2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

i got an EKG earlier this week. today my PCP calls to tell me that my "heart rate is really low I'm going to refer you to a cardiologist".

ughhh nonrunners

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Katia77

Welcome OregonRW! I ran 8ish this morning too, and I'm sure I'm way behind since I just decided I'm running the race...

I'm sad that I don't have a pic of myself near the shiny thing in Chicago. I've been so many times, but not for a while. Will have to fix that.

I think my ankle rolling was just a minor episode and I should be able to run on it and heal it. I've worn a brace but it's not worse after almost 4 miles at lunch yesterday and 8.6 this morning. So, all good. As for training.. we'll see how that one goes..  but my trial settled so I have more time!

PRs: HM: 1:32:59 (2015); FM: 3:18:36 (2017)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Oregon - you are absolutely welcome!

RLK - *sigh* on the Cardiologist referral.  Enjoy shocking them with your treadmill stress test.

K - yay on the ankle and the trial both settling.

I have been to Chicago many times, but have no pictures of the shiny thing.

Upper body weights/core and 10.5 "miles" pool-running.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Welcome Oregon!  I am new here myself.

Matt:  I am starting to have to get back to my o'dark thirty runs as well.  For past 4 weeks I have been out of my clinical site taking continuing education.   Glorious 8-5 hours!   It has been just luxurious to not have to be anywhere until 8 and off at 5 sharp.  When I head back to the hospital I will need to reorient myself back to the 0330 wakeups.    I really do enjoy morning running--just not that early.   I feel like I need to go to bed at 7pm.  Which is just not realistic...as I am usually still at work LOL!

DarkWave:  You are inspiring me to really up my yoga days!   My goal is to get up to 3 hour workout day in the middle of the week somewhere.  (Run, core, yoga)  I will keep looking up to you for inspiration!

BrewRunner:  ughhhh, I have a love, hate relationship with VRBO and AirBNB,   I have had *knockonwood* mostly good experiences.  The not so good, ehhh.   Have you found a suitable replacement yet?

RLK:  Isn't it sad how good health is such a rarity to the medical community.  You will knock that stress test out of the park!

K:  Glad the ankle is better!  Those things can be such a bear to deal with.

I had a great track workout last night.  Probably one of the best since coming off my forever layoff.  On the other foot,  I forgot I signed up for a HM on Sunday.  Celebration HM.  Weather now saying WIND, RAIN and 80 Degrees.    Maybe I will conveniently forget again...

Note to self:  No DC RNR races...

Running Problem

Problem Child

rlk I was pretty much making fun of "vrbo" renting out rooms for 4 days in SF for commuters. As for the EKG....ironic timing since it was about a week ago we were all in the "I'm so low" category.

rozzie Kind of funny but I had a phone call, then an email, asking if I had any questions about the rentals. I was going to say "yeah why isn't it available and why is the price not as advertised and why wasn't the cleaning fee listed on VRBO and pretty much why is what VRBO says it costs and is available isn't true?"

I've stopped looking for the moment. I know I need to find a place for 6 adults plus a 10 month old I just got burnt out really quick (frustrated and upset) to make a logical decision. I think it's going to be Chicago Friday - Tuesday or Wednesday. If it's anything like flying to Wisconsin I'll board a plane at 6am and land an 4pm. Saturday pick up my stuff and maybe site see, Sunday race and possibly site see, Monday see some stuff, Tuesday or Wednesday fly home. I'm sure I'll get a family photo at the shiny thing. I've also heard I'll see most of what there is to see during the race.

kk putting a hold on kiddo #2 for while to train for the April race?

Dark I see why you, and almost everyone else, said not to train fully body on an easy day. Granted...I haven't worked out in a few years but I have some second day sores I know will only go away if I keep doing workouts. I'm still looking at that 5k outline you sent me and trying to find something for the hill repeats but the speed work seems to be close to what the Hanson plan does (i.e. 1 minute ~400m, 2 min ~600m) and at least one other RB is doing them with me.

ace I'm going to become 14. I'll just tell people "If you don't like it, run faster." I think "nobody cares, work harder" would be a little too aggressive. #dadlife (modification #2) Maybe I'll double down since I'm in Nevada and buy an armband for my phone to play music.

