2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

E78 ~ Excellent cycle! Hope you get opportunity to cash in on fitness. Really impressed w/ Monday workout.

Rovatti ~ Hope the break works.

SC ~ Hope the knee is just a quirk. Like DkW I've had things like that come and go just as quickly.

My week:

M) 7.5

Tu) 7.5

W) 12.5 w/ 12 min tempo, 6x1 min hills (~4K effort), 12 min tempo; 3 min jog b/w

Th) 9.5 & ElliptiGO 45'

F) 8

Sa) 13 w/ Michigan workout: mile @10K, mile tempo, 1200m @ 8K, mile tempo, 800m @ 5K, mile tempo, 400m @ 3K; 3 min jog b/w segments

Su) 9 w/ strides

Total: 67 (+"5" ElliptiGO)

251.5 for March; 797.5 YTD

AceHarris

All of you that are training for that Monday race: excited for you all and impressed with your workouts and progress. Looking forward to stalking  tracking you in a couple weeks.  Hoping conditions are great for you all.

Finally got out for a run yesterday. I thought all my soreness was gone, but an easy 4 miles reminded me there are still some stiff areas. Still completing PT for this hip thing. It's still driving me a little crazy. It's unpredictable. Felt great the last couple days, but was pretty sore on yesterday's run. Now it seems to be better when I'm more active. Who knows.

Essentially starting a new training cycle with the next two weeks of just easy runs and some strides. I'm going to try to get on the trails if I can.

Pesto and FB: you guys are racing this weekend, right?? How are we feeling?

Dad: Nice mileage so far this year? Do you have a yearly goal?

The Runner's World site is different these days and seems to work a little better. Enjoyed the article on Shalane Flanagan.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

so excited for our Barstownians! tell us, how's the taper going?

lotta miles from a lot of people, eliz in particular - nice work!

ace- ha, i have not been on that website since they shut the forums down!

i ran another track meet this weekend. beefy mile PR - 5:38! (full mile, not 1600). all of those 200s and 15sec hill sprints seem to be working.

flotrack actually streamed the meet/has videos - my flotrack debut! - except i think they had the B team filming our meet and sent the A team to the stanford invitational across the bay ... their video coverage (for distance races) is just super-zoomed in on the leader the whole time, so much so that you can't even tell where on the track they are, let alone see the rest of the field.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Speed Surplus

Well, I took Saturday off completely and used the Stick on my left quad until I couldn't stand it anymore - there were some knots and tender spots.

Then I ran a short one on Sunday. I felt the tiniest hint of tightness in the knee at about 3.5 miles, so I stopped and stretched. Jogged home from there without further incident. So I'm hopeful that I'm good to go this week.

I hope I haven't lost too much training time already. I was planning on hitting 52 miles last week and I only managed about half of that. I feel like I'm running out of time, although I do have 8.5 weeks left.

<tfoot> </tfoot>
          Day Miles Pace Duration Description HR Egain Link
          Tue 7.2 8:42 1:02 Boring but probably smart treadmill 138 (76%) 0 strava
          Wed 7.1 8:36 1:00 Average 7 mile loop 139 (76%) 476 strava
          Thu 6.4 8:23 0:53 So fresh and so clean (I'm running out of titles) 137 (75%) 220 strava
          Fri 1.1 8:33 0:09 Knee exploded 131 (72%) 16 strava
          Fri 0.3 8:13 0:02 Still exploded 127 (70%) 0 strava
          Sun 3.4 8:33 0:29 Knee better, but short to play it safe. 135 (74%) 73 strava
          Sun 1.1 9:05 0:09 Morning Run 139 (76%) 144 strava
            26.6 8:35 3:48     929

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

E11 - Great job on picking up the mileage!

Dad - Good week.

Ace - What's your next goal race? Surely the hip will straighten out with the coming easy weeks. "Hitch in the giddy-up" Ha! For some reason it amuses me to see people from not-my-area use phrases like this that I'm familiar with.

RLK - Awesome speed on the track. I've been meaning to run a fast mile, but haven't worked it in yet.

Logged my biggest week of the year so far. My LR/workout on Friday was pretty great. I'm certain the HR is all wrong for most of it, likely due to the cold (optical HR, forgot the chest strap). I had done a similar LR (without the T mile) on a flat path in the middle of March and somehow this workout felt easier, despite the hills and T pace mile to cap it all off. I went by perceived effort and Stryd output rather than pace due to the hills, but Strava GAP had me right at at or a little faster than plan for the workout segments. I had spent the few days previous to this workout on the treadmill without much of any airflow, so conditions were quite a bit warmer there than I had otherwise been used to. I wonder if that could have had any effect in the cooler conditions.

Looking forward to my first 10k next Sunday.

Monday, Mar 26, 2018 thru Sunday, Apr 01, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
            Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
            Mon 10.1 7:32 Daniels' I, 6x 2 min, 8x 1 min, 1/2 time reco 152 (78%) strava
            Tue 10.8 7:55 It's not raining in London 141 (72%) strava
            Wed 11.1 7:49 Fog and no sidewalks? Netflix time. Better Call Saul, S3 145 (74%) strava
            Thu 10.3 7:50 It's hard for a country boy to complain about rain, but I miss my dirt roads. 142 (72%) strava
            Thu 2.1 7:44 Quick double with some strides 144 (73%) strava
            Fri 14.1 7:04 Daniels' 10M, 1T, + strides. This felt oddly easy. 149 (76%) strava
            Sat 11.7 8:08 2 deer, 1 hawk, 1 woodpecker, & all the hills in western Oklahoma 142 (72%) strava
              70.2 7:41

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

... not 1600 ... 

