Getting up in the morning. (Read 928 times)

allout88

For all of you out there who are pretty serious and like to get out and run early in the morning to help get more base. How the heck do you inspire yourself to get up? I get really pumped most of the time after my afternoon runs and workouts and watch race videos before i go to bed and i get excited and want to do a morning running. When i wake up however....in my head i think "Screw this...running is for (insert very bad word here)" and don't get out the door to run till 3-5 in the afternoon which really hurts my mileage bad. What inspires you all to get up in the morning for a nice wake up run?
      I did my first 4:30AM run this morning. Bleh. I've done the 5AM'rs before though. Can't wait to get home from work and do my 2nd run of the day though! I'm inspired by wanting to have the time to spend with my wife in the evening, so I don't have to slog through 10+ mile runs every evening after work. However if inspiration doesn't work for those early morning runs, I just force my lazy ass out of bed and HTFU Smile

The Greatest of All Time

I am up at 4:45 M-F for an hour run. I was in the military though so I guess maybe it's easier on me than other folks. For me personally, I love starting off the day with some sweat. I think it makes me feel like I accomplish more in a day than most folks, but I run in the evenings again too. Maybe it's a pride thing. When I am riding the train into the city at 7:45 and I see people that are sleeping, I think "I have already been up for 3 hours, ran for an hour, had a good breakfast, and now I am ready to rock my work day, while your out of shape ass is snoring!" That may make me sound elitist, but so what? That's how I roll and I don't make excuses for being fitter than most people. There is my inspiration. Being a cut above normalcy and mediocrity. Have the dedication and discipline to do what most cannot or will not. Focus on that. Be an overachiever and be proud of it. And when you lay your head on your pillow at night to finally close your eyes and sleep, you will know you got the most out of your day that you could. We don't get time back so use all you can to the fullest. Time=opportunity [steps down off of soap box]
        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
        allout88

i can really respect people like you guys who get up before work and go run in the mornings to pursue your goals. The sad thing about me is i don't have a job...i took this semester off from college for a little break and a transfer. My weekly mileage has had a pretty horrible range over the past month or so going from about 30-65. I am easily in shape to go 70+ a week if i can get the nice easy 45 minute or so in the morning. I had a decent workout today so i think that may help inspire me for a little while. Another question though. What percent of race pace would you do tempo's in? I am generally beginning the base phase of 8k-10k training for xc next season. I'm not fast at all...i think i am generally average. I have ran 16:40's for 5k, but i would like that to be my pace for 8k. So 5:25 race pace. Tempo pace would be just under 6 pace or so?

The Greatest of All Time

Another question though. What percent of race pace would you do tempo's in? I am generally beginning the base phase of 8k-10k training for xc next season. I'm not fast at all...i think i am generally average. I have ran 16:40's for 5k, but i would like that to be my pace for 8k. So 5:25 race pace. Tempo pace would be just under 6 pace or so?
            I could give a long drawn out answer, but plug your numbers into either one of these and you will get some ideas... http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm http://www.runworks.com/calculator.html

allout88

Thanks a lot man. I really like the McMillan site a lot and it should help with my training big time.
              kcam

I don't run mornings except Sat and Sunday. I get up at my normal time (6AM) and hit the ground running. I love the feeling of getting back from a 20miler and it's only 9 or 10AM! You still have your whole day ahead of you and bygawd you just ran 20 miles! If I waited till 3pm to do a 20 miler it would NEVER happen. Running long distances is kinda anti-social so I try to be selfish when my wife (and when the kids were still in the house) is still sleeping.
                allout88

Dude that is crazy. I think about the longest long run i have done is around 16 miles or so. Usually only go 12-14, but i'm not training for marathons just yet...although i might peak at 85 miles per week or so this summer and go out and try to do a 2 hour run or so. I have never trained consistently for longer than 3-4 months. I am really excited to see what will happen after a year or so.
                    For all of you out there who are pretty serious and like to get out and run early in the morning to help get more base. How the heck do you inspire yourself to get up? I get really pumped most of the time after my afternoon runs and workouts and watch race videos before i go to bed and i get excited and want to do a morning running. When i wake up however....in my head i think "Screw this...running is for (insert very bad word here)" and don't get out the door to run till 3-5 in the afternoon which really hurts my mileage bad. What inspires you all to get up in the morning for a nice wake up run?
                    I get to bed early. Period. If I stay up late, more often than not my wife and I do not get up.

The Greatest of All Time

I get to bed early. Period. If I stay up late, more often than not my wife and I do not get up.
                      I forgot to mention that. I am in bed by 9:00 pm.

allout88

Oh..yeah i have never been too swift on getting to bed too early...as you can see it's 10:25 and i am not very tired. I guess i just have to try and start a new sleep pattern of getting up at 6:30 and going to bed before 10 and even if it hurts just keep doing it till it feels natural.

Non ducor, duco.

I get up at 5 every morning but most of the time I spend my early morning studying. When I do run, I find that laying my clothes, shoes, and watch out the night before really helps. Then I dont have to think at all. I just jump in running clothes and head out the door. Im with you in needing to do more early am running since Im already up. It is my absolute favorite thing to do. Good luck.
                          jeffdonahue

21 days... thats what they say it takes to form a routine. So you just need to force yourself out each day. When the alarm goes off, I find it helps to get up and pee - then at least you are already standing and then just head to the door instead of back to the bedroom.
                              Anyone else have trouble with tightness in the morning? If I run after work, I feel fine; however, in the mornings my legs are tight and the run is painful. Anyone over come this? Suggestions?
                              Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

It's like anything else - you either discipline yourself to do it or you don't. There aren't any magic incantations that will make this happen for you; it's all about the decisions you make. That being said, here are a few things that make the journey out the door at 4:45 easier for me: 1. Have everything laid out the night before. You'd be amazed how easy it is to say "I can't find a sock, I'm going back to bed". 2. Early to bed - easier said than done. 3. Forget the snooze button. Instead of setting the alarm for 4:10 and snoozing till 4:30, just set it for 4:30 - you get a bit more sleep that way. 4. A training partner is helpful 5. repeat, repeat, repeat. The more you do it, the easier it gets. 6. Get out the door as soon as you can. The less time there is between the time your feet hit the floor and the you being outside running, the less opportunity you have to talk yourself back in to bed.