Shorts vs tights (Read 1047 times)

0 to -3C, so far... Wink
    I'm the same, if it isn't snowing and there is no wind I know I would be comfortable wearing shorts in -10C, I don't though because I'm sure people would be thinking........What is he trying to prove.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

VictorN

For my old knees, I tend to go for running pants when it is below 50F for any training runs. Races are a different matter. If is a short race, I might race in shorts down to 32F. Victor
        Was -1C this morning. Wore shorts and was surprisingly comfortable. I'm a newbie that only runs 15-min. miles, but my calves were toasty.

Hawt and sexy

Um, I wear skirts. If it is too cold for a skirt and I am not racing, I am on my treadmill.

I'm touching your pants.

New Runner

I guess I'm weird. I always wear pants.
              Loose tights under 30 degrees. Polypro plus loose tights under 18 degrees. Over 30 and not windy I'm fine with shorts or capris
              Loose tights! My new favorite oxymoron!
                I've been noticing many more of the CRW-X tights in Central Park these days. Anyone have any experience with them?
                I'm condemned by a society that demands success when all I can offer is failure. -Max Bialystock
                  Pants/tights if it is under 40F.
                  pandajenn19

I've got some lightweight, thin but loose pants that I wear for the 30-50ish range. Below 30 I wear a thicker pair of pants that aren't tights, but are relatively form fitting. They are looser around the hips because I'll add a pair of padded shorts and wear them for my winter bike rides. My knee warmers fit under them, too. Smile
                      Tights if it's under 3°C.

Targets 1) No injuries 2) Keep having fun 3) Some kind of PR

40 and up: running skirt 35-40 capris/pants 35 and under: thermal tights It was 33 degrees when I ran this morning. I had a thin, long-sleeve base layer with a long-sleeve half-zip and thermal tights on, and it was absolutely comfortable! But then again I only ran 4+ miles. Eunice

Beatin' on the Rock

ok, the other part of the equation is how fast are you. i think the faster the runner, the more internal heat is generated, and the lower the short/tight threshold is. clearly mc is much faster than i am. or i'm a weenie. you decide.
                          I'd have to see you both in tights to vote... Blush
                          Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.
                          VictorN

ok, the other part of the equation is how fast are you.
                            Another variable is how old you are...at least for me. I try to keep my old legs warmer than in the past. It seems to help to keeps my muscles loose and my joints less stiff. Victor
                              Always shorts... love the NC weather.

Half Fanatic #846

The day before Christmas at 7:00 am it was 34 degrees here in NORTH FLORIDA! Surprised I started a 15 mile run (my longest so far) at 7:45 am. I went with shorts, technical SS tee, and a lightweight jacket. Unfortunately, I was going to wear socks on my hands, but forgot them (forgot the socks - not the hands!). The first 4 miles my hands were freezing and I kept putting them in my jacket pockets, but the legs seemed ok. After that, I didn't need the socks and I ditched the jacket at about mile 7. The rest of the run was pretty comfy, but I'm sure it had warmed up by then. I have running pants, but probably wouldn't use them unless it was below freezing. -Bill

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!