2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Thanks guys - no, I've never run Botulism before.  I have a 3:09:21, which I'm hoping gets me into Wave 1.

All of this is really helpful.  I always have several balls to balance on race morning - take asthma meds at least 3 hours pre-race; eat the right breakfast;  poop, get my hips stretched out and glutes firing (takes a good 20-25 minutes) -   so I want to get a general sense of how this goes now so I can rehearse once or twice.

My teammates who have run Botulism before told me that they regretted not doing some 10 am long runs and practicing how to eat for that time, so I'm learning from their example.

As I look back, I've done CIM (4:45 am bus boarding for 7 am race start) and Grandma's (5:45 am bus for 7:45 am start).  So a 6:30-ish am bus for a 10 am start isn't that different.

Questions - how long is the bus ride, and are there bathrooms on the buses?  I ask because if I eat my breakfast on the bus, I'm going to need the restroom shortly after....

Also, will there be a wall or similar there that I can use to do my couch stretch?

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

oregonrw

Darkwave: The bus ride is about an hour, maybe a little longer depending on the back up getting into Hopkinton. The regular runners' buses are school buses, so no bathrooms on the bus. The parking lot where you are let off is next to a huge group of portapotties, but of course there are never enough so there will be lines (but you might be out there early enough that there won't be much of one).  And wow, that looks like an intense stretch.  I'm not sure if it would work but there are a couple of schools at the athletes' village so you could try it on one of the school walls I think.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

yeah, the bus ride is long. i always really have to pee during it. the shuffle from bus into village takes kind of awhile; i've peed in the woods across from where the bus lets you off. no shame, other people are doing it too.

interesting stretch! yeah, the school where the village is has walls that you can wedge yourself next to. maybe try doing it before entering athletes village, where i seem to recall there are more walls.

if you do any warmup running/jogging, don't count on getting it done. there is never really any space once you enter corral (where there is your second big cluster of portapotties and last chance before the race) to get moving much, jsut shuffling into start spot. but there is definitely space in the village on the grass to do somewhat stationary activation exercises. maybe bring a trash bag as a surface in case the grass is wet.

and unlike CIM, you can't stay on the bus. but it's always warm so it's not like you'd have a reason to...! *sad trombone*

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

AceHarris

oregon: welcome!

FB: my oldest, who is almost 4 is growing so fast! I don't like it. She probably wonders why I hug her all the time. I'm just trying to squeeze her enough to keep her small.

Brew: glad to hear the family is doing well. Looks like training is moving along as well. I've had good luck with airbnb's and VRBOs in the past. Best of luck!

Keen: Nice work on the TM. That sounds like torture to me.

Rozzie: I can't imagine running in 80 degrees right now! It was 57 here today and that was a little toasty, especially compared to recent temps.

RLK: If you do a treadmill stress test will you count it in your weekly miles?

Katia: sounds like the ankle is recovering well.

Off to the introductions page to catch up. Hey to everybody out there lurking!

Had a good workout today, once I finally went out to run. I kept delaying my workout due to predicted rain, but it never rained. 2 easy, 8 tempo, 2 easy. Tempo miles: 6:27, 6:24, 6:20, 6:22, 6:20, 6:19, 6:15, 6:12. Goal was to avg 6:20 for the tempo. Avg came out to 6:19.75.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Running Problem

Problem Child

brew- i just wear old stuff that needs to be gotten rid of anyway - no purchasing stuff just to trash the next day!

I also reconsidered the use of throw away clothes when I remembered female exercise clothing lacks proper storage. Pockets apparently are for men only from what I remember reading on here.

ace sweet miles.

Brewed a 1 gallon batch of a New England IPA this morning. It's about 2-3 hours shorter but 20% of the volume. I might do a few more of these brews. It's kind of fun to wake up around 5:00am and have everything done around 8-8:30. Now to figure out how far I want to run while NeRP is in mom's care and also factor in a 2-ish mile walk later today.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - It sounds like NeRP is doing awesome. I think DD3 has hit a growth spurt. She went from sleeping 6-8 hours at night back to 2-3 and wanting to eat all the time. She has been really alert though, especially in the mornings.

Definitely savor the time you can get by yourself, and good on you for being willing to let Mrs. Brew get out when she needs to. I still haven't been able to get DW out the door by herself more than once.

I've kept the treadmill at 1% or 2% most of the time. If I leave it flat it feels like the thing is running for me. I may see if I can raise the rear of it so I can simulate downhills. That's one thing I really miss from running on the roads.

