2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

oregonrw

Today has been a Monday for sure.  I slept through my alarm after a rough night of sleep, so no run this morning. I brought things to work to run at lunch, but nothing for rain and it's now raining sideways out (bad planning on my part. I should have known, but the forecast was no rain until a little later today so I thought I'd be able to sneak it in). Hopefully I will be able to run after work, even if it's short. Hopefully tomorrow will be a little smoother.

Darkwave: Good plan on the caffeine - I think later is better. I didn't figure that out until my second or third time running that race, when I realized my headache was probably a lack of caffeine. Now I just bring something to the AV with me.

Brewing: That's an impressive improvement from Hansons - congrats! It sounds like you have a new (?) baby too -- congrats again. Babies are great. So are toddlers, and even teenagers.

FB: All non profit lawyers are great -- it's a prerequisite for the job. (Kidding). Congrats on hitting 200 miles/month!

Katia: That's nice you have a shower at work - If I run at work I just don't shower, and hope nobody minds too much.

Hello to everyone else!

runethechamp

Rune - I'm confused by your training - I thought your marathon wasn't until fall.

That makes sense since I have a goal race (HM for now) in late March, but I decided to follow a relatively low mileage full marathon plan from Jack Daniels to train for that. That way, if I feel brave, I could potentially race the full marathon instead of the half in March, although I doubt that will happen. Regardless, I will definitely run Amsterdam in October.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

darkwave

Mother of Cats

In the meantime, yesterday I ran 8k on the track at roughly goal marathon pace of 7:17. It was a medium effort and my avg. HR came out to 157, but it was definitely creeping up to 160-162 in the last mile or so. So, question: Is there anything that can be extrapolated from that information? What kind of HR is usually sustainable for a marathon? All I know is that my easy runs are usually 135-145, and a 5k will be in the mid 170s, maybe getting to 180 by the end.

I think it's individual.    My last three marathons, all run on different types of courses in different weather conditions, all had remarkably similar HR profiles.  Starts in mid-160s, rises through mid-170s to late 170s, and then peaks in the low 180s at the end.  See here.  My HR also peaks in the 180s for a 5K, so there you go.  And it only hit the mid-170s in my recent half-marathon - probably because it was cold then.

I've never hit the 180s during a mile race, bizarrely enough.

What I take from this is that you can't place too much trust in HR - it's very dependent on weather conditions and hydration status, and can be very slow to adjust to your effort.  My HR also bumps up if I have to pee....

I do try to keep my HR in the mid-160s, rising to low 170s during MP work, because that seems to match marathon pace and marathon effort to me when training.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

runethechamp

I'm not sure it it's all useful, but I find it interesting to see how my heart rate during race pace training runs compares to actual race efforts. Garmin will spit out max heart rate and average heart rate for each split (each mile for me) so I take a look at both to compare. So far it seems to be a decent predictor of whether the pace is sustainable for the full race distance or not, even though daily variables can change my HR somewhat. So I guess it really just tells me something about just that specific day and whether the pace would have been sustainable under the conditions at the time.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Indeed, I have been scoping things out for a triumphant return... once I hit 30 mpw. I still haven't gotten there - I've been upper-20s for the last 5 weeks or so.

...In the meantime, yesterday I ran 8k on the track at roughly goal marathon pace of 7:17. It was a medium effort and my avg. HR came out to 157, but it was definitely creeping up to 160-162 in the last mile or so. So, question: Is there anything that can be extrapolated from that information? What kind of HR is usually sustainable for a marathon? All I know is that my easy runs are usually 135-145, and a 5k will be in the mid 170s, maybe getting to 180 by the end.

Upper 20s is still a dream for me.  Heck, lower 20s. I'm managing 12 right now.  Coming back from zero hurts.

As far as your question goes, it's...kind of irrelevant.  Limiting factor is endurance, which you can't determine from 8k.  Though I'd say that if your HR was creeping up after only 8k you're in no way ready for a marathon at that pace.  I use Greg Maclin's HR chart and it's fairly accurate for me, but again, the HR is only part of the picture for the marathon distance.

Katia-count me in as jealous as well with the shower at work and the ability to sneak out at lunchtime.

FB-I may be wrong on this, but are you in Italy?  You mention medici villas and Roman ruins.  I spent a lot of time in Italy past couple years as we used to have a business based out of there.  If I did guess right, I know all too well the search for runnable roads.  It became a game.  Congrats on the great month!

Someone mentioned Disney races, ugh.  Those wakeup's are rough.   Speaking of wake-up's, tomorrow starts my time back at the hospital.  Alarm set for 0330 to get some recovery miles in.  It takes at least 2 weeks to not feel dead by 2pm to me.

Welcome Jamie!

My half went better than expected on Sunday.  Beat my A target (I just can't use the word "goal" right now) by 23 seconds.   It was humid, but poured water over my head each water stop to keep my HR down.  For anyone interested, Celebration is always advertised as one of top BQ races in country.  I feel like I can comment on my impression since it is a double loop.   Ummm.  Weather super unpredictable.   Lots and lots of twisty turns.  Lots.  Several miles of boardwalks.  Even a pace group leader I ran with for a while says to plan to drop 30 seconds off your pace during the boardwalk portion.

DW, thank you for pointing out the book.  I put it on my wish list.

Ilana--you and me both!  It has taken my 7 months to get near 40 mpw safely.    I never knew how hard it is to come from zero.  They say the  best way to eat an elephant is one bite at time.  Except I don't eat meat...

Speed Surplus

Though I'd say that if your HR was creeping up after only 8k you're in no way ready for a marathon at that pace. 

Whaddaya mean I'm not ready? I've been averaging 25 mpw for 8 weeks! 

For real though, while I have no idea how fit I am (or am not), I have no illusions about being marathon-fit right now. I think if I had done 10 or 15 miles at that pace I would have been at an unsustainable heart rate way before the end.

I'm just curious about effort perception, as I've started to get more of a sense of what 130, 140, 150, or 160 bpm "feels" like for me. I haven't worn a HR monitor during a marathon before, so I have no personal data. And it crapped out during the one race I ran last year, so I don't have data from that, either. I estimated what it might be during a 5k in my previous post based on little bits of hard running at roughly 5k pace here and there.

I think currently it sounds almost impossible to have that "160 bpm feeling" for a whole marathon, but people do sustain that kind of HR. Maybe the feeling changes with more fitness and endurance? IDK.

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

Speed Surplus

"Upper 20s is still a dream for me.  Heck, lower 20s. I'm managing 12 right now.  Coming back from zero hurts."

Also, meant to reply to this. I've seen a few of your runs/rides on Strava lately and it's good to see you back out there! I can't remember what injury you were battling with, but I know the feeling of coming back from basically zero...and yep, it sucks. My wife has been dealing with a hip injury for EVER - like, a year - and she's just now starting to get out there for a mile or two at a time.

Any races or events you're building back up to?

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

Welcome Jamie.

Nice to see you post SClever.

Rozzie ~ Congrats on beating your non-goal. Humidity is tough, so even better.

Those of you returning from injury, stay patient!

AceHarris

Jamie: welcome!

I was off work today, but spent most of the day patching our bathroom ceiling from a roof leak. I feel for anyone who does most of their work above their head. Just about a half day's work for me and my back is in knots! I feel for Michelangelo.

A little lower mileage week, but with 3 workouts (intervals, hills, tempo). Also, I apparently forgot my HRM a few times.

Weekly Summary
                      Monday, Jan 22, 2018 thru Sunday, Jan 28, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                      Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
                      Mon 6.0 7:56 Lunch Run 0 strava
                      Tue 7.9 7:16 2 easy, 5x1200 w/ 60s rest, 2 easy 0 strava
                      Thu 2.0 8:20 Watch Issues are getting frustrating. This was the warmup before hills 138 strava
                      Thu 4.0 8:14 16x100 Hills, 2 miles easy 0 strava
                      Fri 5.1 7:44 Give Me 5 145 strava
                      Sat 12.0 6:54 Placing an order for some tight legs tomorrow (2E, 8T, 2E) 162 strava
                      Sun 5.0 8:13 Survived 5 on the TM 0 strava
                        42.0 7:34      

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

OMR

OMR -- hope you are healing. Do you have a schedule to start running again?

45 last week with 15@8:14 yesterday (1,000 ft) and 7:29 last mile. That's a good run for me, so yay. 200 @ 8:17 for the month -- best month in 2+ years.

FB:  Good to see your comeback continue.  As for me, no schedule.  There was some excess fluid in the joint, which was causing pain, but that has subsided, so the source of pain has shifted.  At this point, my primary thought is inflammation of a tendon/ligament, but I know it could also be a worsening of osteoarthritis.  Everything feels pretty normal now, except for when I bend my knee with pressure/weight on my heel.  I've debated going to a Dr. to get it checked out, but I don't think anything is structurally wrong, or that it is a torn meniscus or ligament, so my guess is that they would just say to rest it, etc., which is basically what I'm doing.  If it's in the same condition in another week, I'll probably head in.

In the meantime, 70 minutes on the elliptical for me today.

DukeDB

DWave - I opted in this morning, ran on the treadmill instead of W&L track.  It was snowing and 30 when I left Rockville this morning so I dressed to stay inside since I wasn't sure of footing.  I'll say hello if I recognize you.  Glad your group is on that track - too fast for me at this point, but motivating!

Ilana - Is the Maclin chart you refer to this one:  http://mymarathonpace.com/Running_Calculators.html ?  Agree with you that short efforts really don't tell you anything for the full, unless you are deep in training.  The 920XT's "race predictor" results make me laugh.  If only!

SC - it seems like we have similar HR numbers on easy runs and in 5K races.  I think 160 is a good number to see in the marathon, but I wouldn't press if I was seeing a lower value while running my goal pace.  Whether I'd back off if I felt good but saw a higher value is a different question . . .

Arvind Balaraman

My Training Last week

Long Run Sun, 1/28/2018 Rain run with Jay 1:40:26 12.09 mi 604 ft
                            Run Sat, 1/27/2018 Easy 2 with Ani 26:01:00 2.66 mi 98 ft
                            Workout Sat, 1/27/2018 Sat LSD : Umstead 1:58:01 14.48 mi 1,069 ft
                            Run Fri, 1/26/2018 2 Easy on the Dreadmill 16:00 2.00 mi - ft
                            Weight Training Fri, 1/26/2018 Bootcamp 45:00:00 0 mi - ft
                            Workout Thu, 1/25/2018 1wu +16X(400, 200RI) + 1cd 1:01:07 8.12 mi 115 ft
                            Ride Thu, 1/25/2018 Spinning 41:00:00 11.60 mi - ft
                            Run Thu, 1/25/2018 1 WU 8:20 1.00 mi - ft
                            Run Wed, 1/24/2018 Easy 4 34:37:00 4.14 mi 125 ft
                            Weight Training Wed, 1/24/2018 Weights 30:00:00 0 mi - ft
                            Workout Tue, 1/23/2018 Hill repeats 55:59:00 6.27 mi 669 ft
                            Weight Training Tue, 1/23/2018 Core workout 30:00:00 0 mi - ft
                            Weight Training Tue, 1/23/2018 Foam Rolling 20:00 0 mi - ft
                            Run Mon, 1/22/2018 Easy 5 43:19:00 5.28 mi 144 ft
                            Weight Training Mon, 1/22/2018 Foam Rolling 15:00 0 mi - ft

Total       55.8  
                            jaimegu

Hi, thanks for the welcoming messages,

Answering the question on HR during a marathon: This is my data (valid only for me in those particular races under those specific conditions so, please read that only as a reference)

Ottawa (flat, 11C >17C foggy to sunny): Average HR: 148 (79%WHR)  only went beyond 150bpms in the last 45 minutes when I was tired and the sun came out)

Cornwall: (minor net downhill with short hills, 13C partially sunny) Average HR: 148 (81%WHR  Ageing!) Last 1h20 over 150bpms

Running Problem

Problem Child

Ace Were your hills on a treadmill? I've considered doing some hill workouts there. The 5K training DW linked (bookmarked ) mentions two types of hill workouts. The long hill repeats are about 1 minute long and they suggest a 6% grade. I might have to go out and do these Friday. Also, that 12 mile Saturday run... (insert fire emoji) SMOKING! I guess I shouldn't be surprised because you have like an 17 minute 5K time. One way to get in some long runs with a kiddo is to run them really fast I guess.

oregon yeah he's about 8 weeks old. Wife is doing a lot of the ground work.

Clever Marathons I'm 160-170. 172 isn't sustainable for very long and higher is harder. I'll get some 5K data in March but what I remember about racing is it didn't matter what distance I ran I stayed in the 160-170 range. The difference was the speed I was running and the distance. 6:26 pace will probably get the heart rate up really quick but I'm not doing 26.3 miles at that pace...yet. I'd look at what your max hit for those intervals. Here is an interval workout I did last week. Average heart rate is around what yours was. Max is a little higher. I'm not sure I believe 6:02 pace with a 160 max for my last interval. It didn't FEEL like 160. 2016 CIM results (check the last 2 miles). 2016 half marathon. 2015 CIM results. All of these are/were PRs. I might just be special and my heart works just as hard at a 5K as it does for a marathon.I'd say the beginning of CIM feels like 160 the two times I've run it but maybe I'm just in a blurred state at that point.

Arvind those hill repeats are intersting. Did you do up and down hard? Saw some 6:00 paces mixed in there. Also, I didn't know Strava had a "weights" category. I'll have to figure that out to enter the TRX workouts I'm not doing.

Question: How would you interpret this hill workout "Recovery between reps is four to five minutes, including our jog back down the hill and some walking at the bottom."? 4-5 minutes total or 4-5 minutes plus the time it takes to get back to the start, which seems excessive?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22