weight lifting? (Read 1001 times)

What are your general thoughts on weight lifting while running? I have always been really into lifting weights and doing cardio. I have picked up running again recently and would like to continue working my upper body at least. I am looking to lose around 10 pounds or so, tone up, but at the same time I'd like to improve on my times/distance. Any thoughts? Do you incorporate weights?
      Although I havent done much lately the short answer is YES ... I love to do a variety of machines for a warmup and then work the core muscle groups (with dead weights).....Chest, Back, Abs, and the such........and dont overlook working the legs with resistance because running can cause muscles to get out of balance and weights can keep them even......I'd be careful not to work the legs too much (at least I dont) but work them some.. Weights for runners are great....not many runners actually do them, but resisance training is good.

Champions are made when no one is watching

Resistance training benefits just about any athletic endeavor.

The Greatest of All Time

Absolutely.
          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Asics' Benefactor

What everyone else said
            2008 Goals:
            Run 5k (Naked Juice) 07/13/08 - 28:39
            Run 10K (San Diego AIDS) 09/28/08 - 51:59
            Run a 25 mile week Run a 100 mile month
              Weights helped me recover from a knee injury and keep my knees in check....
              Scout7

Lift if you enjoy it. Don't do it in the hopes that it will improve your running performance. In terms of strength training, running hills is the most sport-specific method.
                  Lifting weights will benefit your running. It actually (if done with light weights and many reps) will assist in losing weight as well as conditioning the upper body to be stronger on the run. Try running without your arms and see how tired you get. One lift that gets me alot of weird looks is running curls. It is merely holding dumbells in the running position with one leg out front and then moving the arms in a running motion. I can generall count on an additional 10 minutes faster pace over a marathon when I am lifting religiously. Hills will benefit the legs but so does calf lifts, leg press, leg curl, squats and do not do not forget the hamstrings. Running loosens the muscle and lifting constricts them so it is a fair trade off and adds good balance to a runners fitness life.

"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"  Davy Crockett

Scout7

There is no conclusive evidence in all the studies done that show that lifting weights will improve endurance running performance. This topic has been debated for years, and will continue to be. Because there is no "right" answer. Again, if you enjoy it, do it.
                      There is no evidence that it does not help it either. I know for me I am faster when I am lifting regularly. Also Phelps is getting better and one change is that he now lifts as well as swimms regularly. I know it is not running but still. I think it wrong to think that lifting will do nothing for your running. Just my opinion.

"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"  Davy Crockett

There is no conclusive evidence in all the studies done that show that lifting weights will improve endurance running performance. This topic has been debated for years, and will continue to be. Because there is no "right" answer.
                        I agree with statement - the right answer is if you like to lift then do it..... I have read as many pro as I have con runner weight lifting articles. I am not convinced that if you lift more weights, then you will be a better or faster runner, but I do know that weights can keep the body balanced. I also know when when I am lifting weights, in the Winter time, its easier to shovel the snow...so it cant be bad. I believe that all runners will benefit from weight training---they may not get faster---but they will benefit....

Champions are made when no one is watching

AroundTheHorn

Lift and lift often. I've been mixing the two for years and have had no problems whatsoever.
                          Roads, where we're going we don't need any....roads.
                          seeEricaRun

Awesome

There is no conclusive evidence in all the studies done that show that lifting weights will improve endurance running performance.
                            I've found for me that the biggest benefit comes in upper body comfort and form, especially for longer runs. Core and shoulders seem to make the biggest difference in this regard. However, lifting is not something I enjoy, and I'm not nearly as consistent with it as I should be.
                            xor

I don't know if it helps my running. I lift because it helps me look good naked.

AroundTheHorn

I'd say the only problem I have is on long runs my shoulders really burn from upper body workouts. You get used to it.
                                Roads, where we're going we don't need any....roads.