2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

Jim E

rune - What she said. It's a little tricky at the moment, although (mostly) flat. Speaking of courses, have you seen the new Oakland Marathon course? They took out the big hill to make it faster, but it now has a bajillion turns and a downtown loop that is run twice. Enjoy!

OMR

Jim:  Yeah, I didn't intend to suggest the correlation/causation thing, or running 26.2 (or more) every weekend as training advice.  I seem to recall him crediting it for a big psychological boost.  But I could be wrong about that.  And I think he was running either 30mpw or 100+.  (But I could be wrong about that, too.)

Dwave:  One of my favorite Gait Guys moments:  Dr. Allen is giving a lecture on applied gait hip mechanics.  Somewhere in there, he asks his students a question, and nobody responds.  And then he says, "Geez, a bunch of zombies this semester."  (This is me at least once a week, so I'm glad to see it happens to someone else once in a while.)

rlk:  Well, right now, a 100-meter sprint is more than I can handle.  I think I managed to run one at about 8:00/mile pace today, so I'm pretty sure you can kick my a$$ at all distances.

Dwave (part 2):  I think you run your easy runs easier than most.  This is neither a criticism of your easy run pace, nor a criticism of the pace other people run their easy runs.  Just an observation.

rlk (part 2):  If he runs faster than you, then you have two choices:  you either marry him or dump him.  I see no other alternatives here.

I've never had stroopwaffles.

I know more than a couple people who believe if you run 22 miles easy, whatever that time winds up being aligns with your potential marathon race time.  

I think that derives from Pfitzinger, but it's not pure "easy" ... using his MP+20% (first third), MP+15% (middle), then MP+10% (last third) guideline for LRs ... gets you pretty close.

rlk ~ Good racing; not too far off your PR (which needs to go bye bye). Yes, bf will beat you soon.

JimE ~ Looks like you did OK too.

Jerry miles, aka "Badger" miles ... from U of Wisconsin (where he went to school). That's how I did all my miles when I was young (pre-GPS). That's also how I do my ElliptiGo "miles" (9 min = 1 mile running, even though I actually travel a bit more).

pepperjack

pie man

Officially a no for NYC.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Officially a no for NYC.

Bummer. But look on the bright side, saves a few $$$, right?

fb-guy

PJ -- Crappo.

Milers  -- the whole thing sounds like a blast. Mark me envious. And the 2x5k combined age relay is brilliant;

Jim! -- good luck in Napa. What a great race; I don't know about tracking either, but I'll look into it and will be here checking on Sunday morning. I'm guessing you are in 60-64. Go win.

RLK -- being slower than female significant other (other than a cat) could be pretty tough on DBF.

OMR -- I really like the mechanics stuff; I was just getting into it when I crashed. Maybe I'll keep it together this time and see it through. Your idea that we need to do this stuff to stay on the road, and we want to stay on the road, rings true to me. Heck, by the time we get really old we're going to need great mechanics just to walk.

Nick -- thanks for the atta boy, but you are giving me way to much credit. haha. I can totally screw this up.

Dad -- I'm woefully behind, and I know you have shorter races coming up -- are you going to try to crush a mile?

I tried one of those zen, run at a low HR runs day. Measured breathing, a little meditation, good mechanics, some chanting, and Chi Gong. 6.5@8:06 in the low 120s.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

runethechamp

Jim - Yes, I saw the new course, and from their facebook posts it looks like lots of people are really mad about it. Since I started my current training program I've been debating whether I would run the full or the half. The hills scared me a bit even if they are early in the race, just due to the impact they have on running later in the race. Even though the new course is a lot more boring I figured the real boring part is early on in the race, so I'm giving it a shot. It will also give a good gauge on where I stand on this distance for my next one in Amsterdam in October.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

Dad -- I'm woefully behind, and I know you have shorter races coming up -- are you going to try to crush a mile?

Probably several, depends on how scheduling plays out, but there are road miles in mid-April (Main St), early May (La Milla de Mayo), late May (Loudoun), mid July (Harrisburg), early Sep (Frederick), and late Sep (Navy) on my calendar. I will also do some track meets (mile and/or 3000m), but see myself training through all those (if they ever get scheduled).

OMR

PJ:  Sorry to hear you didn't win the lottery.

Dad:  Mile races around here are a rarity.

Jim:  Oh yeah, Napa.  Good luck this weekend!

fb:  Yeah, I've become fascinated by it (gait/mechanics).  I've gained enough strength now that I can tell (I think) when my pelvis is out of proper alignment.  It only takes about 100 meters before I have to really focus on holding it in the right place, but I'm also doing resistance band strengthening in between runs to reinforce good habits, so I tire pretty quickly.

1.3 miles for me today...no more than 200 meters at a time (which seems like a really long distance right now).

Dad:  Mile races around here are a rarity.

You could always stop early in a 5K. 

1.3 is a start.

On your pelvic alignment, two things: 1) any chance you tore/strained one of the muscles in your azz (I'm serious)? and 2) have you looked at how you sleep, drive, sit at work, etc. to see if you are perpetuating imbalance?

Speed Surplus

"Clever -- I'm a big advocate of running sick; I'm sure you get better faster. Me? I've been running in the cold and rain, and I've been sick for 3+ weeks. hmmmmm."

Well, I usually end up running through light colds, but I just haven't had the will this week. Today was my first run and I only managed 3.5 on the treadmill.

Maybe I'll feel amazing tomorrow and bang out 10, then another 10 on Saturday, and 14 on Sunday...  I'm probably not going to have time for all that.

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Probably several, depends on how scheduling plays out, but there are road miles in mid-April (Main St), early May (La Milla de Mayo), late May (Loudoun), mid July (Harrisburg), early Sep (Frederick), and late Sep (Navy) on my calendar. I will also do some track meets (mile and/or 3000m), but see myself training through all those (if they ever get scheduled).

Many of those are on my list also.  Main St. isn't happening due to Botulism, and La Milla de Mayo may be too soon after.

PJ - sorry about NYC.

FB - yay for zen runs.

Hi to all the rest of you.  10 "miles" pool-running and upper body weights/core this morning.  Tomorrow morning's tempo on the track has been cancelled due to forecast apocalyptic winds.  I'm planning on going to my favorite place - under the Whitehurst Freeway - to tempo there.

(don't want to tempo on a treadmill since I haven't run on one in years - asking for injury.  Plus widespread power outages are forecast, so that may not be an option anyway).

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

OMR

You could always stop early in a 5K. 

1.3 is a start.

On your pelvic alignment, two things: 1) any chance you tore/strained one of the muscles in your azz (I'm serious)? and 2) have you looked at how you sleep, drive, sit at work, etc. to see if you are perpetuating imbalance?

1) I don't think so.  I mostly think it is a latent muscle that is severely under-developed.

2) I am probably the epitome of bad habits...

sleep:  usually, a cat is sleeping between my legs.

driving:  ok, so normally I don't drive much (it's a mile to work - about 5 minutes)

work:  I teach, so that part is standing, and when I have students work on a problem, I try to take advantage of it to do single-leg balancing exercises.  But, I think I've been doing them wrong, in that I haven't been paying attention to some things, like my sagittal plane.  There is also the fact that because I don't have an office this year, I have to carry "everything" to work.  It typically is three different bags, with books, papers, a laptop, food, running clothes, etc.  My guess is an extra 20-30 pounds.  And I typically carry things on my right side, which subsequently requires an angular shift of my upper body over my left hip, which subsequently requires my knee to move medially in order to balance all of the weight over my left leg.

So, yes, I have been perpetuating imbalance and bad habits without knowing it...probably for decades.  Right now, I am focusing on proper form when walking and running, which is more difficult than one might think.  I think I have progressed to the point where my knee doesn't immediately track inward...at least not as much.  But, I still have to pay attention to it.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

sleep:  usually, a cat is sleeping between my legs.

I know this story well.  If I get out of bed in the middle of the night, then getting back in is like a game of tetris (three cats, one of whom gets very vocal if disturbed, plus sig other who is a very light sleeper).

12 miles for me today (I think - was under the Whitehurst, so all distances are estimates).  3 mile warm-up, then a tempo of around 4 miles in around 26 minutes, plus 5 mile cooldown, injury prevention work, recovery swimming.

Went under the Whitehurst freeway to avoid bad winds (gusts of 60-70mph)  Wasn't too bad under there for the most part, since the worst of the wind was blocked by buildings.  Occasionally I'd catch a gust that made its way between buildings, and that was fun - I almost literally got blown off my feet once.  But got the workout done at the right effort in safe conditions (I was most worried about falling branches) so woo.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

fb-guy

[childish_rant]

Can I just complain about the weather? We got through the Siberian jetstream with lots of freezing and snow, and now we get 8 out of the next 10 days raining. Growing mushrooms between the toes is getting old.

[/childish_rant]

The Boston storm sounds bad and it has already rolled into NYC.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35