I still think you knowing Jason Boland is awesome. Have you ever heard of The Great Divide? Those guys had some great stuff as well.

Ace - Things being tough on the treadmill come and go, it's kind of weird. Awesome job on the workout! How's the family doing?

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

OMR

Dwave:  Have you (or anyone else) read "Ready to Run"?  If so, curious about your thoughts about the rest of it.

Ace:  Oof, that's a nice tempo.

Hey to everyone.  Still no running for me - tried jogging a little on Wednesday, and had to shut it down fairly quickly - but I think I'm getting close.  10.7M (1:20) on an elliptical today, 36 elliptical miles for the week.

Busy week ...

Oregon ~ Welcome!

rlk ~ re: cardiologist 

DkW ~ My preference was to eat a larger meal (oatmeal) in hotel and carry a snack, but you'll see people eating all sorts of things from just before they got on to bus, while on the bus, and in AV. Porta-potty timing can be challenging; be aware that there are some b/w AV and start corrals. Also, if you want to jog some, there's a chance b/w AV and corrals.

My week:

M) am: 4.5 and pm: 4.5

Tu) 7.5 w/ strides

W) 11 w/ 4-3-2-1-1-2-3-4-4-3-2-1 minute "fartlek" @ "10K" (6:22) w/ 2 min rec

Th) 7.5

F) 7.5

Sa) 9.5 w/ 20 x 200m @ "mile" (just under 41 avg or a touch under 5:30/mile pace) w/ 200m jog

Su) 14 hilly/rolling

Total: 66

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Dwave:  Have you (or anyone else) read "Ready to Run"?  If so, curious about your thoughts about the rest of it.

Yes.  If' you're referring to the book by Kelly Starrett, I'm a big fan, with a caveat.  I like his suggested exercises and therapies, especially voodoo flossing, which I do all the time.  However, I think that his descriptions of how to execute them are a bit aggressive for those of us over 40.  He espouses a cross-fit like mentality of "this is supposed to be uncomfortable" - however, masters runners need to ease into the exercises - we can't force stuff the way younger people can.

For example, I started off doing that couch stretch by forcing it (as he encourages) and made my knees angry.  I later learned that I needed to back off and only perform that stretch to where I felt a slight tightness.  Once I made that adjustment, I started to benefit from the exercise, and my range of motion increased over time.  And now, a few years later, I'm able to execute the couch stretch as shown in the book.

FWIW, I think there are two books that every often-injured runner should read.  Ready to Run by Starrett is one; Anatomy for Runners by Jay Dicharry is the other.

Ace - very nice tempo.  Wow on that one.

Thanks all for the Botulism advice.  I did my long run this morning, starting at 10:15.  Had first breakfast at 5:45, and second breakfast at 8:15.  No digestive issues.  I did feel a bit sluggish at first, which I suspect was because I had some sugar and caffeine at 5:45, and they were starting to wear off by 10:15.  So that's a good lesson - stick to slower digesting carbs for the first breakfast, saving the caffeine and sugar for the second.

My week: 62 miles and 17 "miles" pool-running.  Week looked like this:

M: yoga and 6.5 "miles" pool-running.
                    T: 11 miles, including a track workout of 2000m, 4x800 in 7:47, 3:02, 2:58, 3:00, 2:57.  Also injury prevention work and recovery swimming.
                    W: 8 miles very easy to yoga (9:06), yoga, and then 6 miles very easy (9:05) plus drills+strides.
                    Th: upper body weights/core and 10.5 "miles" pool-running.
                    F: 10 miles, including a track tempo of 4 miles in 25:59 (6:43/6:30/6:24/6:22).  Also injury prevention work and recovery swimming.

Sa: 10 miles very easy (8:45) plus drills/strides, upper body weights and core.
                    Su: 16 miles progressive, split as first 5 at 8:45; next 5 at 7:38; last 6 at 6:48 (DC-area peeps - I did this one as 8 miles on the Mount Vernon Trail from Roosevelt Island to Alexandria and then 8 miles back.  Worked very nicely for getting some mild hills into the long run).  Also injury prevention work and recovery swimming.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Hey to the new folks - rozzie and oregon.

I've been in a running slump for a few weeks, but (hopefully) I'm getting back into it now...

• M: 8 easy
                      • T: 6 with intervals (12x400) at the armory
                      • W: urd
                      • Th: 12 with hilly tempo 2x5K@6:50
                      • F: 7 easy
                      • S: 13 easy
                      • S: spin

total=46

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

I also reconsidered the use of throw away clothes when I remembered female exercise clothing lacks proper storage. Pockets apparently are for men only from what I remember reading on here.

yeah, we don't need pockets because we don't need to carry keys or credit cards or gus or anything. we don't run far enough to need any of those things, because our anatomy will fall out if we do. yaaa. 

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

darkwave

Mother of Cats

yeah, we don't need pockets because we don't need to carry keys or credit cards or gus or anything. we don't run far enough to need any of those things, because our anatomy will fall out if we do. yaaa. 

It's because the sportsbra is basically one big pocket....

(That's where my gels and credit cards and keys go)

pepperjack

pie man

I didn't ride the bus to the start my year, well not the big bus ride anyway. We stayed in Framingham (cheap!) and thus I got dropped at Hopkinton (high?) school and it was a shorter bus ride from there to the other school.  Even got to sleep in a bit.  Wait at the village was still interminable to me.

I was 5th or 6th corral in the first wave with my 3:07:59 that year.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

AceHarris

Dwave: “one big pocket” haha

Speaking of pockets, that reminds me of Brew’s Shorts that could carry 2 gallons of milk!! (Was it Jim that pointed it out?)

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Running Problem

Problem Child

keen I've heard OF them but I can't say I've listened to much of their music. I think you can see why I don't turn down a Coors Light. If your area has a "drink and paint" night maybe suggest the wife goes if she is into that stuff or buy her a 2 person one to take a friend. DW has done a couple and the artwork is cool enough to keep up where people can see. As for the treadmill....maybe you're just not working as hard as you think. I think there is something to consider when a machine is moving a belt and you're pretty much just along for the ride. as for DD3 going 2-3 hours.....HOLY FAWK! 6-8 hours a night of sleep down to 2-3. Sounds like everything everyone told me it would be. NeRP gets 1-2 hours (so I'm told) between feedings overnight and it's getting better. He had 15 hours of sleep last night and that's an increase from 12. I think the schedule is helping DW and NeRP. DW had girlfriends over Saturday and told them she doesn't wake me up because it's faster for her to change him than ask me. I said "well I also haven't been awake for 30 minutes when you wake me up." I'm sure it will be MUCH different with numero two if there is a number two.

ace I saw the treadmill run. #FTS I think I could do it if I went back to watching TV, reading, or listening to music. I'd rather just run outside but I am accepting it's possibly a necessity if DW needs me to be available. Having just 1 is different than 2, or 3, or more.

DW This reminded me of you.

See the source image

I'm secretly following your 10 am running life to see what it will be like in 2020. I like the approach of doing the runs like you're doing the race. Just like Chicago will be my first non-GPS (scared poopless) marathon, 4/20/20 will be the first race not starting at 7:30. I might lose sleep the night before just being scared I won't wake up in time.

sports bras so do they have the little flip pouch key holder things for keys or do females (millennials) just have digital everything and upgrade their phones often enough it isn't a problem they're destroyed by NaCl?

SC I see you lurking.

max hope you're doing good. If you have any races coming up let me know. I think you know Van Phan. I saw she is doing Moab 240 (and they changed the name from Moab 200) this year. I looked at her list of races...I can see why you respect her so much. She pounds out miles. Also, on the January Strava 200km challenge you're ahead of Elov Olsson. NICE! I hope you're doing well.

rov aren't you supposed to be doing like 70 mpw or something? You're kind of a motivator for me to get back to even 50 mpw.

My week:

Did some trails with a friend Saturday. Did my speed work and dropped the hammer on the last interval. Looks like 6:30 pace is what I should aim for with jogging recoveries. 40 MPW isn't TOO hard if you get the miles in early and add a double digit weekend run. Trying to mix in new parenthood, long runs, learning photography, keeping the house clean, brewing, and keeping mom happy is a lot. I understand the "you make it work" approach. If you want to do so many things you'll have to sacrifice somewhere (watching TV) but you'll make it work (photos along a 1 hour walk carrying NeRP and brewing at 5 am while cleaning during the week) and people will look at you like you're some kind of mythological creature (troll).

Apparently the RWOL link is down. 42.5 miles. I'm 11 in the RWOL 3:20 strava group. Perfect. Just outside Top 10 so when I sandbag no one will notice.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22