speed difference, treadmill vs outside (Read 2906 times)

it's just another day for you and me and paradise

MrH

it's just another day for you and me and paradise

That was totally unnecessary and uncalled for. Angry

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

yeah it was a little cruel, however if it makes you feel better I'm sure it will stick with me too.

Menace to Sobriety

For all the calibrators out there: Have any of you ever used a hand tachometer to measure the actual surface speed of your TMs? On this and other  threads  I've heard people explain all sorts of ways of measuring speed, from using their heart-rate to measuring belt length times revolutions, but no one seems to have actually measured the speeds. I have access to one at work and just for shits and giggles took it to the Y and measured all 10 of the TMs there.(Precor 900 somethings) They were all within about 1-2% of the stated speed at 7.5 mph, although some took a little longer to achieve the target speed They've gotten new ones since then, so I can't say if these are similar, but I can't tell any difference between any of the new ones.

To the OP: I usually go faster for the same percieved effort on the TM vs over the ground, but I live in a fairly hilly area.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Menace to Sobriety

What finally pushed me over the edge and made me purchase my Landice treadmill earlier this year was a guy at the gym who looked like Phil Collins. Aside from the ugliness factor, I couldn't get Genesis songs out of my head.

You sure it wasn't Earnest T Bass? They kind of look the same.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

MrH

You sure it wasn't Earnest T Bass? They kind of look the same.

Had to Google that. I'd never even heard of him (I'm an immigrant). Similalrly I don't get any Gilligan's Island references. Take note.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

DoppleBock

Snort 

What finally pushed me over the edge and made me purchase my Landice treadmill earlier this year was a guy at the gym who looked like Phil Collins. Aside from the ugliness factor, I couldn't get Genesis songs out of my head.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

For all the calibrators out there: Have any of you ever used a hand tachometer to measure the actual surface speed of your TMs? On this and other  threads  I've heard people explain all sorts of ways of measuring speed, from using their heart-rate to measuring belt length times revolutions, but no one seems to have actually measured the speeds. I have access to one at work and just for shits and giggles took it to the Y and measured all 10 of the TMs there.(Precor 900 somethings) They were all within about 1-2% of the stated speed at 7.5 mph, although some took a little longer to achieve the target speed They've gotten new ones since then, so I can't say if these are similar, but I can't tell any difference between any of the new ones.

To the OP: I usually go faster for the same percieved effort on the TM vs over the ground, but I live in a fairly hilly area.

This got me thinking. I don't have a tachometer, but I do have one of those landscape measuring wheels that should work too. 

Marylander

Hmmm, my bike has a calibrated bicycle computer with front wheel sensor...

I just completed the calibration test on my Sole treadmill. I used my landscape measuring wheel and a stop watch.

I set the wheel on the treadmill and measured how many feet the belt traveled in 60 seconds at 2, 4, 6, and 8 MPH. At 2 MPH, the distance was exactly what it should be, or 176 feet. Same with 4 MPH. At 6 and 8 MPH it was a few feet off,but I attribute that to the human error factor between when my wife started & stopped the watch versus me setting the wheel on the TM and again removing it.  The faster the belt's moving the greater the chance of discrepancy.  I'm pretty confident the self calibration on the Sole does what it says it does.