Would you count training runners longer than 26.2 miles as "marathons"? (Read 418 times)

And spandex.

and riding an overly priced bike.

Feeling the growl again

Turning the question around: What if you entered a real marathon that has medals and an entry fee and everything but you don't race it, you just run it as a long, supported training run, should we count that as a marathon?

I had a couple marathon fall apart due to injury last year and I didn't finish them.  I logged them as "Screwed the Pooch", not races.  If I ran a race as a long run I'd just log it as a workout, I didn't race it.  If I ran at like 80% or better effort or actually tried to win or beat anyone I'd log as a race.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

JPF

If I ran a race as a long run I'd just log it as a workout, I didn't race it.  If I ran at like 80% or better effort or actually tried to win or beat anyone I'd log as a race.

+1

rlopez

I hate this thread.

Bob knows why.

And yes, I got called out of the darkness to say that.

BTW, there have been repeated kerfuffles (did I spell it right? I don't see a red squiggly. I must have spelled it right) since 2009 involving a very small subset of folks regarding what is and what ain't.

The current one may be the silliest of them all.

an amazing likeness

So it's true!  Utter 'srlopez' 3x and...shazam!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Birdwell

Can we get a ruling from Parvaneh Moayedi and Larry Macon?

spinach

If I ran a race as a long run I'd just log it as a workout, I didn't race it.  If I ran at like 80% or better effort or actually tried to win or beat anyone I'd log as a race.

This is interesting.  I have a consecutive month race streak going (now at 150 months).  One of the months my only race was a half marathon run real easy shortly after a bad hamstring pull.  It was by far the slowest half I ever ran, definitely not 80% effort if I  were healthy, but  I had a bad injury then and wasn't even sure if i could have done the distance. The funny thing is there were over 2000 entries and I finished second in my age group nonetheless.  I counted it as a race to keep the streak going.

People count things. Weird things. They count the number of states they’ve been to (did I drive through Delaware or get lunch there?). Number of mountains climbed (it was so cold and cloudy, I couldn’t even see the top of Mt. Washington much less touch it). Number of trips to Disney (1 is enough). Number of books read (graphic novel?). Cities run in (part of a run I crossed into Plattsburgh). Number of races (Boston Selfie-thon!). Number of miles (my Garmin is cray-cray lately).  Kinds of beers (spit out that Sam’s Cranberry Lambic). They count weird things, and they count them their own way and for their own reasons. Boredom. Games with yourself. Something to talk about. Whatever. It all counts. It all doesn’t count.

As Mikey sez: C.) Whatever

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                  We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                  rlopez

People do count "interesting" things.  Collect things.  Check off lists.  The issue is when people want to communicate their special count to others... and if it is something others count as well, it helps to have a common frame of reference.

The difference between a marathon and a 26.2 mile training run is that one is a race and the other isn't.

Except then you have to define what a race is.

I know, I know. You just chuckled.  A race doesn't need to be defined... the definition is obvious.

Au contraire.  I have wasted a not insignificant chunk of the past 10 years realizing exactly how individual that damn term can be. Time, given all these ridiculous dopey fuckin stupid kerfuffles, I surely wish I had back.

What a waste of a fucking good portion of my life.

The good news is that I didn't spend it on dope.

As to the current thing, there's a whole lot going on there besides counting marathons.  And behind that, there's a whole lot going unsaid and stuff that has been going on for several years that will remain unsaid for fear of lawsuits and whatnot.

All about how to count.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Some of the 5K marathons I run aren't all-out.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Wing

Joggaholic

So if you run 26.2 miles over three days can you say you ran a marathon but it just took you a really long time?

So, is this really an ultra?

Distance:

60 km & 100 km over 3 days (60 = 20 + 20 + 20) (100= 40 + 40+ 20)

Kalsarikännit

So, is this really an ultra?

Distance:

60 km & 100 km over 3 days (60 = 20 + 20 + 20) (100= 40 + 40+ 20)

Nope. It's a stage race. But running in Mongolia would be cool.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Yikes, my sincere apologies for opening this can of worms.   I sort of feared this, so when I posted the poll I almost said something along the lines of, "please don't try and justify or rationalize it one way or the other, just vote, do not respond with text".  Smile   Shame on me for not adding that little disclaimer this morning......

kcam

Yikes, my sincere apologies for opening this can of worms.   I sort of feared this, so when I posted the poll I almost said something along the lines of, "please don't try and justify or rationalize it one way or the other, just vote, do not respond with text".  Smile   Shame on me for not adding that little disclaimer this morning......

Apologies?!  This is awesome.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

If you had, this thread would be even longer

Liz

pace sera, sera