Do you like other runners? (Read 363 times)

kkittenkat

English Villian

Do you think that people drawn into the sport we do, have similar personality traits and therefore we connect with each other more easily socially?

Or not. Smile

GinnyinPA

There is such variety in what draws people to running. Some run for stress relief, some for weight loss, some are competitive, some just like to be outdoors, some hate to be outdoors but feel like they 'should' get exercise and choose running to get it over with more quickly. I know folks who take running very seriously, who train and race as a priority, and others who barely run at all, they just occasionally join a social run.

Generally, I like being around runners and talking to them about running, but I don't feel any more connected to them than I do to any other people. I'm an outsider, no matter where I am.

Cyberic

In a sense yes, because we can talk about a common passion. We necessarily have things in common. But I don't think I connect more with runners than non-runners. I'd think the percentage of morons is probably about the same.

About as much as I like family. I may or may not enjoy their company but have a kinship and thus feel compelled to offer unconditional support and candor. Like being co-members in a secret society.

I don't like running with people, but can lose track of time talking while NOT running, sharing stories of races, training and gear.

another edit to add:

A lot of endurance athletes are loners, introverts, intellectuals, self-reliant (or absorbed), and not "people persons". An extroverted runner is an anomaly.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Marky_Mark_17

Personally I really enjoy the camaraderie from other runners at races in my area.  People are generally friendly and supportive and there's a lot of mutual respect for the most part (lower proportion of morons than I see in day to day life!).

Having said that I always train by myself (definitely an introvert) and couldn't stand training regularly with others.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

miked2363

I like female runners in short running shorts 

On a more serious note, I have friends that are runners and friends that are not.  I enjoy talking about running with my running friends.  Other than that though, I do not feel more "connected" with my running friends than my non-running friends.  We are just connected or socially compatible for reasons other than running.  I try not to bore my non-running friends with my running tales but because they are my friends and know it is important to me, they will often ask.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Do you think that people drawn into the sport we do, have similar personality traits and therefore we connect with each other more easily socially?

Or not. Smile

I started running 10 years ago at 41yo and all my closest friends are non runners.

It doesn’t matter to me if someone runs or not.....if they like rock music then I’ll probably be drawn to them. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Marylander

I run a lot on the C&O tow path (multi-use trail) and usually with my daughter. In that context I definitely feel a camaraderie with other runners (as opposed to casual bicyclists or walkers who can be annoying as they usually don't follow trail courtesy). I'm always taken aback when another runner doesn't wave back or even avert their gaze from straight ahead. I also feel a certain camaraderie with cyclists who look like they're training/working out.

All that said, if I was out running by myself and another runner decided to run along with me I would probably be none too happy. I'm about as introverted as it gets so a wave is as far as I usually want to take things.

not lazy, just tired

About as much as I like family. I may or may not enjoy their company but have a kinship and thus feel compelled to offer unconditional support and candor. Like being co-members in a secret society.

I don't like running with people, but can lose track of time talking while NOT running, sharing stories of races, training and gear.

another edit to add:

A lot of endurance athletes are loners, introverts, intellectuals, self-reliant (or absorbed), and not "people persons". An extroverted runner is an anomaly.

I would add self-motivated to that list.

Not if it makes sense.

HermosaBoy

I don't like the ones in my age group that beat me in races.  Wink

That's not true -- I am jealous of them.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

oldfartrunner

I don't like the ones in my age group that beat me in races.  Wink

That's not true -- I am jealous of them.

Yeah but not too many can beat you.

I think a common interest is always a draw socially, but that don't mean you'll click with the person.

It all boils down to that we're all assholes in our own way, and we just have to find our kind of asshole.

Here's some words of wisdom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCFowMpLmAc

HermosaBoy

Yeah but not too many can beat you.

There are enough of them...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

MoBramExam

"Runners" in general are pretty cool.  "People that Run" are mostly annoying.

"run" "2" "eat"

no.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

RunNow