2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Clever: If I were running Sunday, I'd be pretty happy with the forecast.  Keep in mind that it will be about 50 degrees in the Tunnel - it always is.  You can put your warm clothes into your Start->Finish bag literally 4 minutes before the race starts.  From the start you have 1/4 mile in the elements, and then about 20 minutes in 50 degree dry-ish wind-free conditions to get warm.  If you start the race wearing extra clothes you will almost certainly be too hot by the time you exit the Tunnel.  If I were running I'd wear a short sleeve shirt, arm warmers, and a ball cap for a little extra warmth and to keep rain out of my eyes.  I'd push the arm warmers down if I got warm but I'd keep them on my wrists in case I cooled too much - just pull them back up.  If the rain stops, I'd take off the hat and carry it.  Given the temps I would also do the throwaway gloves.  I don't think it's going to be ugly out there though, and you'll be working hard.  Good luck - I hope your sickness leaves and you have a great day.  I probably will be at the finish to watch you come in.

runethechamp

Jim - That HM course must have been really hard this year. I remember you beat me by about 15 seconds 2 years ago, and I think I finished close to 20 minutes faster than your time this year .

CK - I totally agree with dad on his take on your missed run.

After not running on Monday due to a combination of things, I've been trying to catch up somewhat to get myself one day of rest this weekend. It's been a combination of runs in the morning, at lunch, and in the evening, and after running last night, this morning, and at lunch today, I feel beat, even if all those runs have been nice and easy and short. I also think I can still feel the reps from Wednesday in my legs, so I think I accomplished the goal of that workout.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

darkwave

Mother of Cats

That annoying guy who blows past you in the last 50 yards? That was me for a while.

You write that like it's a bad thing Smile

(and good to see you back on the thread!  Enjoy this weekend!)

SC - have a good race this weekend - seems like Smax is giving sage advice.  I think if you seach letsrun you'll find quite a few examples of people running very well post-cold.

Dad - our Friday morning tempo was amusing - a lot of people clearly went to bed very late because of the game.  I have to admit I'm not a big hockey fan, and also don't understand why the final was being played in June, and between two cities that were both quite warm.

Hil to all others.  I updated the race list

Ran 11 miles today, including a 5K tempo in 19:56 (6:37/6:19/6:16/0:44).  3 mile warm-up (8:40) and 5 cooldown (9:16, and too long).  Held up the first three laps because I thought some teammates were going to catch up and run with me, and then I realized they were too trashed from the game so I just went ahead and soloed it.  Also injury prevention work and recovery swimming.

I'm 8 days out, so I need to start getting more disciplined on cutting back the mileage.  I've been a bit lax there - mostly because the cycle has been so short it seems very odd to be tapering.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

oregonrw

Hey all -- I've been in a conference the last two days so just catching up.  At least it was here, so I didn't have to travel for it, but sitting in conference rooms for two days drives me a little crazy.  6 miles yesterday, 5 this morning with strides, something longer tomorrow.

Dad: DH is from Northern Va, grew up watching the Caps, and was very happy last night -- with the bonus that the game was over relatively early in our time zone.

SC: good luck Sunday.  I agree with Max on what to wear.  I ran Boston in 2015 when it was cold and rainy and windy, and wore a t-shirt, arm sleeves and gloves, and was fine.

Jim: Have fun this weekend!

DW: Nice tempo -- do you do all 11 miles on the track?

CK:  Good decision on the morning run. As much as I appreciate my kids being the age they are now, I miss the baby/toddler days too.

Speed Surplus

Thanks again for the collective advice, guys. I made a Goodwill run and it was slim pickings, except for this one perfectly fitting jacket.

So, here are my options:

Outfit 1 - Tights, hat, gloves, T-shirt, arm warmers, compression socks. Hat not pictured.

Outfit 2 - The same stuff underneath this jacket. It's zippable, so I can unzip and either toss or tie around my waist. It only cost $12 so no biggie if I have to toss it, but it's also way nicer than I was expecting to find, so I kind of want to keep it!

Leaning toward wearing the jacket, but what do you guys think?

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Clever: I think I'm glad that you posted a picture so I'll recognize you at the finish.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

SC - I'm probably too late with my response, but I would go with the jacket if it were me  You bought it to toss it, so go ahead and use it for its intended purpose.

