2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Clever - 2400 was 8:47 , 1200 was 4:11. Slower than I hoped for, but that's all I could do today. My lack of short/fast work since my April half REALLY showed itself. From the way I perceived my pace for the 1200 I thought I'd be closer to 5:45-5:50 pace, so I guess what I ended up with is a plus when viewed at that angle. I think the 30 minutes between efforts hurt me on the 1200 - 20 minutes would probably have been better.

Brew - Relays sound like a ton of fun. I'm also not looking forward to workouts in the heat.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Congrats on what sounds like a great relay, Brew!

Dad - yeah, this is what climate change looks like.  The SE gets wetter and the SW gets drier.  Our rain mostly went to the east of us - I was pulling thistles with the SU at our new place when we got hit with about 10 minutes of rain and hail.  We dashed into the shell of the house and hung out until the sun came out again, then finished our de-thistle-ing, and by the time we drove back home the roads were already dry.  The firefighters reported only .04", nothing very useful.  It's supposed to be hot and dry for the next two weeks, but at least not much wind.

FB - I did the moving relatives with a U-Haul in February, but it was my parents (to assisted living), not kids (which I don't have).  Also included an Ikea stop!

Horseflies are awful, so tenacious.

Keen - I giggled at the (not Camille).  You've been really spotting the wildlife!  I have been seeing more deer in my yard than I have on my runs lately.

SC - well, I didn't do any 20s for my PR (19 though!).

Rune - congrats on the weekly mileage PR!

Speaking of, I managed 30.7 miles last week (plus some biking) which is the most I've run in a week since last July.  It included a nice 8-miler yesterday at almost my old pace (9:22) and I felt really good. Today I was back to barely-under-10 but still, I'm feeling better about my progress.  I sketched out a 12-week plan for my August half.  We'll see how it goes.

Arvind Balaraman

Nice week rune. I have started training for Chicago, Into my second week. Heat and humidity is horrible. Love your HR controlled runs.

Arvind - How is your training going?

Weekly Summary
        Monday, May 28, 2018 thru Sunday, Jun 03, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>

Day Miles Pace Duration Description HR Egain Link
        Mon 1.2 10:45 0:13 Afternoon Run 119 (62%) 7 strava
        Mon 5.3 9:40 0:51 Evening Run 139 (72%) 754 strava
        Tue 5.8 8:56 0:52 Morning Run 141 (73%) 216 strava
        Wed 7.5 9:01 1:07 Lunch Reps 139 (72%) 133 strava
        Wed 2.5 10:03 0:25 Evening Run 120 (63%) 67 strava
        Thu 7.0 8:32 1:00 Lunch Run 136 (71%) 140 strava
        Fri 6.2 8:29 0:53 Afternoon Run with some faster miles 138 (72%) 189 strava
        Sat 5.2 9:25 0:49 Evening Run 124 (65%) 277 strava
        Sun 10.5 8:13 1:26 Afternoon Run 139 (72%) 232 strava
          51.4   7:38     2015  
        runethechamp

Ilana - Thanks. 30 miles is not bad. Maybe not what you used to do, but still good mileage.

Arvind - On a lot of the shorter runs I run with our dog all or some of the way, and she is slow enough to keep my pace and HR way down, usually in the 110s to 120s. The runs still seem to help though so I'm sticking with it.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

Dad - Nice week! How much rest or recovery did you have between the hard 100m efforts? And 24 of them, that's a lot.

100m jog ... did "straights & curves" ... run the straightaway hard, jog the curve, for a mile (8 reps), then 400m easy, repeat twice.

Nice job on mileage PR.

Strict WTF adherent

My week:

Mon - Beer, and a burger called the Notorious P.I.G.

Tues - Beer

Wed - Beer

Thurs - No beer

Fri - Beer

Sat - Beer

Sun - Beer

Total - Zero miles, lots of beer

Anyway, if you want to take a day off from work or something, here's my R2R2R report

R2R2R

Running Problem

Problem Child

fb-guy Relay went well. Actually better than expected.

rlk I'm a little surprised you know of the RTO. If you (and BF) ever want to do it I could connect you with our team of 12. They're usually looking for extras each year just because people have kids, don't want to do it, can't make it, etc. The team has existed about 7 years at this point with various runners coming and going. They have a pretty good system worked out for the 2 vans and the gear to bring. We even do a team dinner/van decoration/fee collection the night before the race and Jell-O shots at the start. Oh and it's a SF Giants theme. I'm guessing you won't be attending the Morgan Hill Mushroom Mardi Gras.

Vegetarian food that's salad and bell peppers and broccoli right? I eat that stuff all the time.

