Get off my lawn! (Read 1047 times)

The next 10 years are going to be very difficult for me.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

So are the runners (and their unfortunate insistence on wearing skimpy outfits) a major contributor to this problem? Can we just get rid of running?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

A Saucy Wench

So are the runners (and their unfortunate insistence on wearing skimpy outfits) a major contributor to this problem?

Yes

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

ultramarathon/triathlete

But that's not Kosher. 

I'll be the judge of that!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
          Gatorade Endurance Team

Marathon Maniac #957

Since when do teen-age girls go trick-or-treating?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

A Saucy Wench

Most of the trick or treaters that come to my house are highschool and college age. 

And what do halloween costumes have to do with trick or treat? 

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

anyone ever tell a 14-year old to go home and stop begging for candy.  I've been tempted.  I know I drew the line some time before high school.  But I swear after 8:00 it's mostly teens. 

I haven't had the gumption to tell 'em off but I do the next best thing and after 8:00 I break out the backup bowl of goodies and I hand out boxes of dental floss, toothpaste, and zit cream.

Slice

anyone ever tell a 14-year old to go home and stop begging for candy.  I've been tempted.  I know I drew the line some time before high school.  But I swear after 8:00 it's mostly teens. 

I haven't had the gumption to tell 'em off but I do the next best thing and after 8:00 I break out the backup bowl of goodies and I hand out boxes of dental floss, toothpaste, and zit cream.

DH turned away a group of older kids without costumes. They had grocery sacks and were asking for candy. He told them to come back in costume and they may have better luck.

I don't half-ass anything

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning

A Saucy Wench

meh...I dont want the candy in my house.  If they come after the little kids have wrapped up I dont care.  As long as they come in costume.  But truthfully at some point it is time to tuck the kiddos in so I set the bowl on the porch and let them have at it.  Astonishingly last year there was still candy in the bowl.

xor

Probably just those hateful orange-or-black wrapped peanut butter thingies.

or milk duds.

Ok, serious question.  I can't eat milk duds because they will rip out my crowns, but that's ok: I wouldn't anyway.  Milk duds SUCK.  Does anyone love milk duds?  And why is "dud" a good name?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Does anyone love milk duds?

Yes.  And they rock in brownies.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

L Train

The costumes are for the keg party.

The costumes are for the keg party.

Like I said, the next ten years are going to be very difficult for me.

And the teens in my neighborhood could do much worse things to my house on Halloween night than knock on my door looking for candy.

Hey, nice marmot!

DH turned away a group of older kids without costumes. They had grocery sacks and were asking for candy. He told them to come back in costume and they may have better luck.

This is why kids and grown-ups will never get along.  This thread spends two pages bemoaning kid's costumes, then when kids show up at your door without a costume, you deny them candy.

Come on, the kids just want candy.  I think one of them even wrote a song about it.  Take it easy on them, it's tough being a kid.  You don't have a job so you never have any damn money.  The good drugs are too expensive and most of the time alcohol is a royal pain in the ass to get.  I guess there's always cigarettes, but aren't they considered pretty lame thesedays?  Kind of like riding of moped, more people will make fun of you than will think you're cool for doing it.

My point is, candy is one of the few things kids have going for them, so costume or not, help a kid out.  It's the right thing to do.

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens

FastTalkingFatty

Probably just those hateful orange-or-black wrapped peanut butter thingies.

or milk duds.

Ok, serious question.  I can't eat milk duds because they will rip out my crowns, but that's ok: I wouldn't anyway.  Milk duds SUCK.  Does anyone love milk duds?  And why is "dud" a good name?

Milk duds or junior caramels, coffee and a midnight  movie at the Piedmont Landmark theater in Oakland and I am a happy woman.

But you are right, in general it's just weird and dangerous and has a stupid name.

<www.runningahead.com/groups/veggies/