Have a great race!

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

pepperjack

pie man

Good luck clever!

My week

M - 6 a little quicker than usual

T - SRd

W - global running day at Under armour maybe 3.8 miles

T - global day off after running so far day

F - rest after Caps

S - Ontario Summit Trail Marathon

S - day off after 6 hour running day

Total - 36

Ouch!

11:11 3,000 (recent)

AceHarris

Is there any tracking for SC?

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Congrats to Clever who ran ~3:12:40.  That may or may not be fast enough to get into Patriot's Day, but it's his first BQ and a 10 minute PR.  And he looked strong through the finish and then spent, so I think he left it all out there.  Well done!

^^^ Thanks SMax ^^^

Congrats SC! Well done!

DkW ~ I was one of those people draggin ars.

PJ ~ My wife and her younger son went to game 3; said it was awesome.

Oregon ~ Where?

My week:

M) 4.5 & ElliptiGo 45 min

Tu) 5.5 w/ 6 x hill sprints & ElliptiGo 45 min

W) 9 w/ 7 progression & strength

Th) 7.25 & ElliptiGo 45 min

F) 4.25 w/ 6 x hill sprints & ElliptiGo 45 min

Sa) 6 w/ aborted workout (800m tempo, 400 @ 8K, 2x200m @ 5K ... pulled plug as I was way too fatigued) & ElliptiGo 45 min

Su) 14

Total: 50.5 & "25" on the Go = TIRED!

pepperjack

pie man

D - this was the first championship for one of ‘my’ teams.  I’m sympathetic to the Ravens and was along for the ride 5 years ago, but this one is different.  Caps had never won, O’s last won when I was 5.  My alma mater has won some non revenue titles (mostly women’s volleyball since I graduated).  Seems like I should have skipped the race and just followed them around yesterday, pictures popped up from alll over.  So much beer. Parade should be interesting.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

S - Ontario Summit Trail Marathon

Oh, that looks like a really bad idea!

D - this was the first championship for one of ‘my’ teams.  I’m sympathetic to the Ravens and was along for the ride 5 years ago, but this one is different.  Caps had never won, O’s last won when I was 5.  My alma mater has won some non revenue titles (mostly women’s volleyball since I graduated).  Seems like I should have skipped the race and just followed them around yesterday, pictures popped up from alll over.  So much beer. Parade should be interesting.

I can appreciate how awesome that is. Enjoy.

runethechamp

SC - Nice race!

Max - Thanks for the update!

DW - Nice tempo!

PJ - 6 hours trail marathon? Sounds hard!

Dad - Nice week! Can't remember if you mentioned it before, are the hill sprints short efforts so they accomplish more or less the same as some strides?

I ended up with another weekly distance PR, although not a planned one. I started the week with taking Monday off and worked on the mileage the rest of the week to be able to take Sunday off. Then something got in the way yesterday so I only ran 6 miles then, and when I went out today I felt ok so I ran longer than needed and got past 55 miles for the week. I definitely feel tired now though. If next week gets difficult I will not feel bad about cutting back a little bit.

Weekly Summary
                                Monday, Jun 04, 2018 thru Sunday, Jun 10, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>

Day Miles Pace Duration Description HR Egain Link
                                Tue 7.1 8:37 1:01 Lunch Run 133 (69%) 126 strava
                                Wed 3.7 9:16 0:34 Morning Run 120 (63%) 173 strava
                                Wed 10.0 9:51 1:38 Evening Reps 137 (71%) 401 strava
                                Thu 6.5 9:15 1:00 Evening Run 125 (65%) 204 strava
                                Fri 3.0 9:43 0:29 Morning Run 116 (60%) 166 strava
                                Fri 0.3 9:28 0:03 Very short run 123 (64%) 35 strava
                                Fri 5.0 8:36 0:43 Lunch Run 139 (72%) 99 strava
                                Sat 6.1 8:36 0:52 Evening Run 133 (69%) 178 strava
                                Sun 13.9 8:51 2:02 Afternoon Run 133 (69%) 386 strava
                                  55.6 9:06 8:26     1768  

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it