The secret to running fast (Read 2999 times)

WMRunner

On My Horse

Did not read thread, but I did read "Once a Runner"

There is no secret

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies with in us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

northshorerunner

Thank you for sharing that! It's inspiring to know the hard work got results

I'm with Nobby on this. I'm helping out a local HS track team and there is a young guy who is amazingly talented but very lazy and never puts effort into training. Then there is another boy who is the same age (15) and a decent runner but is extremely dedicated, hard-working and positive. I explained the importance of training to both boys.

Natural talent boy will run 65 second 400m repeats one or two times in practice then quit. I've tried to talk pacing with him - we won't listen.

Boy 2 runs ~70-75 in practise and tries hard and paces through workouts - but does not have the speed boy 1 has.

We has a track meet last week and both boys went head to head in the 800, which I thought natural talent boy would win for sure! He went out very hard and quit when he was passed. He ended up running 2:35! My little guy who works really hard actually beat him - 2:20!

He told me he couldn't believe he beat the other guy. I told him if he continues to train the way he does, he will continue to win. Smile

runbabyrun01

darn, I was hoping to find the secret in here.

Oh well, back to running I go

me too!  if anyone knows this secret, i'd like them to share it with me! 

xor

I don't know the secret to running fast, and I suspect that what folks really mean in this thread is not actually "speed" anyway.

But thanks to repeated unrequested viewings of Baby Mama, I *do* know the secret to a successful life.

Achtung, Baby!

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Purdey

Self anointed title

The secret is in my signature line.

The secret is in my signature line.

And also on page 1 of this thread!  

Purdey

Self anointed title

Ah yes.... well said Jeff.

MTA: Phelps!  I've just read the entire thread.  It really should have been locked after Jeff posted that on the first page.  It was really all that needed to be said.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Every day you eat, you should run.

(I don't claim it's the best training philosophy, but you could do worse.)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Every day you eat, you should run.

(I don't claim it's the best training philosophy, but you could do worse.)

Can't I just eat and get faster?  It would be much easier on my joints.

Dream Maker

are we really arguing that genetics has no effect?  We know there is an impact on vo2 max and on how your body is shaped (hips etc); hormonadifferences, etc.

when i have a friend who hasn't run in years who hopped off the couch and in two months on a peak of 15 mpw ran the 5k time it too me many years and speed work and many more miles each week over all those years to achieve, it's not all about excuses.  Actually, he was the one who wouldn't run if it was raining or the day was busy or whatever.

Though I agree too many people say they swill always be slow without shaving given it a fair shot.  (It's okay if you don't want to run that much, or structure your training at all, just don't use that as proof you're meant to be slow).

But stretching that to say there are not innate differences on the same training and slower people necessarily just make excuses is just silly.