Best Neutral Running Shoes (Read 2614 times)

sml5271

RunninDirty

Does anyone have advice on a good pair of neutral running shoes? I am currently wearing Saucony Ride 2's and I get shin splints quite often. I've heard good things about the Brooks Launch, any others??
      Best is relative to you, but for me the Asics Nimbus work well.
        I've run in several pairs of the rides, I am currently wearing out a third pair of Launches.  I really like the Launches, they are a great shoe, very light and flexible.  However, that said they probably are not for everyone.  They are a lighter less substantial shoe, not by a lot, but certainly not as much shoe as a ride.  This is a point where you have ask all the usual questions...are you sure you are neutral runner, did you get your shoes properly fit, are you sure you have shin splints and not something else, why do you have them, what are you doing about them etc.  Like BoilerTom said there is no best shoe for everyone, the Launch is a great shoe if it is a great shoe for you, but I don't know enough to say that it is.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

sml5271

RunninDirty

Well see I had been running in ASICS 2140 series and updates for years and the newer model gave me "lace bite", as diagnosed by the doctor. So instead of running with my orthotics and a stability shoe, I now run with orthotics and a neutral shoe. I think this could be my problem and the source of the shin splits but I don't feel like I know enough about the distinction between stability and neutrality.
            Best is relative to you, but for me the Asics Nimbus work well.

+1 for the Nimbus.........my absolute favorite shoe.  A little on the pricey side, but you can find online (Kelley's Running Warehouse) for pretty good deals.  An alternate to the Nimbus is the Asics Cumulus.  It is a little less expensive, but a good shoe too.  I think these are probably a more cushion shoe than some other options.........some real racers probably would consider them bulky.  Again, I love them........

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

I've been looking for the silver bullet of neutral cushioned trainers, and was very happy with the New Balance 1061/ 1062/1063 line.  Fairly heavy and very well cushioned for long runs.  I've recently begun to have issues with one knee that I believe is ITBS, and I've switched to doing almost all my runs in flats.  Too early in the experiment to tell for sure, but it looks like "too much shoe" might have played a role in creating the issue.

I made the switch based on a number of factors, not the least of which was Nobby pointing out that ITBS problems were practically unheard of before manufacturers started jacking up the height of the heel and the thickness of the sole.

I bring it up, because you may go hunting around through any number of shoes by different manufacturers and find that it's actually an issue with your stride or increasing your mileage too quickly.  I've always tried to lessen impact by paying attention to my stride and form, my motto is quiet feet are happy feet (and in my case it applies to my shins as well).

Good luck with your quest.

E.J.
              Greater Lowell Road Runners
              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

bhearn

Does anyone have advice on a good pair of neutral running shoes? I am currently wearing Saucony Ride 2's and I get shin splints quite often. I've heard good things about the Brooks Launch, any others??

I've had great luck with the Sauconys myself, from the Trigon, Trigon 2, ... Trigon N, Ride, to Ride 2. But now I've switched to the Saucony Kinvara, still a neutral shoe, but much lighter; so far I'm very happy with it. The one main fit difference from the Trigon / Ride series is that it has a lower heel -- I don't know how that would affect shin splints.

Shin splints are normally almost exclusively some combination of your running form and the surfaces you're running on. That may be true here, as well. The "lace bite" issue is probably a direct contributor in your specific case, too, if it's causing any tension or lack of flexibility between your foot and your shin.

SMART Approach

I've had great luck with the Sauconys myself, from the Trigon, Trigon 2, ... Trigon N, Ride, to Ride 2. But now I've switched to the Saucony Kinvara, still a neutral shoe, but much lighter; so far I'm very happy with it. The one main fit difference from the Trigon / Ride series is that it has a lower heel -- I don't know how that would affect shin splints.

Saw these at a running expo this weekend. They look at feel sweet! They are quite light which is why I didn't try them on as I have racers.  I think maybe too light for an everyday trainer for me but for those very efficient in running or a bit lighter, they may be just fine.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

For me i would have to say the nike lunartrainer.  The sole is supportive enough like a trainer shoe, but the upper mesh makes you feel like you are running in one of those racing shoes.
                        For me i would have to say the nike lunartrainer.  The sole is supportive enough like a trainer shoe, but the upper mesh makes you feel like you are running in one of those racing shoes.

Lunar != neutral

Very disappointed, one 5km run and I ended up with achilles inflamation.

ultramarathon/triathlete

love the nike lunar trainer.  Sadly, the don't make it any more.  Lots of other lunar shoes but I haven't tried those.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                          Gatorade Endurance Team

How bout the best nueutral minimal running shoe? 

Nike Free?  Brooks launch?  any ideas ? 

- Anya

mikeymike

How bout the best nueutral minimal running shoe? 

Nike Free?  Brooks launch?  any ideas ? 

Pretty much any racing flat.

Runners run

running yogi

Mizuno Wave Rider works really good for me. I find it quiet a minimalistic shoe.