40 miles isn't that far is it? I mean...more is possible. Right? I've done this before. Haven't I? So much work to put in for just a pint glass I'm actually afraid I won't get...nevermind the PR. I know..."nobody cares, work harder" is the motto.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

oregonrw

Hey all -- thanks for the welcome. I really like seeing what other people are doing with their training and picking up ideas as I go, so I look forward to reading more. I ran 6ish this morning, easy.  At some point I need to figure out a plan for training but I think I have a little bit of time. I'm not 100% committed but I am leaning towards a September marathon up in Washington that looks good.  Maybe a June half before that. And probably either an 8k or 15k in March.

rlk: I've had that conversation with a doctor too -- even an official diagnosis: bradycardia. I'm sure if I stopped running my heart rate would go back up to "normal."

darkwave: Your cross-training/strength training is really impressive -- it's tough to fit it all in.

rozzie: 80 degrees for a half? Yikes. Are you in Florida? (Celebration is in Florida, right?)

brewing: good luck with vrbo -- it's definitely hit or miss.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Oregonrw I'll tell you to do Hanson's because I'm a big fan of their training plans after a few PRs. I like the 16 mile long run (or less) on weekends but I can't say I enjoy 10 miles at MP with a warm up and cool down on a Thursday night.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Oregon - when you refer to "Washington" I have to remind myself that there's 2 of them.  (I'm sure you and Smax have the same issue).

Rozzie - great to hear about the good track workout!  That half marathon sounds ghastly.

Brewing - I think every marathon training cycle starts like that:...."how the heck did I ever do this before."

Speaking of that - did 10 miles this am - 3 mile warm-up (9:25), 4 mile tempo in 25:59 (6:43/6:30/6:24/6:22), then 3 mile cooldown (9:56) plus injury prevention work and recovery swimming.  Felt sluggish and off during tempo - wondering "how the heck did I hold this for 13 miles two weeks ago?"  Taper magic + great weather + fast course, I guess.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

fb-guy

Hey Oregon. I'm 58 and one of the original 3:20 members from nearly 10 years ago. It's a great group. Other than the lawyer part, welcome! :-)

RLK -- that's a good one. I got scolded by a doctor once about my HR -- he said that he had heard of a runner whose HR was so low that it "forgot" how to go high, so I had to be careful. Yeah. Right. I did the stress echo test about a year ago, and all was good. The doctor said that my crash must be something else (and he was right).

To all of you with kids at home, enjoy the moment. Our two daughters have grown up and flown away, and we miss them. Give your kids a hug.

Chicago is great. Two tall building with fun tours, Art Institute, Field Museum (natural history), aquarium, river walk, architecture tour, lakeshore jog, Wrigleyvillle, good (free) zoo, good (cheap) Chinese in Chinatown, shopping on Michigan ave., drink on the river, the bean, Navy pier, comedy. But the pizza sucks.

One thing here. I've tried the roads to the west, and they are better than north and south. Not good. But better. And there are other runners, so it feels safer. It's about 400 ft per 5 miles, plus there's an Etruscan tomb and two Medici villas. So a 15 mile run is still over 1200 ft. Still need to try going east.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

RLK - Funny stuff about the low HR comment by the doctor. I agree with Rozzie's comment as well. No passive-aggressive humble brag about what your HR was? Good for you!

Rozzie - Awesome about having a good workout! Less so regarding forgetting the HM. 

Brew - Good on you for getting your miles in lately. NeRP still doing well?

Oregon - Hi!

FB - I'm definitely trying to soak up all I can from my little ones.

A sad, all-indoors week from me this time. I need to do some calibration or calculation regarding the pace on the treadmill, or see about using my Stryd for pace/distance. There's just no way I'm getting those paces with these HR numbers.

Monday, Jan 22, 2018 thru Sunday, Jan 28, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                      Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
                      Mon 8.1 8:14 Treadmill feature: Star Wars. Yes, the original. 135 (69%) strava
                      Tue 1.0 8:55 Footpod calibration stuff 155 (79%) strava
                      Tue 6.7 8:45 Treadmill podcast: Ten Junk Miles, episode 50. 138 (70%) strava
                      Wed 8.5 8:03 Treadmill album: Evanescence - Origin 134 (68%) strava
                      Thu 8.5 7:08 3x 2 mi @ LT w/ 2 min recovery 160 (82%) strava
                      Fri 9.1 7:46 *Placeholder for clever treadmill run name* 137 (70%) strava
                      Sat 13.3 8:02 1st tready LR. Missing the Landrunners, + Ten Junk Miles ep 51. 131 (67%) strava
                        55.2 7:59

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

darkwave

Mother of Cats

FB - that sounds like crazy running.  I have to admit, I've never thought of my runs as organized by compass direction.

CK - I've never used Stryd as a measure of distance, but it seems like a lot of people rave about it.

10 very easy today (8:45) plus drills, strides, upper body weights/core.

Question for those who have experienced Botulism before.  I am doing my long run at 10:00 am tomorrow to practice the later start - I'll wake at 5:00 am, have a first breakfast, and then a second meal before my long run.  I have an iffy stomach, and need some food but not too much to run well, so I need to test this out.

When you did Botulism, how did you map out your eating on race day?  When did you get off the bus?  When did you have to go to the start line?

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

dwave- you have never run Botswana?!?? Dang.