DW Good job on the 5K. Those are some FAST paces. I kind of think you'd be a strong competitor for overall female winner at some of the races out here.

keen Dude, I saw that 2,400 and 1,600 pace....FAST. Oh and your weather is comparable to my hometown. It's a LITTLE warmer where you're at but just as humid. It warms up in a bit. Oh and don't you watch tv?  It's called "The 405" now. Not "the city" but I imagine anything from where you live (farm land, lol) is "the city". I remember friends living in "rlk land" (coworkers)  heading East and joking they didn't know where they were because they were seeing cows and rolling hills and there wasn't many homes. We all laughed.

sc Looks like you'll have some humid, cold weather for the race Sunday. Good luck man. I think you got this one. Had I been better at planning I could have run it with you. DW said I could do it if I wanted. I said I probably shouldn't run a marathon before training for a marathon. I wouldn't even know what pace to run and with no GPS signal I'd REALLY be lost.

horseflies I find staying away from horses keeps me away from horse flies. Just an odd observation I've made through life.

dad That's some SERIOUS mileage for the month. On and "The City" is San Francisco. Oh and there is something SERIOUSLY wrong with me. I read 100m as miles.

work Eh...It's a good thing I took off early Thursday. I've had two projects reviewed, made the corrections, resubmitted them to my boss and my boss says to undo the changes. She sent me an email Thursday about meeting to discuss the changes. I probably would have told her exactly how I felt about the last two changes (my review said I get work to her fast but it usually needs corrections), along with a meeting I had with HER boss about how my "constructive criticism" comes off as criticism more than constructive. I'm too blunt and people's feelings get hurt. I didn't have the heart to tell THAT boss "you're paying about $150 an hour and asked for a 2 page summary. You got 6 pages, plus a cover page, and a table of contents. I'm sorry telling people 'it's too technical and needs to be converted to English' will hurt their feelings because they've worked so hard for 6-12 weeks and this is what they produced." Needless to say it's probably in my best interest to refrain from commenting when work sends out emails looking for input on documents, or my work. So frustrating. At least I get to run on lunch.

My Garmin 235 HRM stopped working. I THOUGHT I purchased it at REI for their 100% return policy but it's starting to look slim. There must be a second login I don't know. Oh and the Garmin Connect calendar of workouts apparently won't sync no matter how many times I try.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Speed Surplus

"sc Looks like you'll have some humid, cold weather for the race Sunday. Good luck man. I think you got this one. Had I been better at planning I could have run it with you. DW said I could do it if I wanted. I said I probably shouldn't run a marathon before training for a marathon. I wouldn't even know what pace to run and with no GPS signal I'd REALLY be lost."

*checks forecast*

Start location:

Finish location:

Also, I picked up a cold from my older son last night. TAPER WEEK GOING REALLY WELL

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

Speed Surplus

Also, in all seriousness, where are you gonna be staying in Seattle, Brew? I can give you some brewery recommendations.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Ilana - Somehow I've actually never seen Camille in person. Since things have been warming up so much and the sun is coming up earlier the wildlife I see has really changed. Deer are more and more scarce, owls are almost always in a nest before I get to where I could see them (I'm a big fan of owls). Rabbits and hawks are more common.
                      I think 30 miles + biking is pretty awesome considering what you're coming back from.

Dad - Very consistent week! I now want a good burger. Off to read the report!

Brew - Ha! I've heard that "not knowing where I'm at" comment from a lot of city slickers who come to flyover country for the first time. "The 405" - A couple years ago my mom got me a soft running jacket that says "Run 405" on the back. During group runs I've heard people running behind me trying to figure out what the reference meant, so clearly not everyone knows that "the city" is supposed to be "the 405".
                      Bummer about the watch. I had wondered why you started using the app recently. Could REI look up the purchase based on your name? And the calendar sync is somewhat manual. You have to hit the 3-dot menu to the top right of the calendar and select "send to device". No need to use Garmin Express like it wants to, it'll automatically sync through your phone. It took me a while to get that because the button doesn't want to show on every browser - Or have you alread tried this?
                      Aren't you originally from Texas (panhandle?), or am I making that up?

Clever - That's a pretty big change in forecast. If not for the rain I'd love the start location. Bummer about the cold, though. Wouldn't you rather get junk out of the way during taper week rather than during the race??? /wishful thinking/

My quads are a bit sore after those all-out efforts yesterday morning. Not bad, but enough to be noticeable. Not a complaint, just an observation since I don't typically get sore after any of my workouts.
                      Silly low HR during my run this morning, which was pretty awesome. Hopefully I'm getting more acclimated to the heat and humidity.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Running Problem

Problem Child

Also, in all seriousness, where are you gonna be staying in Seattle, Brew? I can give you some brewery recommendations.

