Snow sucks!! (Read 253 times)

SMART Approach

As I wait for 8-14 inches of snow tonight and tomorrow in Green Bay, I get angry as my therapeutic Sat morning long run will be taken away from me! After stressful weeks of work, I am not a happy camper. Running not only has physical benefits but also mental benefits. BUT, I think you all know that. I long for the day when I can spend my winters in a warmer climate.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Yooper3.1

Calls to mind the following quote from Emil Zatopek:

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem."

Snezi?  To nevadi.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I can sympathize. My long run was compromised by -35*C windchill this week. That's too cold to solo run outside and I had to dreadmill instead which wasn't as long. Do what you can. Find a way to get some run in. The snow will get cleared and hopefully you only miss one long run.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The snow and cold aren't the worst of it, this year.  The motorists are.  A wildly fishtailing motorist nearly took me out earlier in the week...I'd not even made it a mile from home, at that point.  I've been obsessing over homes in NM, lately.  Unfortunately DH really loves his job and company here in MI. *sigh*

My mom and sister are supposed to be flying to FL out of either GB or Milwaukee (I forget which), tomorrow.  It's looking like their flight out will be cancelled.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

SMART Approach

The snow and cold aren't the worst of it, this year.  The motorists are.  A wildly fishtailing motorist nearly took me out earlier in the week...I'd not even made it a mile from home, at that point.  I've been obsessing over homes in NM, lately.  Unfortunately DH really loves his job and company here in MI. *sigh*

My mom and sister are supposed to be flying to FL out of either GB or Milwaukee (I forget which), tomorrow.  It's looking like their flight out will be cancelled.

Hey Zoomy, it has been a while. It is 7am and hasn't snowed in a few hours but is supposed to start again in a couple hours but only another couple inches. Actually not quite as bad as expected. Unless wind picks up, your Mom may be able to get out if an earlier flight. Of course Minneapolis and Detroit weather play a factor too. Hopefully she goes through Atlanta.

On a high note, I heading to run soon as it looks perfectly fine out there now.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Christirei

just finished forty five minutes on the treadmill myself. I hate it. freezing drizzle here and it is slick outside. that with the cold windchills kept me inside today. really bummed because i also think of my saturday long run as a form of catharsis

Christirei

rereading my post and it makes me laugh. five years ago when i was younger and stupid and hadn't been injured seriously I would have been out there this morning. Screw the ice! Three injuries later and it's just not worth it anymore  Smile

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hey Zoomy, it has been a while. It is 7am and hasn't snowed in a few hours but is supposed to start again in a couple hours but only another couple inches. Actually not quite as bad as expected. Unless wind picks up, your Mom may be able to get out if an earlier flight. Of course Minneapolis and Detroit weather play a factor too. Hopefully she goes through Atlanta.

On a high note, I heading to run soon as it looks perfectly fine out there now.

I texted my mom and haven't heard back, so I hope it means she's on a plane.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Six inches of fluffy snow here in southern Maine.  My husband and I sat in our hot tub and drank wine while the snow was still falling.  Smile  Now I have to run on the treadmill if I'm not too tipsy.

Joann Y

Running in the snow does not suck. Getting ready to leave today, dressing in layers and bringing along a backpack with dry socks and jacket reminded me of the ritual of getting ready to ski. It's been a long time since those days. The layers, the socks, the bib, pulling on the boots that are just the right amount of too tight. Embracing the outdoors. The cold. The snow. Getting over to the movie theater didn't feel easy, footing wasn't great, legs were sluggish. Cold but dressed warm enough to enjoy it. Sitting in the theater in all the layers along with extra jacket, after a while I could feel that warmth in the cheeks, that alert feeling, that alive feeling that only exerting oneself in the cold will bring. I wondered if it might be a little like the first cocktail of the evening, that flush to the cheeks. But no, nothing is quite the same. Running home it was snowing gently, prettily, with snow packed on the ground to just the right consistency to get some traction. Lost the sluggishness of earlier, got the icy balance right, and could finally move. Christmas lights in windows, I wondered if I had been in this or that bar over the years. Too many years. The snow and the running brought back memories of running in the snow and cold. Running with a balaclava for the first time in Normal Illinois, freshman year in college. The first run in the snow and cold in Colorado from the place on Azalea by Horseshoe Reservoir where my eyelashes froze for the first and only time. The run in the snow and cold behind Moby Arena where I felt a freezing feeling in the throat and lungs for the first time and wondered if I was hurting something. The years start to weigh heavy. Running with Ben in the snow and cold by the lake and Navy Pier, the magic of Christmas lights and music along with gently falling snow will never leave my mind. Running through the snow around the city happy happy. Always happy. A block from home and the snow gently falling, folks out, yelling boisterously and with joy, playing music and laughing. Oh man. That was a good night.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

mikeymike

Oh man. That was a good night.

And a good read. Thanks.

Runners run

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Do not shame me but it was 30 F and could not force myself out the door last week.  21 days of zero runs. Did 10 yesterday and 5 mile walk and a bit of running. 40F yesterday at 6:30 AM. Today 65F and overcast. The rains held off.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Running in the snow does not suck. Getting ready to leave today, dressing in layers and bringing along a backpack with dry socks and jacket reminded me of the ritual of getting ready to ski. It's been a long time since those days. The layers, the socks, the bib, pulling on the boots that are just the right amount of too tight. Embracing the outdoors. The cold. The snow. Getting over to the movie theater didn't feel easy, footing wasn't great, legs were sluggish. Cold but dressed warm enough to enjoy it. Sitting in the theater in all the layers along with extra jacket, after a while I could feel that warmth in the cheeks, that alert feeling, that alive feeling that only exerting oneself in the cold will bring. I wondered if it might be a little like the first cocktail of the evening, that flush to the cheeks. But no, nothing is quite the same. Running home it was snowing gently, prettily, with snow packed on the ground to just the right consistency to get some traction. Lost the sluggishness of earlier, got the icy balance right, and could finally move. Christmas lights in windows, I wondered if I had been in this or that bar over the years. Too many years. The snow and the running brought back memories of running in the snow and cold. Running with a balaclava for the first time in Normal Illinois, freshman year in college. The first run in the snow and cold in Colorado from the place on Azalea by Horseshoe Reservoir where my eyelashes froze for the first and only time. The run in the snow and cold behind Moby Arena where I felt a freezing feeling in the throat and lungs for the first time and wondered if I was hurting something. The years start to weigh heavy. Running with Ben in the snow and cold by the lake and Navy Pier, the magic of Christmas lights and music along with gently falling snow will never leave my mind. Running through the snow around the city happy happy. Always happy. A block from home and the snow gently falling, folks out, yelling boisterously and with joy, playing music and laughing. Oh man. That was a good night.

Sounds lovely.

Sounds like fun. I believe imma buy a damn treadmill soon. I ran on one 3 days last week and it was okay. Prolly would have been better had it been turned toward the window, but there was a painting kept my attention. Plus, I was thinking about that damn running streak and I can't run before work, could prolly do after work, but a treadmill would be way easier and more safe.