Damn right!

Congrats. Is that a lifetime PR (i.e., HS and all)? 5K thru HM (at least) also ripe to fall.

Ace ~ 3000. Mostly b/c it means I'm healthy and consistent.

SC ~ I won't say anything about the good news on your knee in hopes that it doesn't jinx it.

Speed Surplus

Dad - Thanks - maybe we should outlaw the K-word in this forum and just use euphemisms, like we do for a certain April race.

So, we'll see how the old kegerator holds up on today's run...

fb-guy

Dad -- that annualizes to 3200-ish miles; monstrous. Hope you are feeling strong with a fast mile coming up.

RLK -- a fast mile!!! That is very good, and on flotrack no less. Well done. We saw DD1 on flotrack for a couple of college invitationals.

Clever -- good luck with what might be a tight IT band. Stick and foam roller call.

Keen -- 70 at 7:46. Excellent. That's pointing in a really good direction.

Barstow team -- you are all loaded and ready to go. What a solid group and exceptional cycles and some great final hard workouts. Wow; I get a little cautious the closer the race gets, and you all nailed it. Enjoy the taper!

Pesto -- countdown.

Ace -- thanks for asking. Things seem fine here. I'm going to go 20, 30, 30, 20 the last four weeks (not good), but with a handful of tempos runs. Hopefully its enough. I've been doing lots of stairlifts, which seems to have settle my calf knot down. At least I sure hope so. I'm thinking of starting with the 3:30 pace group, and if it feels like a stretch, quickly throttle back.

More data. I've always kept track of my race cycles in a spreadsheet, and I like numbers. This used to help me with pacing; not so much today. But it's fun. So here are my last 27 marathons. If you can see anything in tea leaves, let me know.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

fb- ha! i like this spreadsheet, especially the "fun" "beer" "stupid" -type descriptions.

dad- indeed, lifetime PR. my history is: HS 1600 best was 5:59, college years best was I think 5:51 at the 5th ave mile, 5:20 1500 a few weeks ago.
                    i have a 5k at the end of april which is a goal race. given a 19:40 5k a few weeks ago and the mile I just ran, i wonder if you can help me set a goal/predict for this next 5k?

Speed Surplus

RLK - I ran 5:27 and 19:03 in the same track season a couple years ago. So probably 19:10s to 19:20s?

rlk ~ Both McMillan and Daniels have your mile equivalent to my 3000m (11:10.99). Daniels says that's a 19:19 5K, which sounds about right to me -- I ran a 19:25 on a cold, windy day 12 days earlier. McMillan lines up to 19:39, which is about where you're at. I'd guess my fast twitch fibers are dying off fast, while yours are just awakening. I say 19:28.

Of course, 2x1.5 w/ 400m jog is great 5K predictor (and workout too). You could aim for a bit faster and no harm if you blow up.

fb ~ Mostly I feel tired. Lots of numbers!!!

CDR K ~ Great week. So fast.

AceHarris

keen: I was planning on going after some 5k, 10k, HM PRs this spring and early summer. I think this hip thing may take longer and I may need to focus on getting through it instead of racing, but we'll see. Today's lunch run was awful. Made it a mile and pain was just ramping up.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

sclever, dad- appreciate the insight, thank you! goal adjusted - i think i'll aim for 19:25 / 6:15s. that's the secondary goal, though ... my main goal is to beat the bf!

and ha - "You could aim for a bit faster and no harm if you blow up." not running marathons is the best Smile

darkwave

Mother of Cats

RLKCONGRATS!!!!  It's so awesome to see the 5K and mile PRs come falling.  No insight on 5K potential - others have that covered very well.

FB - interesting chart.  I can't make much out of it, to be honest (other than that you've run a ton of marathons, and I really shouldn't be presuming to give advice).

SC - good news on the knee.

Hi to all others!  Mondays are busy, so this is post and run.  7 "miles" pool-running and DIY yoga for me today.  Last week was 56 miles plus 20 "miles" pool-running.

M: 9.5 "miles" pool-running.
                              T: 2.5 very easy to yoga (9:22), yoga, then 6.5 very easy home (8:47) plus drills
                              W: 7.5 very easy to gym (8:48), upper body weights/core, then 3.5 very easy home (8:47) plus drills and strides
                              Th: 10.5 "miles" pool-running plus DIY yoga.
                              F: 10 miles, including a track workout of 3200, 1600 in 12:44 (6:23/6:21) and 6:14.  Also injury prevention work and recovery swimming.
                              Sa: 10 miles very easy (8:44) plus drills and strides; later DIY yoga, upper body weights/core.
                              Su 16 progressive, split as first 5 at 8:38, next 5 at 7:41, last 6 at 6:51.  Also injury prevention work and recovery swimming.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

OMR

fb:  That's a cool spreadsheet, especially the part about how you ran a 2:55 and missed your target.  ;-)  I didn't realize you've run that many marathons.

rlk:  Congrats on the mile PR!

SC:  Hope that knee thing is a thing of the past.

Hey to everyone.