Would you count training runners longer than 26.2 miles as "marathons"? (Read 418 times)

DavePNW

Yikes, my sincere apologies for opening this can of worms.   I sort of feared this, so when I posted the poll I almost said something along the lines of, "please don't try and justify or rationalize it one way or the other, just vote, do not respond with text".  Smile   Shame on me for not adding that little disclaimer this morning......

So, you think if you had told people to only vote and not comment, that would've happened? Are you new here?

Dave

Mmmmm...beer

I ran 100 miles last week, who do I need to talk to about getting my buckle? 

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

xhristopher

AdamB26.2,

I have an important question for your co-worker.

If she ran six or seven miles on Saturday afternoon, then twenty miles the next morning making it a full 26.2 during one calendar day in Tibet would she accept a medal from the Dali Lama?

Thanks!

bhearn

If she ran six or seven miles on Saturday afternoon, then twenty miles the next morning making it a full 26.2 during one calendar day in Tibet would she accept a medal from the Dali Lama?

The Dali Lama

So, you think if you had told people to only vote and not comment, that would've happened? Are you new here?

No, but at least I could say I tried.....

Prince of Fatness

AdamB26.2,

I have an important question for your co-worker.

Thanks!

Oh there'll be no medal.  But when she dies, on her death bed, she'll receive total consciousness. So she'll have that going for her. Which is nice.

Not at it at all. 

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

The Dali Lama

WOW. Just when I thought the thread couldn't get any more informative.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Me: I skipped church last week to run 13.4 miles so I'd have 200 miles for August.

Her: You ran a half marathon?!?

Me: No, I ran 13.4 miles.

Her: What..Why?

There's a difference between running & racing. My best years are behind me. Most days I'm so slow I probably could have walked faster, but I run. I don't run to race. I run to feel the ground under my feet, the sun(or moon) on my face & sweat dripping off my body. I don't need a medal from the Dali Llama or total consciousness, I run for my own enjoyment. Besides being able to eat whatever I like is a nice bonus.

Some people (& llamas) just don't understand.

The eye looked funny from the start, but I just noticed the mustache! It sure helps to look at this picture with my glasses on!

The Dali Lama

rlopez

Speaking of wanting a buckle for running 100 miles in a week, there's a fairly active presence on facebook over the last 4ish months... run 100 miles IN A MONTH, get a buckle for it.  Yes indeed.

At least no one has co-opted cufflinks.

Feeling the growl again

Speaking of wanting a buckle for running 100 miles in a week, there's a fairly active presence on facebook over the last 4ish months... run 100 miles IN A MONTH, get a buckle for it.  Yes indeed.

FFS.  The list of people needing to get off my lawn keeps growing.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

xhristopher

The Dali Lama

I'd shit my pants laughing if that thing was at the end of her training run handing out medals.

jfa

This thread delivers.

As most of us running addicts know, whatever feelings of accomplishments and or race finishes in this business are fleeting. That's part of what keeps us looking to accomplish more than we have before.

So what if someone wants to call training runs races or races training runs. My guess is that whoever hears about all those marathons Dave ran, really doesn't much care one way or the other.

NBFD

Birdwell

Link to said discussion page for those of us who may be bored?

CMJHawk86

I'll get to experience this next month when the runners I am coaching run Marine Corps.  Chances are I'll log about 30 that day.

But no, I don't expect a medal...even though as a coach I was still required to register for the race (luckily the charity I'm working with paid it).