Frequency and new runners (Read 1142 times)

For newer runners, what would you recommend as a way to divide up weekly mileage early on when it is still very low. Do you think it is better to have more, shorter runs and run more frequently or to build up mileage in fewer weekly runs until those runs are longer and then adding more days per week. I know that more runs a week is a bit of a different dynamic because it reduces the recovery time between runs but I also know how important making running a part of daily life can be if one is in this for the long haul. I know much of this is a personal thing and so much of it will be finding whatever works with my schedule and life but I would love to hear about people's experiences and what worked for them and why.
    The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
    • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
    • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
    • Complete a 10K fun run
    CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

For me, running longer on fewer days has been more successful so far. For me, one day off between runs has been perfect as far as recovery; I've done back to back runs (two days in a row), but I suspect I wasn't ready at the time. I will go to more days per week later likely, but right now I'm enjoying being out for a longer run. My mid-term goal is 10Ks (2009) with a half marathon as my long term goal (2010).

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Scout7

If you run easy enough, you should be able to run more days with no complications. In that way, you can judge if you're pushing things a bit too much.
          Normally I try do do the following (and its working for me) -Run on Tue, Wed, Thru, Sat, Sun -Take off on Mon and Fri -Run approx. the same number of miles on Tue, Wed and Thur as I do on Sat and Sun so normally my two weekend runs are a little longer then my week day runs..... -Run easy every day so that I can save up a little energy for the next day.....(except Wed - cause I go to the track and run with with a coach and running club). -If Im tired or feeling sore or occassionally just don't want to go - then I take an extra day off -If I feel really good --- I might add a mile or two every now and then (just cause I can)..... -Only build my distance by about 5 to 10% per week (and thats usually only once per month) - like to be save. The most important is that I get my rest days and dont try to increase my mileage too quickly....... Everyone has they own methods, but this is what seems to currently be working for me...... Wink

Champions are made when no one is watching

I would agree with both Scout and JohnA. If you can run easily enough, more time on your feet is the way to go, through short easy runs as many consecutive days as possible. More time on your feet everyday will toughen up the muscles in your shins etc quicker than taking too many rest days. I find that I run better when I get out there for at least a few miles for several days in a row, than taking too many rest days. My muscles get more sore when I rest more. This is pretty individual though, you will ultimately have the find the magic formula that works for you, so Just enjoy the discovery! Wink

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Prince of Fatness

I think I'd try to get up to running 5 days a week before I really started to increase mileage. Then maybe just increase the long run little by little, leaving the other runs the same. After that increase everything proportionally. Recovery should only be an issue if you run everything too fast, or add too much mileage at once.

Not at it at all. 

I think I'd try to get up to running 5 days a week before I really started to increase mileage. Then maybe just increase the long run little by little, leaving the other runs the same. After that increase everything proportionally. Recovery should only be an issue if you run everything too fast, or add too much mileage at once.
                Great advice.....I started one mile per day -- 5 days per week.....and built from there.... Shocked

Champions are made when no one is watching

I think it partly depends on what motivates you and rest of life. If you do better with daily schedules then, yes, go with more frequent first then increase mileage. And it sounds like you might be in this situation. If you do better with longer runs, then run at least 3-4 days / wk and get runs to a decent length (whatever that is for you), and work on increased frequency. I'm one of those people, that I've I'm gonna run, I wanna run and get away from the trailhead - I don't want a 30-min teaser.Wink Also, initially, I had some AT and other issues as well as being older, so every other day worked better for me to allow healing time. And the 4-5 days/wk (6-12 hr, depending on long run or not) leaves me days when I can help with trail work in summer.
                  "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                  Teresadfp

One day at a time

Yep, with my achilles tendonitis, longer runs every other day work much better for me. It's when I try to run two days in a row that my ankle starts bugging me more again. Before the injury, I was up to 5 days a week, and I would vary the lengths of runs between 3 and 10 miles for a total of 30 mpw or so. I can't wait to get back to or exceed that distance.
                      Shorter, more frequent runs will definitely be easier on your body. If your runs are shorter, they won't require as much recovery time, so a day between them will be plenty. Due to a new work schedule, I'm having trouble getting any mid week runs in so I end up doing all of my mileage on the weekend. Even though I am an experienced runner, I can definitely feel the difference. I'm more fatigued after my runs and they take longer to recover from. I'll likely end up setting a 4:30 AM alarm clock eventually to get at least one mid-week run in. Tom
                        For a beginner I see no advantage to running more than 3 days a week. Your body will need a lot of time adapt to this activity. Once you have done that consistently for a couple months then you could consider adding more days. Also you must know the easier and slower you take it now the better off you are gonna be latter. Don't think about becoming stronger today or tomorrow but you should be focused on being stronger 6 months or a year for now. I think the best way to go about it is... Run for as long as you can slowly. Then don't run again till you are not sore at all.
                          For a beginner I see no advantage to running more than 3 days a week.
                          Okay, but at the point where one is running 3 days a week comfortably and they want to increase, would you suggest the increase come as longer runs or more runs?
                          The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
                          • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
                          • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
                          • Complete a 10K fun run
                            Okay, but at the point where one is running 3 days a week comfortably and they want to increase, would you suggest the increase come as longer runs or more runs?
                            Wee, Look at the One Hour Runner Plan. It's tailored to just what you are wanting. It starts you out doing just 30 minute runs like 3 times a week, and over the 12 week plan ( I think it may be more or less than that) it will graduate you to running more frequently and your Long run will be 60 minutes, for as many miles as that equals as it is not a mileage based program. Lots of folks including myself have used it with great success.

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Future running partner.

First it really depends on how running can fit into your lifestyle. Some people can only manage 3 days a week due to a busy schedule. If you have the freedom to increase mileage either way then it really depends on what your goals are, ie. what kind of race are you training for? I think at this stage in your running, based on your log, I would stick with 3 days a week until you can do at least a 1 hr run on the weekends and manage a couple of 30 minute runs during the week. That will have you ready to complete either a 10k or run well in a 5k. At that point, If you decide you want to shoot for an even longer race such as a half marathon. I would stick to just 3 days and work on building up the duration of each run. If you want to stick to 5ks and 10ks and just get faster, you can afford to add a 4th run in per week. The most important point when increasing mileage is to do it carefully and gradually. A 10% increase per week is a good rule of thumb to start with.
                              Scout7

For a beginner I see no advantage to running more than 3 days a week. Your body will need a lot of time adapt to this activity. Once you have done that consistently for a couple months then you could consider adding more days. Also you must know the easier and slower you take it now the better off you are gonna be latter. Don't think about becoming stronger today or tomorrow but you should be focused on being stronger 6 months or a year for now. I think the best way to go about it is... Run for as long as you can slowly. Then don't run again till you are not sore at all.
                                Based on what? This goes counter to my experiences.