Get off my lawn! (Read 1047 times)

But you are right, in general it's just weird and dangerous and has a stupid name.

"Dud" is a reference to its imperfect shape - a concept most people find not wholly unfamiliar. Jogger duds are everywhere.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Marathon Maniac #957

Yes.  And they rock in brownies.

OMG - what a great idea!  I have to try that.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

OMG - what a great idea!  I have to try that.

It's awesome.  They tend to sink to the bottom, then melt into a really chewy layer of caramel.  Friends of ours made brownies and had planned to put some regular caramels into the mix, but forgot to buy them.  They had a box of Milk Duds on-hand and decided to try substituting that.  The rest is history.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Slice

This is why kids and grown-ups will never get along.  This thread spends two pages bemoaning kid's costumes, then when kids show up at your door without a costume, you deny them candy.

Come on, the kids just want candy.  I think one of them even wrote a song about it.  Take it easy on them, it's tough being a kid.  You don't have a job so you never have any damn money.  The good drugs are too expensive and most of the time alcohol is a royal pain in the ass to get.  I guess there's always cigarettes, but aren't they considered pretty lame thesedays?  Kind of like riding of moped, more people will make fun of you than will think you're cool for doing it.

My point is, candy is one of the few things kids have going for them, so costume or not, help a kid out.  It's the right thing to do.

Had they been the least bit friendly, they would have left with lots of candy. They half ass mumbled Trick or Treat with no eye contact. I'm not giving my m&m's and Take 5's away to that kind of effort. I'll eat them myself thankyouverymuch.

I don't half-ass anything

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning

"Dud" is a reference to its imperfect shape - a concept most people find not wholly unfamiliar. Jogger duds are everywhere.

Maybe it was just me, but I found this quite funny.  And I would be in the dud category.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Take 5's

yummiest candy bar ever

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Some jogger duds are wearing jogger duds.  They could even be eating Milk Duds.

Oh roo roooo!

Probably just those hateful orange-or-black wrapped peanut butter thingies.

I LOVE those things...believe they are called "Mary Janes", make what you will of that...

Can I have yours, SrLopez?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

My point is, candy is one of the few things kids have going for them, so costume or not, help a kid out.  It's the right thing to do.

Is this another obesity epidemic thread?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

xor

I LOVE those things...believe they are called "Mary Janes", make what you will of that...

Can I have yours, SrLopez?

Oh hell yes.  I probably still have some in a box at my parents' house from 35 years ago.  And my bet is that they are as fresh now as they were then.

Menace to Sobriety

Milk duds or junior caramels, coffee and a midnight  movie at the Piedmont Landmark theater in Oakland and I am a happy woman.

But you are right, in general it's just weird and dangerous and has a stupid name.

Milk Dud is a strange name for a "food" product, but it doesn't conjur up as many disturbing images as Cheez Whiz.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

#artbydmcbride

I sent away for the t-shirt once.  Milk duds became a very strange name when I had a big brown irregular blob on each breast on the front of my shirt.

Runners run

Menace to Sobriety

Yes

Marathong?

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

an amazing likeness

Marathong?

More like Marawrong.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

hokiemamba

Okay....I'm going to consider this my good deed for the day. 

CUTE, CREATIVE, CHEAP,NOT TRASHY homemade costumes that DO NOT involve sewing....

1) Speed bump.....yellow sweatsuit, black paint. Run a tire through the paint then over the yellow sweatsuit at various angles. Kid 2 wears orange and a sign that says "Warning! SPEED BUMP AHEAD". 

2) Laundry basket....cheap (everythings a dollar store) laundry basket. Cut out bottom of basket. Loop a length of fabric through a couple of the slats and adjust so it fits around kid's neck.  Fill with towels, etc.

3) Skeleton.....black sweatsuit, white paint.  Paint bones on the sweatsuit, let dry.

4) 80's "Debbie Gibson" or "Tiffany" gym rat....leggings, oversize REALLY bright colored sweatshirt with neck off and sleeves cut to about 3/4 length (Goodwill is a good source for this).  Thick knee socks with feet cut off for the leg warmers.  Hair in a high side ponytail OR if short, moussed up to be high and fancy.  Underneath sweatshirt wear a tank top and then let sweatshirt fall slightly off shoulder to one side.

5) ANY Disney princess costume can be replicated if you have a little imagination and a close-by Goodwill store. My dd was Meg from Hercules the other day and it cost us $4 for the dress and an old robe to cut up for the sashes. We made it so her upper part was NOT as low cut and she wore a tank underneath it.  Also, used plastic fake gold medals for the buttons.

6) Cheap black dress from Goodwil. Paint gold spider webs all over it. Get an ugly scraggly wig from Walmart or somewhere and a bunch of plastic spiders.  Attach spiders to wig, dress, kid....Spider queen. 

7) Cheap sweatsuits can be turned into just about any sort of critter (I've made Red Ranger, Pumpkins, Skeletons, Dalmations (multiple times), Tiger, and Barney costumes with cheap sweatsuits and some fabric paint.  You just need to remember it doesn't need to be perfect....it needs to create the illusion.

8) Doug costume....the cartoon character....as "Quail Man".   You need a picture of him and the rest is easy...tighty whities and a belt along with some khaki shorts, a sweater vest....

9) Hippie is easy.....tie die shirt, Walmart bandana (in the accessories dept) that has peace signs on it, an old pair of jeans you can paint peace signs on....and a pair of suede boots or birkenstocks

10) Again, Goodwill....old prom dress or bridesmaid's dress (the uglier, the better) then if you want gruesome, red paint to make fake blood. This is one I don't like. I don't like gruesome and gory, but throw it out there in case you do. 

Okay....I'm quitting now.  I could probably go on for another 10 or 20.