So...this running in the snow thing...how do I do it? (Read 2615 times)

I don't like running on the sidewalk during the Winter...there is almost guaranteed to be lumpy ice under the snow waiting to take you down and/or bust an ankle.  I would take my chances with the slushy road, facing traffic.  If it's near dark I'd don the reflective gear, maybe a headlamp, and a red blinkie on my back.

+1 to that.

I had a very light ankle sprain last week and today sprained that same ankle again.  Little ice chunks hiding underneath the snow, completely invisible.... bah.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

+1 to that.

I had a very light ankle sprain last week and today sprained that same ankle again.  Little ice chunks hiding underneath the snow, completely invisible.... bah.

+2.

I stupidly tried to do an easy 4 miler in the slush and snow about two weeks ago.   Injured my posterior tibial tendon.  Now it's been two weeks of cross-training, with a projected return to running at the end of the month.

Be very careful.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

DanMoriarity

Agreed, you have to be very careful. I've gone over on my ankle twice this year already and wasn't sure I'd be able to continue. Fortunately, I was ok after a few minutes of gingerly jogging along. Good reason to avoid running in the dark.
        runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I use socks from these people when I run cross country in the Winter or go out on my MTB and they are wonderfull,

I haven't seen the football socks before.

I'm sure you can get these or something similar, have a look at the running section of the site

http://www.sealskinz.com/

Has anyone used them in waist deep water? 50k with 2 water crossings.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

I look my best blurry!

Runnerclay- Are you enjoying the snow? I was hoping for better weather when I come to Atlanta on Thursday! I think I'll feel like I'm still in PA! I'll bring my Yaks just in case.
            xhristopher

You know that cute little storm you are dealing with in the south? Up here, in our neck of the woods, it's going to leave us with at least a foot of snow that probably won't melt for weeks.

Lately I feel as if I'm in training for hurdling because I jump so many snow banks. Is there such an event as the 10 mile hurdles?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You know that cute little storm you are dealing with in the south? Up here, in our neck of the woods, it's going to leave us with at least a foot of snow that probably won't melt for weeks.

Lately I feel as if I'm in training for hurdling because I jump so many snow banks. Is there such an event as the 10 mile hurdles?

2 Winters ago we hit our seasonal average by New Year's Eve...so we got around 90 inches of snow in maybe a 6 week period.  It sucked.  And the tanked economy hit our road commission, too, so there were weeks where we were lucky if the plows went out more than once.  By the end of the season I believe we marked the 2nd or 3rd snowiest Winter on record.

Yeah, that was a fun Winter to be a runner... Black eye

Luckily last year was relatively easy and light on the snow.  This year has been similar, so far.  Seems like the East Coast has been getting what we got 2 years ago for the past 2.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

mikeymike

I find that if we just stop talking about it, it goes away.  Usually by April at the latest.

Runners run

yak trak user here.

In order to see the truth, sometimes you have to loose an eye.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Utri/

MrH

You should run slow.

These guys took almost 26 minutes to cover 5.1 miles, but they're probably not used to it.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

I'll second the screw shoe idea - I used to use stabilicers but screw shoes work better and are much cheaper. Another option is ice spikes, which as basically the same thing just more effective and more expensive. Never used YakTrax - I've been on runs with too many people who had them break and fall off during the run to bother wasting my money on them.

I love running in the snow in Winter - most of my running will get done on the snowmobile trails where I don't have to worry about traffic. If you are running in slick conditions, practice good form running, keep your feet under your center of mass so that you aren't landing on the back of your heel. That will help distribute your weight enough that you'll probably be okay even without screw shoes.

I really need to update this video now that I have a decent camera and a better idea about lighting...

http://news.runtowin.com/2008/03/04/how-to-make-screw-shoes.html

More recent and probably more useful, here's a comparison I did last Winter between sheet metal screws and ice spikes:

http://news.runtowin.com/2010/02/25/ice-spikes-review.html

Run to Win
                          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

xhristopher

2 Winters ago we hit our seasonal average by New Year's Eve...so we got around 90 inches of snow in maybe a 6 week period.  It sucked.  And the tanked economy hit our road commission, too, so there were weeks where we were lucky if the plows went out more than once.  By the end of the season I believe we marked the 2nd or 3rd snowiest Winter on record.

Yeah, that was a fun Winter to be a runner... Black eye

Luckily last year was relatively easy and light on the snow.  This year has been similar, so far.  Seems like the East Coast has been getting what we got 2 years ago for the past 2.

I'm on the east coast and wouldn't say it's been bad...yet. Mostly because we had a pretty good thaw over new years weekend. I don't recall last winter being much of a problem either.

I'm ready for the snow with a new snow blower and lots of ice melt. Usually that's enough to make it an easy winter so the purchase isn't justified.

MrH

My DW picked up some pairs of 'snow trax'  from Costco.

Two pairs for $19.99.

They worked fine on a recent ten mile run.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Slo

I deal with hard snow pack and Ice all the time.

In the past I have tried the "screw shoes" and while they work, they suck on dry pavement. You can feel the screws. If you can stay on snow pack and or ice then they're fine.

I'm doing this race Sunday : http://tripledrace.blogspot.com/

Here's what I'm wearing for shoes: http://www.inov-8.com/Products-Detail.asp?PG=PG1&P=5050973003&L=27

They have an agressive tread. I've taken 5 of the smallest possible "allen set screws" I could find, drilled a small pilot hole in key locations on the knobs of each shoe and screwed in the set screws. On pavement there is enough give that you don't feel them and on Ice and snow pack they give you great traction.

Set Screw: