheels for insurance purposes (high horsepower is more expensive) and continued to race. IF this rule was upheld Nike could sell their shoes to the public for $500/pair and people would complain "they're too expensive. no one can afford them. it isn't fair. They're cheating." except everything they claim is a lie because Nike is offering the same race shoe to the public and people just don't want to PAY $500 for shoes. Keep trying to make them illegal and Nike will keep finding a way to beat the rules and it's going to bring some amazing technology to race shoes.

EDIT: The rule should just stay ONE shoe will be worn by all athletes attempting a record. It makes it fair for everyone. No one can complain about anything other than "he/she trained harder than me and/or is more talented/gifted than me."

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

Again, I think the "ban" would just be for championship events, and results that are eligible for records. I doubt there's more than a handful of people HERE who are currently elites competing for money and national team membership, so a ban would not affect us. We could still wear Vaporflys to get a PR or win our age group in a firecracker or turkeytrot run and not be disqualified.

Shoe companies would have to stage special events like Breaking 2 or the Hoka 50 mile record attempt to get their fastest shoes on their fastest runners for marketing. But they will still sell a boatload of Vaporflys and Carbon Rockets to the rank and file even if they are banned from major competition.

To be sure, midsole foam COULD be considered a "spring" since it stores and returns energy, albeit not the same way a carbon blade does. The Skechers Hyperburst stuff is amazing. Maybe the rules clarification would have a measurement of the maximum amount of energy return allowed regardless of shoe composition and materials used.

They seem to be interested in stack height for some reason, though. Stack height alone is meaningless regarding cushion or energy return unless it's designed to for either. If stack height alone equalled performance, these guys would have set a lot of records:

Image result for Kiss band

I'm pretty sure the 50 mile record attempt wasn't a special event and Jim had to finish the entire race (100k I believe) in order for his run to count. Same thing Bruce Fordyce did when he ran the 50 mile record in a 54 mile "special event" known as London to Brighton.

The only reason those guys didn't set more records was because they broke up slightly after they became famous. Unfortuate for the members in the band AFTER they became famous because the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame didn't care who was in the band the longest. The "original 4" KISS members were inducted. Not the band. So who should be inducted? The band as a whole, just the members making it famous at one point in time, or the ones who have been there the longest putting in the work to keep the name going?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Sponsorship pretty much makes a universal shoe impossible.  I did see Rhonex Kipruto just smashed the 10K World Record (Road) wearing *gasp* Adidas shoes.  That can't be right because according to every article I've read this week, today's runners pretty much suck and just have technology doing the work.  I read one that questioned if Kipchoge is really that gifted.  Um...Yes.

EDIT: The rule should just stay ONE shoe will be worn by all athletes attempting a record. It makes it fair for everyone. No one can complain about anything other than "he/she trained harder than me and/or is more talented/gifted than me."

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Sponsorship pretty much makes a universal shoe impossible.  I did see Rhonex Kipruto just smashed the 10K World Record (Road) wearing *gasp* Adidas shoes.  That can't be right because according to every article I've read this week, today's runners pretty much suck and just have technology doing the work.  I read one that questioned if Kipchoge is really that gifted.  Um...Yes.

Agreed, today's elites are as gifted as previous generations.  Technology enhances their times, but doesn't replace natural ability and training.  In today's shoes and on today's tracks, Roger Bannister might have run a 3:53 instead of a 3:59.  Would that have made him any less gifted?  Of course not.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                          10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

Even in the late 1900's Nike had a little cobbler shop in the old Quackenbush building in Eugene that made custom fitted shoes for it's athletes. I bring that up to agree that elites are NOT wearing off the shelf shoes "available to everyone" and haven't for quite a while. At least most of the time. There are probably some who get the regular shoes for training, maybe even some races.

Regarding shoe tech, I go back to my oft told tale of my Dad training in Chuck Taylor basketball shoes and racing in leather spikes in the late 40's/early 50's and achieving a 4:07 mile on dirt tracks. And shortly after, the 4:00 mile was achieved (Bannister), and even today with all the shoe, track and training technology it is extremely difficult to achieve a 4:00 mile, only about 1500 men have done it ever, but the number has seemingly been increasing in correlation with advancements in track surface and shoe technology.

But, there is no technology that I am aware of that will take the average person off the street and allow them to achieve top 10% performances in running events, or even top 50%. Training is 99% of the equation. And another but; when you get to the level of elites, just a very small iota of advantage can be the difference between Olympic gold medal and not even qualifying for the finals (hence the Oregon Project searching for every little thing...)

Running Problem

Problem Child

But, there is no technology that I am aware of that will take the average person off the street and allow them to achieve top 10% performances in running events, or even top 50%. Training is 99% of the equation. And another but; when you get to the level of elites, just a very small iota of advantage can be the difference between Olympic gold medal and not even qualifying for the finals (hence the Oregon Project searching for every little thing...)

If training is 99% of the equation, then you're talking about mental attitude, diet, height, stride length, along with the aspect that no one can sell you. The desire to win and go places the others aren't willing to go and push harder than the others are in a competition when it starts to hurt. All of that is rolled into 1% of the difference between making the gold and not qualifying. I'm sure everyone who ever lost to Usain Bolt wanted to wear his shoes. Also Michael Phelps' competition wanted to wear his suit because that means they didn't have to put in the work over a lifetime.

Ban the vaporfly. As soon as you do it someone will win in a different shoe so spectators can blame something else. Just ban winning, or competitions. It's the only way to make it fair. Otherwise these athletes are going to look for another advantage over their competition. Ban living at an altitude above a specific number of feet above the competition elevation so there isn't an advantage. Sorry, but blaming a shoe for getting your ass handed to you is a bullshit reason to lose. You lost because they're better than you.

As for having sponsors and an official shoes there are events where athlets aren't allowed to show their sponsors. Everyone knows they're a sponsored athlete for Hoka or Altra and in the Brooks sponsored event they're not allowed to display their sponsor. Same thing. You absolutely CAN tell athletes they're allowed to wear a specific shoe. The New York Hot Dog eating competition had contracted athletes and if you weren't one of THEIR athletes you couldn't compete. Just go back to 2010 and talk to Kobayashi.

VDOT 53.37 

If training is 99% of the equation, then you're talking about mental attitude, diet, height, stride length, along with the aspect that no one can sell you.

Yes, all of that packed into a box labeled "training". Race day performance is almost entirely (if not all) the result of preparation, aka training. That training is physical, mental and emotional.

And back to the shoes, the technology employed in the Vaporfly is indeed a "mechanical device" and the shoe is indeed "available to all competitors". The saga of the Vaporfly currently unfolding concerns re-defining and clarifying restrictions on shoe technology and specifications. It's not because the governing bodies are mad that people are "winning", but the improvements in performance across the board by people switching to the Vaporfly are an indication that the technology employed IS measurably superior to other shoe designs. Before even thicker midsoles and springier carbon plate springs are offered (like the Moon Shoes above!), the governing bodies want to get a handle on things.

I have yet to see a pic of the new Nike sprinting spikes that are controversial and may be banned. Beyond light and stiff, what way could they improve them for the 100/200?