20 Mile Saturday Coming...Any Tips (Read 778 times)

Talked to our Group Run Leader and he has bumped up this run and re-arrenged our schedule b/c there is 10k people want to run in a few weeks. He moved the first 20 miler to Saturday. Any tips...Suggestions...Warnings...? BTW, we are a Galloway Group. I will be on a 4 minute run 1 minute walk routine.
    2008 GOALS GET BELOW 175 (at 175 now) RUN 6:00 MILE (at 6:29) RUN BELOW 25:30 5K RUN BELOW 55:00 10K RUN A MARATHON (DEC. 6TH - MEMPHIS - ST JUDE)

Carry some water with you. Sip frequently.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

#artbydmcbride

Bodyglide parts of you; armpits, nipples, toes. Carry a gu to eat towards the end.

Runners run

ultramarathon/triathlete

Bodyglide parts of you; armpits, nipples, toes. Carry a gu to eat towards the end.
          Definitely carry some Gu (hammer gel or whatever other brand). Also, bandaids on the nips. Sun screen, since it'll probably be a lot of time in the sun. Drink when you get thirsty!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
          Gatorade Endurance Team

Have fun --- It will be great..... Shy

Champions are made when no one is watching

C-R

Compression shorts (I've never bothered with body glide or vaseline) and definitely band-aid the nipples. Go slow - especially early and enjoy the run

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Don't do it. You'll hurt your knees.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

ultramarathon/triathlete

Yeah, really, enjoy the run first and foremost! Also, if you carry one, charge your ipod/watch. Had my ipod die at mile 10 of a 37 mile ultra last year. While it only sucked for about the next 10 miles, that was a long time for it to suck (after that point, I got used to the silence and really liked it).

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                  Gatorade Endurance Team

Why is it sideways?

Break the distance up mentally into segments. Don't forget to look around at the scenery. Talk about weird crap with the folks you are running with. Play.
                      There will be water coolers about every 2 miles and a powerade stop about every 5 miles. Where do I buy Gels? We have nothing like that here, I don't think. On the 15.5 miler I ate gummy bears and shared much to my groups delight Big grin.
                      2008 GOALS GET BELOW 175 (at 175 now) RUN 6:00 MILE (at 6:29) RUN BELOW 25:30 5K RUN BELOW 55:00 10K RUN A MARATHON (DEC. 6TH - MEMPHIS - ST JUDE)

There will be water coolers about every 2 miles and a powerade stop about every 5 miles. Where do I buy Gels? We have nothing like that here, I don't think. On the 15.5 miler I ate gummy bears and shared much to my groups delight Big grin.
                        Gummy bears are just as good, just bulkier. They are actually better for you than shot blocks (exact same ingredients and nutritional information except more sodium and potassium. At least the brand that I use.)

Run to Win
                        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Nice to know about the gummy bears...I felt a little stupid b/c a large % of the group had driven 90 miles to Fleet Feet to buy the gels or had ordered them online...and there I was with gummy bears from Wal-Mart Blush BTW, I use Vaseline...once again just more convienent in this area. Have fun. Thanks I did need to be reminded of that. Also, Knees...joints...shin splints or any other injury has NEVER been a major problem for me. So I think my legs can take it. It just might take til Tuesday to recover for another run.

Why is it sideways?

Old school. I like it.
                              Compression shorts (I've never bothered with body glide or vaseline) and definitely band-aid the nipples. Go slow - especially early and enjoy the run
                              compression top = no bandaids required.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius