2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - Sorry that everyone (but NeRP) is sick, hopefully that passes quickly for everyone. Popcorn sounds really good right now for some reason.
    6 weeks seems on one hand like a lot of time, but on the other it really isn't that far. 8 weeks out (where I'm at) just seems so far away...
    DD3 likes her baths as well. Actually, DDs 1 & 2 do, too.

RLK - LOL! I actually don't know much about there being too much daylight in the room. Between running and kiddos I'm fortunate if I'm up after dawn once a week. I need sleep!
    Good for your running buddy for being flexible. Interesting circuit concept... *bookmark*

Just got an email about the course for the OKC Memorial races being changed for the next two years (different changes each year) due to construction of a trolley system in parts of downtown. No mention of which of the new courses will be used for 2021, or if it will be the old/current route or yet another new one.
    I guess one positive is that the new course will cut out the miles next to the lake, which while flat are typically tough as they're always against the wind.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Brew - hope you kick the bug soon.

CK - funny that you comment about the humidity being lower out there recently.  When I was running in Topeka last Tuesday, I kept thinking "if they call this humidity, then wow" - but I guess I just got lucky and was there on the right day.

(and yes, I know Topeka is a long way from OK City)

Hi to all others.  The mile repeats thing still has me shaking my head, but my coach hates pilates and yoga, so there you go.

10 miles very easy for me (9:28) plus some DIY yoga.  Got a massage this afternoon.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

oregonrw

Brew: Hope you are feeling better and that NeRP doesn't catch it.  Sick babies are so sad.

CK: Cutting down on a windy section sounds definitely positive -- but does it add in hills to make up for that section being lost?

DW: Why does your coach hate pilates and yoga?

RLK: Sounds like you'll be in great shape to train for CIM even without doing mile repeats since your mileage is high.

I ran 8 yesterday with 5 x 5 min hard. Recovery was supposed to be 3-5 minutes easy, and I'm normally at the low end of that but yesterday I took all 5 minutes.  It felt really hard for some reason.  I've definitely lost leg turnover -- not sure if it's age or just not doing it enough. This morning was 7 miles easy.

Speaking of humidity, next week I'll be in Orlando for work.  It's been a long time since I've had to run in true swampy heat/humidity -- I'm not looking forward to it.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

DWave - Weather has (largely) been better the last couple weeks than it has since spring. I checked your weather and it's very similar to what we have now - a little warmer, but a little less humidity. Be thankful you missed the days of 80*+ / 75+ DP / 90% humidity at 5am!
          Sports massage, or other? One of these days I'll try try a massage.

Has your mug come in yet?

Oregon - There hasn't been a really good course map released yet, but from what I've been able to see so far is that one bridge after the lake is now gone (~mile 17), but replaced with two bridges within the first few miles of the course. I'll probably drive/run the new sections closer to race day - I've got about 240 days for that!
          5x5 hard? Sounds like the workout I'm skipping this week! Turnover should come back pretty quickly once you get a couple fast sessions in.

In going to the OKC Marathon website to look up info on the new course I noticed that I'm in the video of the start that plays on the main page. Serious points if anyone can pick me out. And no, I'm not the guy in white long sleeves who never should have been directly on the start line who trips twice immediately. I'm shocked he didn't take anyone down with him.

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Running Problem

Problem Child

In going to the OKC Marathon website to look up info on the new course I noticed that I'm in the video of the start that plays on the main page. Serious points if anyone can pick me out. And no, I'm not the guy in white long sleeves who never should have been directly on the start line who trips twice immediately. I'm shocked he didn't take anyone down with him.

hold please.....backwards Black hat, black singlet, second row is my guess.

Feeling better physically however mentally I'm done with running. Just a lot going on this week, plus preparing for a camping trip this weekend, so I've canned today's workout. Yesterday was canned because I didn't want to push my luck on being healthy. Half day at work tomorrow so I should put in some effort to get at least an hour of running. 3 hours of sleep last night (just couldn't fall asleep) didn't give me confidence in my ability to stay awake at work, but somehow I managed and I think it's largely due to NOT running. The week was supposed to be 70. I'll be lucky to hit 40 at this point. Great mental feeling with 5 weeks to go.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

hold please.....backwards Black hat, black singlet, second row is my guess.

Negative, Ghost Rider.

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Running Problem

Problem Child

Negative, Ghost Rider.

right hand side behind orange singlet/blue and white hat guy AND green singlet AND red singlet guys?in front of "cool dad with sun glasses and blue singlet" ?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DW: Why does your coach hate pilates and yoga?

Honestly, I'm not totally sure.  He's very old school, and comes from a time before yoga/pilates.  I think he just sees runners who show up at workouts sore or tired or injured from those classes, and thinks that there's no benefit and that he didn't need them when he was running competitively as an elite.    For myself, I think there's huge benefit from those types of things, and I think they're a large part of keeping me healthy.

Enjoy Orlando - I don't think this is the best time of year for a visit Smile

CK - I got the mug a while back.  I think I posted a picture (I'm too lazy to dig up).  It's awfully purty.

Also, for the record - we've had quite a few mornings with DPs in the mid-70s.  Including the last time I ran, on Wednesday (Temp 76, DP 75).

I will check out the video.

Brewing - at the risk of being an enabler, I really believe that anytime you really really want to take a day off, you should.  Also, those plans are generally structured with the idea that you'll get about 80-90% of them done.  I really wouldn't worry too much about missing a day or two in the broader scheme of things.  The whole point of your training cycle is NOT to complete the training plan as perfectly as possibly, but to run a good Chicago.  Those two goals are different, and sometimes quite divergent.

upper body weights/core, DIY yoga, and 8 "miles" pool-running.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

oregonrw

For myself, I think there's huge benefit from those types of things, and I think they're a large part of keeping me healthy.

Enjoy Orlando - I don't think this is the best time of year for a visit Smile

Agree. I think I was the strongest I've been when I did yoga regularly in addition to running, even just once a week.  But I seem to have less time for it these days -- I think I need 26 hours per day.

No, it's not the best time to visit Orlando, but it's probably the cheapest, which is why this conference I have to go to is there. Yay?

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Keen: Any chance you started your email to the Athletic Director with something like "Dear Douxxxbag"?  Congrats on the mileage PR.

Brew: I'm not exactly the right person to say this, but sometimes you use a lot of words to describe what one workout is like.  In fact, thinking about it some more, on a words/mile basis you are a piker compared to me.

KK: Nice to see you again, sorry about the calf, and isn't the AQI in Salt Lick City always bad?  I've driven through twice (meaning 4 separate days) in the past year and it's never been lovely.  Says the guy living in the city that had the worst air pollution of any major city IN THE WORLD recently.  Congratulations on the KKjr-to-be and I hope that goes smoothly.

Rovatti: Finding a rhythm/schedule that results in no problems is good.

Jim's Kat: Are you running a marathon this fall?  What is the Jim's Kat update on race goals?  Ah, ask and I shall receive - you answered in a later post.  Very interested to see how CIM goes for you.  I suspect that jumping in to run with you at mile 24 is not a good idea for me - I'd be able to hang with you for probably 100 yards before you dropped me.

Clever: Pro tip for HTC - run your first leg slower, not like you are doing a 5.5 mile race at 5.5 mile pace.

Ace:   With those 1600 repeat paces, maybe you should join that faster thread.  Even if it's smaller with less-awesome people.

Darkwave: If you get to pick your own split time, I'd go with just under the world record and claim an unofficial world record.  I'd post that in LetsRun just so people know about it.

Hi to all.

Not that anyone here cares, but the latest-and-least-greatest Seattle Marathon (Nov) course is crappy.  I mean it's a fine route - I run it probably one weekend out of three - but as someone said, it's a training run, not a race course.  City marathons are supposed to show you the city.

DW and I spent a long day doing a long loop at Mt. Rainier yesterday.  DW complains of getting old and creaky, and doesn't run all that much, and then goes out and does 32-27 mile hilly trail runs no problem.  Two in the last month or so.  Mt. Rainier NP is awesome.  Really wonderful trails, with throngs on the PCT section and exactly 1 person on a lovely 12 mile section at the end.

AceHarris

Keen: I'm having trouble spotting you in that video only because I can't take my eyes off the guy falling!! Haha!

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew: I'm not exactly the right person to say this, but sometimes you use a lot of words to describe what one workout is like.  In fact, thinking about it some more, on a words/mile basis you are a piker compared to me.

Hi to all.

Not that anyone here cares, but the latest-and-least-greatest Seattle Marathon (Nov) course is crappy.  I mean it's a fine route - I run it probably one weekend out of three - but as someone said, it's a training run, not a race course.  City marathons are supposed to show you the city.

DW and I spent a long day doing a long loop at Mt. Rainier yesterday.  DW complains of getting old and creaky, and doesn't run all that much, and then goes out and does 32-27 mile hilly trail runs no problem.  Two in the last month or so.  Mt. Rainier NP is awesome.  Really wonderful trails, with throngs on the PCT section and exactly 1 person on a lovely 12 mile section at the end.

Didn't you look back at Tahoe 200 to see if I was there when I stopped using words for a few minutes? You're concerned with the amount of words I use to describe a workout yet, I know you enjoy going deep into my brain during my race reports. Wink I miss you too max. Glad you and DW are getting out. Seems like some fresh air and time together is helping you and her out a lot this year. I'm mixed about "big city marathons" and seeing every tourist attraction. I'm not exactly running the race to tour the city. They have rental bikes *cough* RLK *COUGH* for touring a booming metropolis.

UTMB live stream. Yeah I'm watching it. Track events don't keep my attention long enough. The -10C "Mandatory cold Kit" sounds awesome. The event looks fun but I'd want to know French REALLY well before going there. Mostly in the language of wine. I hope Timmy T wins this year. A couple 3rd places in a couple 100 mile finishes make me think he is a LITTLE better at it than Mr. W.

Some Thursday run friends I recently joined up with are tossing around a McNugget Mile. Difference sauce each "lap" and possibly a "random draw bag" at the end a la Mountain Outpost style. There was discussion of inviting those crazies due to the proximity.

keen wwait....there is a video?!@?!! I can't see it at work so I'm going off the photo at the top.

dw Thanks. I kind of needed that.

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - I am at least on the right-hand side. Yellow singlet with my head just behind the start banner when the video begins. The video cuts just before the guy next to me nearly trips me. Thanks for the UTMB link. Work is slow today. It's interesting to try picking out the bad weather gear they're all wearing (assuming it isn't sponsored gear).
                            I agree with DWave's assessment about day(s) off.

DWave - As close as you are to the coast I'd imagine that it's hard for you to escape humidity/high DPs for most/all of the year. I clearly missed the mug picture - perhaps I'll try finding it.

Max - I was quite polite in how I typed my email. Less so in how I composed it in my head.
                            Don't all marathon courses in your home city end up being "just a training run"? I know you run that distance more than most, but around here leading up to the marathon people are running big chunks of the course every weekend. Course familiarity is great and all, but at the same time it kind of wears away at some of the excitement of the race.
                            Awesome that you and DW are getting out and doing so much.

I found out that the local track is going to be resurfaced at some time during the fall/winter. Something about flaws in the surface, though aside from a couple damaged places I don't know what those flaws are. At least the company is doing it as a warranty type thing, and I'm not having to pay for it this time.

Since the OKC Memorial is on my mind perhaps I should bring it up to work - the company always sponsors a water stop and gets some entries for it that go to employees. Maybe I could convince them to do their drawing more than 6 weeks out from race day.

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

oregon- Thanks! Hoping the new approach helps. I haven't run mileage this consistently high in awhile, and now that I've gotten my sleep schedule under control, it feels pretty good. I was struggling for awhile with going to bed + waking up early enough to get in 10+ miles before work, and then to feel okay and not like a zombie during the run itself. Doing much better with it now. Also I think I've lost a little bit of weight just from the mileage - IMO this is the way to achieve "race weight", naturally through training, since if it's intentional it probably means withholding eating at times.

Good luck running in Orlando..!

dwave- +1 on the "old school" factor driving silly preferences like no yoga or no mile repeats. Just because something wasn't mainstream in the 70s doesn't mean it's not a good idea now!

max- You found the answer! Yes, CIM, again... I don't think I'll devise my numerical race goals until later in the fall, but I'm in a weird spot in terms of: a) I have not yet achieved what previous-fitness-level-RLK should have been able to, and b) fall 2018 RLK is slated to be measurably more fit than previous version of RLK. = In 2015 I had the goal of 3:18, and in 2017 I had the goal of 3:15, and I have not yet achieved either, but I will be shooting for better than either of those this fall. Meh.

Also, DBF and I will be in your digs for a long weekend around 9/13. If you and J are around and want to run/drink bougie coffee/etc, would be great to see you!

I've actually never been there before, so will take any particular running/food (veg) recs if you have.

city marathons- I guess it makes most sense for a course to be a city tour, but tbh if I am racing it, I'm not going to pick up on a lot of that!  That's how I felt about Chicago. Enjoyed the tour for about 15 miles and the rest of it is a blur of hot sunshine and streets without trees. My favorite way to tour a city is to spend a few days there and do a run each day in a different area - you can just see more.

Brew- "mcnugget mile" makes me cry

I'm not watching livestream of UTMB (you get a few seconds of action every several minutes?! lol) but I will be refreshing irunfar's twitter feed throughout the day... Kinda hoping Kilian doesn't have his stereotypical dominant day, because that honestly makes it less interesting to watch. I hope Jim makes some moves (within his control... let's not get swept down a river, shall we) and shakes Kilian a bit. And ofc it would be awesome if Timmy were up there, but I don't see him as on the same level. Maybe I'll be eating my words later today.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

UTMB - The female commentator (Rory Bosio), in particular, is hilarious. Cases in point:
                                Killian's black and white shorts and pack are "chic like an oreo".
                                UTMB and other such longer races are great for single women because there are a lot of guys "and they're all wearing spandex. You can check out the goods!".

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4