Run/Walk ? (Read 853 times)

I'm having some big issues at home ( the big D') and suddenly find myself unable to run. I go out for a simple run, and stop for no reason. Then start walking. It's like I'm too lethargic to run. I never , ever stop and walk during a run. It's against the rules. Now, I find myself the run/walk queen. How bad is this? Will it ruin my running? Should I just stop until I can go back to running full time? Yesterday I went out for a simple 4 miler, and ended up walking about 40% of it.

- Anya

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

To me, getting out and doing run/walk intervals is better than not running at all. I hope things improve for you soon.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Anya, don't give up. I had the same troubles around my big d last year. When things calm down, your runs will probably be more consistent and you'll feel more positively about them. If you just stop running all together, you may find that it is harder to get back to it later.

TRUST THE PROCESS

Anya - What are your current goals? If you are planning for a specific race, then running less could affect your race performance. However, from your description, it sounds like this issue is more related to your "relationship" with running right now and it might be better to look at it from a different perspective. If you are fighting lethargy, then look at making that decision to go out and still do something as your triumph for now. What you do once you go out there - all running, all walking or a mix - is part of making the positive decision to just do something. Smile Hope that helps!
          ~ Mary ~

"Workouts are like brushing my teeth; I don't think about them, I just do them. The decision has already been made." - Patti Sue Plumer
            I wouldn't worry about walking at all. A 100% walk is better than sitting at home plus you're outside enjoying the delicious autumn weather. Many, many people build walk breaks into their runs so you are still training. Best of luck.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

Anya - What are your current goals?
              Thanks all for the advice. I really don't have any goals right now with regards to running. I have no races coming up , but would like to maintain 20 mpw. Which seems impossible right now!! I've just been freaking out that I'm now training myself to walk. I think I'll just shoot for a real short run and see if I can make it running the entire time. Even if it's like 2 miles.

- Anya

xor

When I was having big issues at home (in my case, the big C'), I found that I'd go out for a run and ker-splat fall somewhere in the middle. A lot. On concrete, not trails. "Go out for a run" works as a stress reliever for many people, but not for everyone. Walking is not going to destroy your running. Getting outside and being active is goodness. Don't completely stop unless Real Life forces that issue. It's just running. It'll come back. By going out and monitoring your progress (walking vs running), you might find your running comes back on its own. That could be a cue that subconsciously you are processing stuff in your head and progress is being made. Stick with what you. Good luck.

Mitch & Pete's Mom

Sorry for your troubles. I find too when things are not right at home I lack the umph to get out and run and to stick with it. Something that has worked for me lately, and please don't think I'm snob runner for saying this, tell yourself, "I'm too good to walk. I've accomplished, <insert>." Good luck </insert>
                  Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.
                    Toss this out if it doesn't apply to you..... Grief is very wearing on the body as well as the mind. Be kind to yourself and give yourself credit for what you are doing rather than making yourself feel poorly for what you aren't' doing. You're outside with your shoes strapped on...good for you. The running will return.

Hey, nice marmot!

I'll have to agree with everyone else in that some exercise is always better than none, even if it's not at the intensity you're used to. Amusing aside, as I was reading your post, the phrase "The Big D" threw me. I've always read phrasing "The Big 'Letter'" to refer to some type of disease you'd be afflicted with (ie The Big C = cancer, The Big A = AIDS, etc) So, I'm sitting here trying to figure out what "The Big D" would refer to. Well, after more thought than I'd like to admit to, the best I could come up with was diarrhea. So I'm reading the rest of your post with the mindset that you've a wicked case diarrhea. You can imagine how impressed I was to read that you ran/walked 4 MILES whilst being afflicted with "The Big D". And here I thought running in the rain was hardcore. My original advice was going to be take a few days off and stay near a bathroom. But now, I'll just point out that "hey, at least you don't have diarrhea".

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens

I never , ever stop and walk during a run. It's against the rules. Now, I find myself the run/walk queen. How bad is this? Will it ruin my running? Should I just stop until I can go back to running full time?
                        Its against the rules - there are no rules -- so walking cant be against them.... Smile Your the run/walk queen Big grin -- Hail to the queen....Good job for keeping out there Will it ruing my running -- NO -- keep on going on Should I just stop until I can go back to running full time: NO.....keep on going on. Least this is what I think........ Roll eyes

Champions are made when no one is watching

I'll have to agree with everyone else in that some exercise is always better than none, even if it's not at the intensity you're used to. Amusing aside, as I was reading your post, the phrase "The Big D" threw me. I've always read phrasing "The Big 'Letter'" to refer to some type of disease you'd be afflicted with (ie The Big C = cancer, The Big A = AIDS, etc) So, I'm sitting here trying to figure out what "The Big D" would refer to. Well, after more thought than I'd like to admit to, the best I could come up with was diarrhea. So I'm reading the rest of your post with the mindset that you've a wicked case diarrhea. You can imagine how impressed I was to read that you ran/walked 4 MILES whilst being afflicted with "The Big D". And here I thought running in the rain was hardcore. My original advice was going to be take a few days off and stay near a bathroom. But now, I'll just point out that "hey, at least you don't have diarrhea".
                          Haha thank you so much that made me laugh sooooooooo much Smile Really needed a giggle x

Jazz hands!

Amusing aside, as I was reading your post, the phrase "The Big D" threw me. I've always read phrasing "The Big 'Letter'" to refer to some type of disease you'd be afflicted with (ie The Big C = cancer, The Big A = AIDS, etc) So, I'm sitting here trying to figure out what "The Big D" would refer to. Well, after more thought than I'd like to admit to, the best I could come up with was diarrhea.
                            I knew what Anya meant, but reading your post my first thought was "dysentery."
                            run run run AHHHHHH run run run
                            sluggo

John

I'm having some big issues at home ( the big D') and suddenly find myself unable to run. I go out for a simple run, and stop for no reason. Then start walking. It's like I'm too lethargic to run. I never , ever stop and walk during a run. It's against the rules. Now, I find myself the run/walk queen. How bad is this? Will it ruin my running? Should I just stop until I can go back to running full time? Yesterday I went out for a simple 4 miler, and ended up walking about 40% of it.
                              I also don't know what the big D is. Divorce - Depression - sounds difficult and I am pleased to not share in your burden. Regardless - have you considered joining a running club? The Annapolis Striders might be a good fit. I have found a lot of great people with my running club and if I ever relocated I would immediately look for another group to join. Walking during a run is not a sin. Not enjoying a run is a problem you can fix. Ignore this post if appropriate...

John
                              www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

Along for the Ride

Anya - when I was faced with the big D I felt the same. All of a sudden I couldn't finish my runs anymore. Lethargic, no energy and sometimes I felt like crying when I ran. I agree with everybody else on here - it will come back. Take comfort in what you can do right now. Re-organize your life and then your focus can return on running again. Thinking of you and hope things get easier soon.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.