Cowtown Countdown (Read 1083 times)

Sorry, I meant Cowtown or White Rock...
    2007 Fort Worth Cowtown

Vim

va

2007 Fort Worth Cowtown
      Cool Prepare to have your life changed forever!!! It looks like a fairly challenging course. Shocked All the more staisfying, when you complete it. You may want to train on some hills between now and then. Wink
        I signed up for the ultra full half marathon.
        That's awesome, modal! Time to start training!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Len

Damn Yankee

I finally mailed my entry early this morning (just the half)... I'm excited and nervous about it. Now I just need to find a hotel and I'll be set.

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Carl Bard

Now I just need to find a hotel and I'll be set.
            You plan on staying downtown? The Worthington looks booked, but the new embassy suites looks like it still has some rooms.

Vim

Len

Damn Yankee

I want to stay as close as I can to the race, but I'm not very familiar with FW.

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Carl Bard

Len

Damn Yankee

Is anyone familiar with the FW area. I hate trying to book hotels over the internet when I don't know the area well. I'd like to be really close to Sundance Square, but I'm also frugal when it comes to hotels. The Embassy appears to be over 200 a night, more than I would like to spend if I can help it. Any suggestions?

Sorry, Len. I'm familiar with FW, just not familiar enough to recommend a hotel. Just based on driving around - I would guess that most any hotel in downtown is going to be near or over $200 a night without some special discount. I would just hit priceline or something like that and find something decent that is only 5-10 miles from downtown if it were me.

Burninated Peasant

For what it's worth, you might want to be cautious with the frugal options north of the downtown area. Anywhere north of the Trinity river to IH-820 can be a little scary. The only hotel I've stayed in downtown is the Worthington, and I wasn't the one paying for it, so I can't really say much about it. Plus, according to modal, it's already full. On the plus side, parking in most of the garages downtown is free on the weekends, and there are a couple that are a very short walk from the starting lines. If I recall correctly, I parked in the garage at 3rd and Taylor last year, and it was a pretty good spot. Of course, I only ran the half, so negotiating the stairs after the race wasn't a problem. Is everybody else's training going well? Only 6 weeks left. I just had my first "long" run since White Rock today - holidays and family stuff keep cutting my miles down. Anyway, I think I've decided that my goal is to finish without cramping up, so my intent is to take a pace that feels ridiculously slow, stick with it, and consume a bunch of electrolytes. I'm not comfortable trying any races longer than a marathon until I can get through 26.2 with the full belief that my body would let me keep running. If I want to do the 50k at El Scorcho, I've got to make Cowtown count.
                      If I want to do the 50k at El Scorcho, I've got to make Cowtown count.
                      Shocked Sweet. I'm planning to sign up for the 50K also.

Burninated Peasant

Shocked Sweet. I'm planning to sign up for the 50K also.
                        I'm not sure it will actually happen - I'm 1 out of 4 on avoiding cramping in races over 18 miles. And I'm pretty sure Cowtown's going to be a little hillier than White Rock.
                          I couldn't imagine doing Beelzebub's 50KM (aka as El Scorcho 50KM)! My training is going good. Yesterday, I did a 25KM and had a new PR... aka makeup test for El Scorcho! Met a guy there who told me that the Benbrook Half Marathon was harder for him then the Cowtown full Confused . For now, I'm going to stick with my plan of running a bunch 10k runs or a little longer distance, 2 rest days, and then do a long run on Saturday. I need to get one of these hydration belts or camelbaks... I think. *********************************************** LEN, if you looking for a place to stay for under 50 bucks you might want to look at hotel/motel south of I-20 on I35 (Motel 6... 39.99 for one person) or away from downtown on I30. If you don't mind shelling over $100 Embassy Suites is a place you might want to check out downtown.

Vim

Len

Damn Yankee

The wife made a reservation for us, at a Hyatt I think. It's not as close as I would have liked, but it met our budget requirements and I won't have to bring body armor. I'm approaching this half as a training event; my major goals are a little later in the year. I'm looking forward to it though, my training has been consistent lately and I'm pleased with the mileage I'm starting to log.

Burninated Peasant

Len, I like the ambition of entering the race in your log already. It looks pretty cool to see that out there as a goal with all the empty space leading up to it. I might have to try that next time.
                              Len

Damn Yankee

Yeah when I entered it into the calendar, I didn't realize it would show up like way out there like it did. At first it irritated me, but now I kinda like it; it's motivating.