Close to the airport Thursday night/Friday morning. Heading East towards Cle Elum for the weekend for a high school graduation. DW just showed me there is some construction on I-90 this week so they're advising everyone to leave Seattle. I'm unsure how long I'll have in "Seattle" on Sunday or Friday but it sounds like "not enough for beer" but I think my MIL knows how much I love beer so she might let me go to one or two places so somewhere with good food is best. I hit up max for some running ideas since I figured you already had a long run partner this weekend. I KINDA wish we rented our own car. I'd drive around and meet my "less than imaginary friends" for a jog or a chug.

McBen you week is MY kind of Rim to Rim. From the rim on one side of the (pint) glass to the other. Full circle and back again.

keen Went to college in the pan handle. There is a series of races in the Bay Area of California where they run the area code in kilometers. I'd maybe say "oh its a distance I try to run every 4 months in miles" about the 405 jacket. Maybe you got it for running 405 miles. It could get fun.

three...dot....menu....(checks phone...sees phone icon)...website...menu....website crashes. I love work internet filters. Why can't the app actualyl send workouts to my device like it says it will?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Speed Surplus

Lost my post.

Brew, the airport is far from everything, but perhaps least far from Georgetown, which is an up-and-coming neighborhood with several good beer stops.

Breweries:

https://www.twobeersbrewery.com/

https://georgetownbeer.com/

http://www.lowercasebrewing.com/

http://www.machinehousebrewery.com/ (English style beers only)

http://www.schoonerexact.com/

Bottle shop:

http://fullthrottlebottles.com/

Enjoy! 

Running Problem

Problem Child

SC THANKS! I'll probably get to swing by full throttle. I think we land around 9 so depending how late I want to stay up, and if you're in the area, I might go out for something late at night.

I called REI. They can't find my purchase without it being in my account history. Since I didn't give them my (wife's) membership number they can't find it (neither can I, weird) so I had to call the store. REI policy has changed. Electronics are only able to be returned for 90 days now BUT when I purchased my watch it was 1 year AND they require a receipt or proof of purchase. So even though I can tell them the credit card number I used and the day I purchased it I can't get anything from REI. So much for shopping at REI. I might as well go for the $50 off I heard Garmin gives for stuff like this if I want a new watch. I'm torn between another 235, a 935 or a Fenix 5. When I thought I'd be able to get a new watch for free I was eyeballing the upgrade. At this point I'm thinking I'd take the Forerunner 25 I bought my sister in law a year ago. It does everything I need. Maybe I'll switch to Suunto if I'm going to spend $500 on a watch.

VDOT 53.37 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

CK - smoking 2400 and 1200.  I mean - jeebus.  Running those times in a race situation is one thing; solo on the track is another.

Ilana - name of the half-marathon so I can add it to the chart?  Or is that possibly jinxing things?

Arvind - agree with you on the heat/humidity.  It did clear up nicely for us yesterday and today - hopefully it did for you as well.

Brewing - dumb question: have you contacted Garmin about warranty service for it?  They're usually pretty good.

SC - that's bad timing. I guess better today than Friday?  A teammate showed up sick to this morning's workout.  I was like "really?"  Not good for you, and extremely inconsiderate to others.

I get showing up if you're thinking it's probably allergies.  But if you know you're sick, then stay home.  Or if you must do a workout, do it on your own.

Great report, McBen I appreciated both the pictures and the words.  Odd that the Kinvara trail is minimalist - just strikes me as unexpected.  But better than the tripping shoes.

I feel hot and sore just from reading it (I blame Smax).  Though the Grand Canyon is not out of your system, I imagine it may a little while before you go back?

Hi to all others.

It cooled down nicely here for this morning's workout - good for speed, bad for acclimation.   12 miles total: 3 warm-up (8:46), then 800, 1600, 1600, 800 in 3:02, 6:05, 5:56, 2:46.  4.5 cool-down (8:58).  Also some recovery swimming and injury prevention work.

269.5 miles for the month of May, plus 81 "miles" pool-running.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Brew - last year on Prime Day Amazon had excellent deals on many Garmins, including Fenix 3 (which is what I bought) and 5.  If you can wait another month, that is, and if you have Amazon Prime.

DWave - it's the Thirsty Thirteen on August 25th.  Goal is to beat my time from 2015, 1:44:53, which was my "comeback race" after my back injury.  Hah, I guess it's another comeback race this time.

I did speedwork this morning for the first time since my injury last July (not counting strides and hill sprints).  Paced terribly but felt okay until I looked at my speedwork from last summer and saw how much faster I used to be.