So I've never been in Wave 1 which you probably will be (right? jim was w1/c8 if I recall from his CIM 3:10. I was w2/c4 with a 3:21). Actually for timing purposes, you should find one of those historical charts to guess what corral you'll be in and then build out your schedule from there, and someone here with w1 experience should give you their timing.
                          But my typical morning food steps are ...
                          - wake up, at a time comparable to my pre-work weekday runs
                          - eat oatmeal/banana/pb, drink coffee and water. this is the one day a year I eat quick oats, since it has much less fiber and is quicker to make than steel cut.
                          - do all of getting ready stuff - get dressed, throwaways, etc. if it's a year when you don't *need* throwaways, well.... it will be hot and your race will suck. just a prediction :P 
                          - first bathroom attempt of the morning
                          - get ready to walk out (we stay in a place that's less than 10min walk to bus) (and I don't do bag drop to save some time, though their new placement/system is really quite efficient) and grab second breakfast bag. i prepare this the night before and put it in a bag that i can just throw away in athlete's village. it's usually bagel with pb, a disposable waterbottle (the one time of year I condone this wasteful folly!!), a banana.
                          - get on bus, and i slowly go through 2nd breakfast on bus, often not finishing it.
                          - then between athlete's village and then entering corral, you have time to go to the bathroom like 15 times if you really wanted to.

so... yeah. that's the food stuff. sorry i can't be more helpful on the exact timing. starting your run at 10am will be good. from my memory it sounds like 5am might even be an early wakeup for wave1, since i'm assuming you will stay close to the start/finish area. but you are also a bit more meticulous with these things than i am.

oregonrw

Happy Saturday.  11ish miles this morning, easy.  I think that's the longest run I've done in a couple of months so I was happy with it.

FB: Thanks for the welcome. I am a lawyer, but a nonprofit one - is that better? Smile

Brewing: I've looked at Hanson plans before -- they're definitely interesting, and I know people have success with them, but my head gets stuck with that 16 mile long run. I need longer runs, I think.

Commander: Impressive treadmill running - those can be tougher than running outside in some ways.

Darkwave: I've run that race a number of times.  I assume you'll be in Wave 1? I'm not sure what the wave cut off is.  Anyway, the buses run for awhile but I usually take one of the early ones to get out to the start.  I don't like to rush.  So I eat a regular breakfast in my hotel around 5ish, something like oatmeal, and I bring a bagel with peanut butter out to the start with me.  Also bring water for the bus. I eat my bagel after getting to Hopkinton and settling in.  Then they call you to walk to the start about 45 minutes or so before your start time I think, and it always takes longer than I expect so I go as soon as they call for us.  The timing of it all is definitely a little tricky. They also usually have bagels, bananas, and Power Bars in the athlete's village if you are really starving.

Running Problem

Problem Child

oregon I went from a 3:23 at CIM 2015 to a 3:13 and the ONLY difference was Hansons. The 16 mile run is really nice because you've put in a couple 10-13 miles runs during the week so the 20 mile run you "have" to get because you're training for a marathon would take WAY too long. The literature they provide as to why they limit a long run to 16 is also convincing. Again, I'm a big fan of the Hanson's plan and I actually like when their book kind of says "If you doubt us, follow our plan and put in an honest effort, and if we're wrong we'll own it. We haven't been wrong yet."

keen NeRP is doing good. He is getting put on a schedule (mom) and sleeping 11-14 hours a night. We're still figuring this out but he seems to have better days than I'd expect for a 6 week old. It's still a lot of home time but I try and let the wife know she can leave whenever she wants for as long as she wants to keep her sanity. I left for about 4 hours today for the long run and I figured I should cherish these moments until I'm pushing a stroller. As for the heart rate and the treadmill, are you running on an incline at all? I do at least a 2 incline as I've read you need to do a minimum of a 1 incline to emulate the roads. Doing zero incline could explain a super low heart rate while running assisted. Oh and I was thinking about you when some Jason Boland came on my commute to work.

rlk for some reason I am surprised you do throw away clothing. I couldn't believe the number of people who go buy bathrobes for CIM to stay warm up to the start. It just seems like so much waste and would explain why people might not like CIM going on each year. I have used bag drops for races (cim only) to hold my pre-race clothes but I haven't figured out the "post race" clothes thing yet. Plus I don't know if they'd keep my Coors Light cold enough. How was the cardiologist?

DW yeah the "how did I do this before?" is real. Glad I'm not the only one. MY only suggestion for the April marathon is to grab some chipotle, keep it in the cooler, and maybe warm it up on a hotplate before the race for breakfast. The whole 10am thing DOES throw an unexpected wrench into things I haven't thought about for the 4/20/20 race.

VDOT 53.37 

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

brew- i just wear old stuff that needs to be gotten rid of anyway - no purchasing stuff just to trash the next day!

_________________________________________________